10 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

That article implies they are completely done with the Rock Hill site and that the public relations nightmare RH tried backfired spectacularly.  Scott Fowler has been covering the Panthers a looong time and likely has some good contacts on Mint Street.   They pissed one of the 50 richest Americans and sounds like he is gonna pack up his stuff and leave, at this point, just to spite RH.  

The article also digs a little deeper into the Tepper press release:

• The line in the statement that read: “We are prepared to sit down with the City and other interested parties to discuss the significant challenges ahead” was referring mostly to how the team and the city need to legally disentangle themselves from each other, a source said.
  • Tepper is furious with Rock Hill and S.C. politicians. Whatever you think of the Panthers’ billionaire owner personally, no one doubts he’s a very good businessman — and now a very angry one.

:tw_open_mouth:

We all assumed he would just work out a deal with York County and/or the state.  Doesn't sound like the case if Scott's sources are correct. 

This was exactly my take on this article, as shocking as it is. I honestly figured this would eventually get built in RH, but that now looks unlikely at all. I'm not sure that this incident doesn't sour Tepper on any SC location.

where will this go and if to Charlotte there may not be much taxpayer help.  Count Cabarrus out,  Union, Lincoln, Iredell counties due to their size and development needs.  He can build it on his own I guess now.    Remember my Winston idea?  Maybe elsewhere in the state of NC could afford to help him.  

I still contend this will be bad for all parties involved and yes that includes the Panthers and Mr Tepper.  I am sure there are quite a few Panthers fans and PSL ticket owners living in SC.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

“I think most of us are disappointed that the Panthers won’t be a part of this great, booming economy that we have in South Carolina,” McMaster told media in Fort Mill Thursday evening, where he presented former Fort Mill police chief Jeff Helms with the Order of the Palmetto. “That’s a disappointment.”

Read more at: https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article260645672.html#storylink=cpy

Edited by Mid South NC
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, joenc said:

What were the major infrastructure components that were required that the bonds were going to fund? Was it mostly the interchange, roads, and things like water and sewer?

The state is building the interchange, which was long needed and is supposed to move forward even if the Panthers don't move forward. I believe the city was supposed to fund the local infrastructure for roads and sewage, and that’s what the bonds were supposed to pay for. 

Edited by RugbyPike#11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kayman said:

Can you please let go that idea of it of moving the Panthers HQ out of Metro Charlotte?

You realize this is Charlotte NFL franchise right? I'm all for rooting for NC but do you see the Triangle or Triad trying to share economic development with Charlotte?  The answer is no. Otherwise you would see more tech like Google or Apple and large manufacturers like Toyota and major economic development gets outside of fintech landing in Charlotte. IMHO Google should be investing their offices here not Durham with our talent pool and UNCC.

The reason why there is a franchise is because of Charlotte's location, socioeconomics, and DMA size. The HQs and training facilities will be in the Charlotte area. Charlotte is the pro sports, business, entertainment, transportation, logistics center of the two states. 

Believe it or not when ranking the Charlotte market (NFL - 75 mile radius) the Triad is firmly a part of that. 

Edited by Mid South NC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kayman said:

Can you please let go that idea of it of moving the Panthers HQ out of Metro Charlotte?

You realize this is Charlotte NFL franchise right? I'm all for rooting for NC but do you see the Triangle or Triad trying to share economic development with Charlotte?  The answer is no. Otherwise you would see more tech like Google or Apple and large manufacturers like Toyota and major economic development gets outside of fintech landing in Charlotte. IMHO Google should be investing their offices here not Durham with our talent pool and UNCC.

The reason why there is a franchise is because of Charlotte's location, socioeconomics, and DMA size. The HQs and training facilities will be in the Charlotte area. Charlotte is the pro sports, business, entertainment, transportation, logistics center of the two states. 

Believe it or not when ranking the Charlotte market (NFL - 75 mile radius) the Triad is firmly a part of that. 

Just now, Mid South NC said:

0C83066B-EAD0-4A40-83A4-370E11EDE513.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kayman said:

15 hours ago, Mid South NC said:

“I think most of us are disappointed that the Panthers won’t be a part of this great, booming economy that we have in South Carolina,” McMaster told media in Fort Mill Thursday evening, where he presented former Fort Mill police chief Jeff Helms with the Order of the Palmetto. “That’s a disappointment.”

Read more at: https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article260645672.html#storylink=cpy

Panthers/Tepper S&E says it's unfortunate some SC politicians "decided to conduct a misguided, destructive public relations campaign to obscure their failures." 

Sums up this clusterf.ck! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2022 at 9:36 PM, Urban Cowboy said:

If I was as rich and salty as David Tepper, I would 100% abandon the entire SC project. I'd throw a ridiculous amount of money at the bickering Brookhill parties, and then build the new facilities there. Throw in some truly affordable housing + a community center at the new site - and watch for the hero's welcome. I would love for Tepper to then rename the team Charlotte Panthers, and then yank those 2 SC flags off the top of our stadium. I'm so tired of the two states one team thing... And SC flags flying over NC. And yes I am petty - and I hope Tepper is too! 

I choose to live in Charlotte, invest in Charlotte, and be a part of the community in Charlotte. I want Charlotte and its citizens to be successful. York County and frankly any of the communities/residents over the line are siphoning away tax revenue while continuing to use our city's infrastructure and benefit from our economy. I don't think we should be actively rewarding SC at all for taking away jobs or residents. I'm glad this is blowing up in SC's face. I don't understand how Tepper looks bad in any of this - despite reading a lot of mixed opinions about his handling. Alienate all of South Carolina! In fact, I like the guy more for playing hardball. SI SE PUEDE NORTH CAROLINA!!!

I hope relying on Wilmington and Morehead City over Charleston works out. 

• Confused 4

40 minutes ago, Mid South NC said:

Panthers/Tepper S&E says it's unfortunate some SC politicians "decided to conduct a misguided, destructive public relations campaign to obscure their failures." 

Sums up this clusterf.ck! 

Since when has SC and its local jurisdictions ever been anything but willing to bend over backwards to accommodate high-profile eco-devo deals with taxpayer funds? The city/county picking up the tap for infrastructure is basically par-for-the-course for such developments and SC/York County's reputation for successfully doing so many times over the past several years is practically unblemished. Believe what you want about SC, but it doesn't screw stuff like this up.

Who's going to believe a billionaire hedge fund manager-turned-NFL franchise owner with no previous ties to the Carolinas isn't attempting to strong-arm local taxpayers into forking over even more money for this project?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

13 minutes ago, krazeeboi said:

Since when has SC and its local jurisdictions ever been anything but willing to bend over backwards to accommodate high-profile eco-devo deals with taxpayer funds? The city/county picking up the tap for infrastructure is basically par-for-the-course for such developments and SC/York County's reputation for successfully doing so many times over the past several years is practically unblemished. Believe what you want about SC, but it doesn't screw stuff like this up.

Who's going to believe a billionaire hedge fund manager-turned-NFL franchise owner with no previous ties to the Carolinas isn't attempting to strong-arm local taxpayers into forking over even more money for this project?

This. Tepper is proving to be a total clown soup to nuts as it relates to his new venture into the pro sports world. The Panthers are a total train wreck right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Mid South NC said:

0C83066B-EAD0-4A40-83A4-370E11EDE513.jpeg

That's great,  so is Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, Asheville! However that's doesn't justify entertaining placing anything officially associated with the franchise facilities there. I do know the Panthers' spring practice at Wofford College in Spartanburg. 

Agreed. If you want to kill attendance and team morale, SC is the place. I wish the media would quit driving this narrative. No team is, was or hopefully moving from Charlotte ever again. This is nothing like the Hornets/Shinn situation at all. Tepper is all in on Charlotte. The HQ was merely a bone for RH to chew on to bring SC money to the table. It's just good business. The article is a fun look back, but Tepper already knows what Shinn didn't.

• Like 3