3 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

Whether it is providing incentives for Mercedes to build in Alabama or British Airways to provide flights into Charleston, I am not a fan.  But, that being said, you either pay to play or watch another city/town provide incentives.  Tepper has a ton of cash as does Mercedes, Boeing, BMW etc...But, they also control a valuable asset in the NFL or a plant that politicians love.  As a result, cities and towns pay.   I don’t love it, but I’m glad to see the region provide incentives because collectively, it works for Charlotte.  

I agree there is an amount of  civil goodwill that doesn't show up on a financial sheet. Tepper also bring a very wealthy shareholder to the table.

3 hours ago, nicholas said:

I dunno.  There are a lot of ways to explain everything.  A lot of the mass exodus started when Hurney came back as GM.  He was criticized for being too loyal during his first stint, maybe he's done a 180.  Rivera is a great guy and a decent coach, but I think it became pretty evident that everything was falling apart (he didn't help himself by repeatedly stating that Cam was healthy when he clearly wasn't) and a change was needed.  Keuchly's retirement took everyone by surprise and probably solidified the decision to blow everything up and start over.

Time will tell I guess though.  Tepper didn't come in and clean house immediately, so I think we should see how everything turns out once it settles down.

I think incentives are a good thing IF the developer can prove increase in revenue for City/County and private businesses. The stadium just got a huge tax break ( https://www.wfae.org/post/carolina-panthers-get-big-break-tax-value-stadium ).  This is real hard working people's money the city is spending and they need to know  what exactly their investments are in and revenue figures. Tepper has produced nothing but tantrums about moving out of NC.

https://www.journalnow.com/study-n-c-s-economic-incentive-program-has-percent-failure/article_e54100f8-d8d2-51e3-b6d8-56b2212a67a9.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

He is 35, often injured, and was due 11 million.  No doubt he is a great guy.   He also made it clear to the media after the season that he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding effort...  He will be missed in the community for sure but hoping he calls Charlotte home after he fully retires. 

That's a good point about the injuries.

As far as the rebuilding effort, I was under the impression that he wanted to stay.    Anyway, I think it's a shame.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Yeah I thought Greg was going to be a guy looking to join a championship caliber team or maybe even start the year in the booth then wait to see if he can sign on with a team before their playoff run.  But he's taking meetings with Washington, Chicago alongside some playoff teams so maybe he's more open to a rebuild than I thought.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

14 hours ago, mpretori said:

I think incentives are a good thing IF the developer can prove increase in revenue for City/County and private businesses. The stadium just got a huge tax break ( https://www.wfae.org/post/carolina-panthers-get-big-break-tax-value-stadium ).  This is real hard working people's money the city is spending and they need to know  what exactly their investments are in and revenue figures. Tepper has produced nothing but tantrums about moving out of NC.

https://www.journalnow.com/study-n-c-s-economic-incentive-program-has-percent-failure/article_e54100f8-d8d2-51e3-b6d8-56b2212a67a9.html

You're justifying your argument with an article that's 5 years old and covers incentives handed out before the crash. Do you have an updated source?

41 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

Incentives handed out pre Great Recession had a high failure rate. Interesting...

At least all of the failed incentives referenced in the article  were in Mecklenburg county 

Moving on :yawn:

If you're using the logic, then every incentive has a high failure rate because recessions are cyclical. LOL 

Tepper visited a Burger Bar. If I visit there and make a video, will I be given a multi-million dollar taxpayer paid blank check? 

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

Why “wow”?  What do you see in here that is interesting?

As much as people may complain, having the NFL and investing in a stadium benefits the city.  And, it’s not unique to the NFL, developers in Greenville SC have made a fortune receiving tax credits to build in downtown Greenville....with a decent amount of empty buildings. There will never be a time in our life where someone is not making money off the government.  As a city, we would be foolish to not invest in a stadium.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Why “wow”?  What do you see in here that is interesting?

As much as people may complain, having the NFL and investing in a stadium benefits the city.  And, it’s not unique to the NFL, developers in Greenville SC have made a fortune receiving tax credits to build in downtown Greenville....with a decent amount of empty buildings. There will never be a time in our life where someone is not making money off the government.  As a city, we would be foolish to not invest in a stadium.  

The city already has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrades to the stadium... and a beautiful stadium it is.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eastsider said:

The city already has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrades to the stadium... and a beautiful stadium it is.

I hope they renovate this stadium instead of building a new one.  Miami looked like BofA at one time and could be a good model. Since Tepper is building field level suites, it may be an indication that this stadium will see very extensive renovations.

the business journal has an article about the Knights and how they are seeing many more events downtown which competes with their games.  It is a good problem to have.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, norm21499 said:

They had a choice of being moved or being paid less than market value for their seats.

Not "less than market value". Probably fair market value, and what the panthers website lists PSLs for in that area. Above market value for rows 4 and up and below for first couple rows (although I heard the first few row people got to upgrade at no charge). A buddy was in row 3 and he got to go to 20 yard sideline at no additional cost.

I think generally they were fair about the changes, we would have heard a lot more from those affected had it been an unfair process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Not "less than market value". Probably fair market value, and what the panthers website lists PSLs for in that area. Above market value for rows 4 and up and below for first couple rows (although I heard the first few row people got to upgrade at no charge). A buddy was in row 3 and he got to go to 20 yard sideline at no additional cost.

I think generally they were fair about the changes, we would have heard a lot more from those affected had it been an unfair process. 

The Charlotte Observer wrote an article about the PSL changes.  Some people were saying they were shafted and we're not offered fair market value. They were offered less than why similar seats were being sold for. Link to the article is below.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article240037908.html

• Like 1