28 minutes ago, jednc said:

Someone told me today that Charlotte pipe and foundry had been sold to Tepper. They are a reliable source, I just don't know about their source.

It has not. COULD be under contract, but also more likely a ground lease is in place, not a total sale. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, jednc said:

Someone told me today that Charlotte pipe and foundry had been sold to Tepper. They are a reliable source, I just don't know about their source.

I know where their land is in Oakboro or outside of Oakboro and people out there are excited about it in Stanly  County.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 9:16 PM, dnlleffingwell said:

Hopefully sooner than later.  Yepper doesn't play around. He know what he wants.

He apparently doesn’t want to build a whole lot of goodwill with the community.  Less than transparent negotiations with the city regarding MLS,  potentially asking for millions of dollars to renovate a stadium that he intends to abandon in the next decade for a new multi-billion dollar stadium for which he will ask for hundreds of millions-if not over a billion- from taxpayers.  Says he wants to build a winning organization yet presides over a mass exodus of star Panthers including Keuchly, Thomas Davis, Olsen, Rivera, and probably Cam Newton.  He hires unproven college coaches when there were multiple high profile NFL OCs and other coaches available.   

I really don’t know why people seem to like him so much.  I think we are about to go through some years with the Panthers that will, in some ways, be eerily reminiscent of the Hornets in the late 90s and early 00s under Shinn and Wooldridge.  I don’t think he’ll ever move the team out of the area but I think he will ultimately burn a ton of bridges here and he will create the type of apathy around the Panthers that plagues the Hornets to this day even though Shinn and Wooldridge are long gone.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/29/2020 at 8:24 AM, InSouthPark said:

Tepper doesn't seem to be one that wants anything to do with a lease.   He wouldn't even take on any investors in buying his 2 billion dollar franchise because  he didn't want anyone in his ear.  And we all know a lease is just throwing away money...and Tepper is all about investing his money for the future.  

The current stadium is on a ground lease...

I think with the brownfield site that is Charlotte Pipe will be eligible for tax brakes and grants that are more likely attained by Charlotte Pipe than Tepper. I think a fruitful partnership could result from starting as a ground lease (which HAS already been agreed too).  Tepper is looking to purchase land nearby, but he can use multiple vehicles to develop the area, a ground lease is just one of these tools. A 99 year ground lease is basically owning the land. 

Ground rent, ground lease, leasehold, and similar terms are similar to an ancient term emphyteusis . Emphyteutic lease means lease holder has full rights to the land and improvements and operates as the owner, pays taxes and such, in exchange for land rent, discounted due to limited time of lease and inability to sell land fee simple. Term is still used in Central and South America, Canada, Italy and a few other countries. A vanishing legal term in the U. S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphyteusis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Ground rent, ground lease, leasehold, and similar terms are similar to an ancient term emphyteusis . Emphyteutic lease means lease holder has full rights to the land and improvements and operates as the owner, pays taxes and such, in exchange for land rent, discounted due to limited time of lease and inability to sell land fee simple. Term is still used in Central and South America, Canada, Italy and a few other countries. A vanishing legal term in the U. S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emphyteusis

the state of Hawai'i has probably the most ground leases in America as percentage of developments.  Most of modern Honolulu is on ground leases. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

He apparently doesn’t want to build a whole lot of goodwill with the community.  Less than transparent negotiations with the city regarding MLS,  potentially asking for millions of dollars to renovate a stadium that he intends to abandon in the next decade for a new multi-billion dollar stadium for which he will ask for hundreds of millions-if not over a billion- from taxpayers.  Says he wants to build a winning organization yet presides over a mass exodus of star Panthers including Keuchly, Thomas Davis, Olsen, Rivera, and probably Cam Newton.  He hires unproven college coaches when there were multiple high profile NFL OCs and other coaches available.   

I really don’t know why people seem to like him so much.  I think we are about to go through some years with the Panthers that will, in some ways, be eerily reminiscent of the Hornets in the late 90s and early 00s under Shinn and Wooldridge.  I don’t think he’ll ever move the team out of the area but I think he will ultimately burn a ton of bridges here and he will create the type of apathy around the Panthers that plagues the Hornets to this day even though Shinn and Wooldridge are long gone.

Don't count me in the camp that "likes" him. I want to. I've tried to. There have been too many red flags with Tepper for me to like him. It started long before anything you mentioned in your post, although those things have moved the needle even further down for me.

• Like 2

^ Surely professional appraisers would recognize that there is not a big enough (or liquid enough) market for stadaii to be able to find meaningful comparables. Surely.....

In this sort of scenario I would think replacement cost - depreciation would be the only way to find a reasonable value.  So yea, I think Tepper might be about to put himself between a rock and a hard place (not that it will matter)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

Right... Because...

He forced Luke to retire and hasn't allowed him back into the locker room.

He didn't resign Thomas Davis who barely beat replaceable level via PFF

He didn't resign Greg Olsen. The often injured and bench rated player via PFF

He didn't extend Ron Rivera who refuses to evolve, was likely carried by a healthy Cam during his winning years, and at worst needed a change of scenery.

He doesn't know what to do with Cam Newton. BC who does. Is he healthy? Will he ever be?

He hired two of the most sought after college coaches by many teams in the NFL. 

Who wants MLS funded by a tourism tax?

What would you have done differently as an owner?

I have long loved ALL of the players/coaches mentioned in my post, but there comes a time for change and as sad as it may be, the time is now. 

He pinched his wife's ass at a press conference.

He mocked a reporter because he thought he shouldn't have to repeat something in a press release.

He's made several rude/questionable remarks at press conferences/photo opps that make him sound like a d*ck.

As I said in my post, most of my issues started long before anything you've mentioned.

The "trophy" wife doesn't help me like him either.

11 minutes ago, jednc said:

He pinched his wife's ass at a press conference.

He mocked a reporter because he thought he shouldn't have to repeat something in a press release.

He's made several rude/questionable remarks at press conferences/photo opps that make him sound like a d*ck.

As I said in my post, most of my issues started long before anything you've mentioned.

The "trophy" wife doesn't help me like him either.

So you don't like him personally. Noted. If only he'd have asked to shave his trophy wife's legs before they were married.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

So you don't like him personally. Noted. If only he'd have asked to shave his trophy wife's legs before they were married.

Based on what I've seen, he probably did.

In all seriousness, I didn't like what Jerry did and was disappointed in him. Money seems to make people think the rules don't apply to them.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jednc said:

Based on what I've seen, he probably did.

In all seriousness, I didn't like what Jerry did and was disappointed in him. Money seems to make people think the rules don't apply to them.

Like Jerry Jones doing blow off with strippers?   Kraft getting rub and tug from sex slaves?  Wilf committing civil fraud?  Irsay DUI and drug addiction?  Ross tax fraud?  

But you don't like Tepper because he has a newlywed trophy wife that he likes to fondle and sounds like a dick?  Weird flex but OK. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Like Jerry Jones doing blow off with strippers?   Kraft getting rub and tug from sex slaves?  Wilf committing civil fraud?  Irsay DUI and drug addiction?  Ross tax fraud?  

But you don't like Tepper because he has a newlywed trophy wife that he likes to fondle and sounds like a dick?  Weird flex but OK. 

When I met Tepp in London he seemed fine.