Please, at least put the article title in your post so those of us that don't subscribe understand why the hell the post is made in the first place.  

It’s just about the rezoning of Charlotte Pipe and Foundry and how it passed unanimously through city council. They stated “with no discussion” the read was honestly hard to follow at that point. I am probably missing something there to understand what they were writing about.
  • Like 1

I would agree with Sam on this. This rezoning definitely needed a few more public meetings and discussions. The conversion from Industrial to UMUD is a slam dunk and makes perfect sense. It’s all the “extras” that should have been discussed more openly and in greater detail. 10+acres preserved for roadway re-configurations and only 1 acre for public space? We can do better than that. There’s also numerous road capacity additions that are not clearly spelled out in the petition what they are and their impact on the area. I’d sure love to know what the Freedom Drive Ramp 30% design commitment is exactly for and how that may impact the area. This isn’t just a simple rezoning, it commits millions of dollars into primarily roadway improvements. Not saying that’s a good or bad thing, just worthy of more discussion.

4F142547-49D9-47A2-955B-5B0B2F7AEDCE.thumb.jpeg.74ecdc9d2d2662699a57a4bb8746580c.jpeg

• Like 2

It's going to be quite something when plans start coming out.  When is the Pipe and Foundry in Oakville supposed to be up and running?  Last I can find is 2023.  

I would have to think some sort of legal agreement is in place for Tepper to buy the property when they vacate or a buy and lease back until they move?   If he is already buying up property, I'm sure the master plans are already in place.   Oh to be a design and architect firm!

I would agree with Sam on this. This rezoning definitely needed a few more public meetings and discussions. The conversion from Industrial to UMUD is a slam dunk and makes perfect sense. It’s all the “extras” that should have been discussed more openly and in greater detail. 10+acres preserved for roadway re-configurations and only 1 acre for public space? We can do better than that. There’s also numerous road capacity additions that are not clearly spelled out in the petition what they are and their impact on the area. I’d sure love to know what the Freedom Drive Ramp 30% design commitment is exactly for and how that may impact the area. This isn’t just a simple rezoning, it commits millions of dollars into primarily roadway improvements. Not saying that’s a good or bad thing, just worthy of more discussion.
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2021_12/4F142547-49D9-47A2-955B-5B0B2F7AEDCE.thumb.jpeg.74ecdc9d2d2662699a57a4bb8746580c.jpeg

1 acre is minimum depending on the development it could be higher. If i read it correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Damn, Tepper don't play.

A York County councilman told CBJ on Tuesday he believes the Carolina Panthers have permanently abandoned their unfinished headquarters project and will instead seek to recoup their expenses from the city of Rock Hill.

Roddey went on to say, “I don’t think they’re going to accept it,” referring to the revised infrastructure funding backed by York County and the city of Rock Hill in recent weeks. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/04/05/month-after-panthers-pause-hq-project-still-stuck.html

Wonder whats next for this facility?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, JBS said:

It gets built...what else? 

I dunno what is going to happen but Tepper has a reputation that indicates he is very willing to walk away at a loss just to make a point.

I hope the city of Charlotte sees that they have a much stronger hand in the new stadium negotiations now.

Edit: the plot thickens... (this is a new story from the CBJ featuring comments from a state senator, the first article quoted a York County councilperson)

A South Carolina lawmaker who backed the state’s incentives package for the Carolina Panthers blasted team owner David Tepper on Tuesday for stopping construction on a new headquarters in Rock Hill and declining to speak publicly on the matter.

State Sen. Wes Climer, a York Republican whose district includes the headquarters site, told CBJ he believes the city of Rock Hill and York County have made a reasonable offer to fulfill commitments for $225 million worth of infrastructure promised to Panthers’ parent company Tepper Sports & Entertainment. 

... "David Tepper came to Rock Hill promising us Jerry Jones and ever since then he’s given us Dan Snyder.”

...The state senator went on to wonder aloud whether governors in New York, Tennessee, and Virginia — states that have approved or are considering the use of taxpayer funds to help NFL teams build new stadiums — and others will view Tepper’s behavior as a deterrent to approving public money for football-related projects."

I genuinely do not understand how the NFL has not intervened with him to bring reason into this equation,” Climer added. “This haphazard, unserious approach to a very serious issue is sullying the reputation of the league as an entity that someone would want to engage with in a business relationship.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/04/05/sc-state-senator-rips-panthers-owners.html

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, NYtoCLT said:

I normally think Billionaires should build their own stadiums but Fort Mill agreed to a deal and then re-negged.  Tepper is 100% in the right to stop construction.  They pulled out of the deal for no reason even though they were contractually obligated.  Just like I don't think billionaires should get special treatment, I also don't think they should get worse treatment.  Honor the contract.  

On the bright side, I cant imagine there is any chance that any MLS practice facility goes anywhere except Mecklenburg county now.   Disappointing one hasn't been announced yet but I imagine this unfortunate situation likely has been playing a role.

They didn't renege, they stupidly overextended themselves and can't issue the bonds as originally hoped. They are offering tax offsets that are apparently the equivalent of their financial obligation and Tepper is refusing that alternative. I'm not saying Tepper doesn't have a right to expect the city to uphold their end of the deal. I'm saying that, as rich as he is, he can work with the city and offer some flexibility. More to the point, the city has a ton of leverage based on how much has already been completed on the project. And if Tepper really plays hardball, he risks alienating fans (see George Shinn). 

I suspect the MLS practice facility will also be in Rock Hill. 

Edited by JBS
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

I normally think Billionaires should build their own stadiums but Fort Mill agreed to a deal and then re-negged.  Tepper is 100% in the right to stop construction.  They pulled out of the deal for no reason even though they were contractually obligated.  Just like I don't think billionaires should get special treatment, I also don't think they should get worse treatment.  Honor the contract.  

On the bright side, I cant imagine there is any chance that any MLS practice facility goes anywhere except Mecklenburg county now.   Disappointing one hasn't been announced yet but I imagine this unfortunate situation likely has been playing a role.

*Rock Hill... not Fort Mill. Don't drag Fort Thrill into this lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, JBS said:

Frankly, I'm surprised that smart and savvy people think this is even a remote possibility. This isn't tearing down a house to build an FU house. He will never move these teams because it would cost him too much. He's being a bully and someone should put him in his place. 

I would not say zero percent chance.  I do think they will work through the problems in Rock Hill and like you said the MLS is a major anchor here.  But he can threaten.  I vividly remember the whole Charlotte Hornets move to New Orleans and then we were rewarded a new team again.  San Diego lost their team to LA and Oakland lost their team to Vegas.  I know stadium issues were forefront but don't say never.   Mr Tepper has said his groundwork for a new stadium would be 1/3 taxpayers, 1/3 PSL owners, 1/3 himself.   Lets hope he sticks to that.  

• Like 1