"The Carolina Panthers' agreement with Rock
Hill to build an opulent new training camp
and team headquarters is never going to be
salvaged."

Dead, obituaried, buried, concrete it over and build a mall on it because DT is through with any thought of ever building in SC. 

B1DD9208-4071-4508-BE88-903F84616153.jpeg

AE9577F6-FAD6-4908-8C72-07710E488D29.jpeg

8E235141-6D88-44AB-9080-35E6579959A9.jpeg

4E79FB28-BFE0-4A82-A5C4-8CA601FCEE5B.png

Edited by Mid South NC
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mid South NC said:

"The Carolina Panthers' agreement with Rock
Hill to build an opulent new training camp
and team headquarters is never going to be
salvaged."

Dead, obituaried, buried, concrete it over and build a mall on it because DT is through with any thought of ever building in SC. 

B1DD9208-4071-4508-BE88-903F84616153.jpeg

AE9577F6-FAD6-4908-8C72-07710E488D29.jpeg

8E235141-6D88-44AB-9080-35E6579959A9.jpeg

4E79FB28-BFE0-4A82-A5C4-8CA601FCEE5B.png

Tepper literally wants to rip the steel out of the ground and sell it for scrap at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Blue_Devil said:

Tepper literally wants to rip the steel out of the ground and sell it for scrap at this point.

Exactly! 

"Tepper is furious with Rock Hill and S.C. politicians. Whatever you think of the Panthers’ billionaire owner personally, no one doubts he’s a very good businessman — and now a very angry one. You only need to read the second paragraph of Tuesday’s statement to understand the anger part. It read: “It is unfortunate that some recently decided to conduct a misguided, destructive public relations campaign to obscure their failures.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article260621102.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Perhaps this has been discussed and I overlooked it somewhere, but I have an unfounded theory/proposal.  Tepper acknowledged they are researching upgrading BofA as a long-term solution.  If the report comes back that this is a feasible solution, couldn't they just build the practice facility, including soccer facilities, on the Pipe & Foundry land?  

With the addition of office, hotels, and an entertainment district, it would become a 365 day destination. Tepper might have to pay for more of it out of pocket, but he could also reap the benefits, too. If I was a billionaire, this is what I would try to do:

1. Upgrade BofA as a long-term/permanent home
  2. Build a training facility and HQ on Pipe & Foundry land
    • Include soccer specific accommodations here
  3.  Develop office, hotel, and destination entertainment linking new facilities, BofA stadium, and Gateway Station

This type of destination would further cement Uptown Charlotte as the center of all things Carolina.

Of course, I am not a billionaire, sadly. lol

I like this idea, but people are going to argue it shouldn’t be in a urban area. I think there a lot of things that could be done to counter the use of space to make it feel more urban

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kermit said:

I am not sure Tepper has much pull in Raleigh. The state was quick to declare their disinterest in paying for any of the new stadium and they imposed a statutory limit on how much they can contribute to local transit (not much) just after the BLE contracts were signed. A new freeway interchange on the other hand....

Since Tepper is not an NC taxpayer I suspect the view of him in Raleigh is going to be somewhere between carpetbagger and 'just another resident of the Great State of Mecklenburg to be ignored'

His kind of money buys influence on all sides.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kermit said:

Since Tepper is not an NC taxpayer I suspect the view of him in Raleigh is going to be somewhere between carpetbagger and 'just another resident of the Great State of Mecklenburg to be ignored'

Heck I bet the Panthers don't even have a tax department!  Revenue of $400mil a year for 358 employees and payroll for just 53 of them is about $200million a year.  So while David Tepper isn't paying personal income tax in NC because his 183 days/yr home is FL...I am pretty sure some of his businesses with addresses at 800 S Mint St are putting some money in the NC coffers. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

payroll for just 53 of them is about $200million a year

Sports owners can actually write off their players' salaries as depreciating assets and possibly even get a tax break on top of that for intangible assets, so he's probably taking of advantage of every single break he can to get that tax down to $0.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Sports owners can actually write off their players' salaries as depreciating assets and possibly even get a tax break on top of that for intangible assets, so he's probably taking of advantage of every single break he can to get that tax down to $0.

He might be, but those players with their large salaries, and their properties, and their businesses, and the NC sales tax for apparel, and all the other taxes and revenues they bring in are not. On top of that, Tepper is now a fairly large land owner in the state, so he is paying a lot for that. And if his Entertainment district goes up, he will be paying a lot of taxes for that. 

It seems to me Tepper is pretty invested. Two teams, land purchases in uptown and beyond. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kayman said:

Billionaires are one of the few groups of individuals that have funds and influence to make stuff shake anywhere. The NC GOP running the NC GA are crazy but not dumb.  

I am not sure why you got the confused face but you are right. Tepper is worth like 18 Billion. That kind of money wins on a federal level. On a state level it dominates. Tepper can swing while elections if he wants to all around NC

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am not sure why you got the confused face but you are right. Tepper is worth like 18 Billion. That kind of money wins on a federal level. On a state level it dominates. Tepper can swing while elections if he wants to all around NC

Certain individuals on this board don't like the truth when it doesn't fit their worldview nor bias. Especially when it's backed up with empirical evidence.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2022 at 1:21 PM, kayman said:

Certain individuals on this board don't like the truth when it doesn't fit their worldview nor bias. Especially when it's backed up with empirical evidence.  

Think you are truly mistaken. Billionaires only have influence in well-defined boxes. No one (Elon excepted) is trying to actually seize power or do anything except buy boats and sports teams. If Bezos tried to influence the Post (that he nominally owns!) they'd laugh in his face and just go work at the NYTimes.

As for your evidence, did you already forget what just happened in SC?

I think Tepper has less power than the average Senator.

Edited by joenc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, joenc said:

Think you are truly mistaken. Billionaires only have influence in well-defined boxes. No one (Elon excepted) is trying to actually seize power or do anything except buy boats and sports teams. If Bezos tried to influence the Post (that he nominally owns!) they'd laugh in his face and just go work at the NYTimes.

As for your evidence, did you already forget what just happened in SC?

I think Tepper has less power than the average Senator.

No, you're truly mistaken and making amateur assumptions about power. Tepper walked because SC screwed up and whose holding the bag? Hint, it isn't Tepper.   FYI billionaires influence politically which means that's where the real power and influence lies, lawmaking and taxation. Last time I remember most wealthy individuals aren't paying much in taxation per capita compared to the middle  class person bc they have that the influence of lawmaking & ensuring the will to changing that is nonexistent amongst lawmakers. 

• Like 1

That's just money that they can spend on boats and houses.

Doesn't matter. That's not power.

Ever heard of Stalin, Hitler, FDR, Ceaser or Napolean?

More seriously though, they may get a few things here and there, but no one is going to side with Tepper with his 5-12 football team against popular local politicians. Some savvy politicians can make hay with this type of thing, like Desantis against Disney in FL.

Edited by joenc
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, joenc said:

More seriously though, they may get a few things here and there, but no one is going to side with Tepper with his 5-12 football team against popular local politicians. Some savvy politicians can make hay with this type of thing, like Desantis against Disney in FL.

What???? No way that they get 5 wins next season... 2 wins, Ruehl fired after week 5, Newton resigned again after week 8

16 hours ago, joenc said:

That didn't even correlated to the answer. If you say so. Money talks, bs walks. He still has the power and influence to get what he wants. 

• 2 weeks later...

From the Biz Journal and this is the quote from the mayor of Rock Hill

"We continue to talk," Gettys told the Charlotte Business Journal. "We continue to engage and we're going to get somewhere at some point in time. I think the portrayal that we're seeing in public isn't really what we're seeing in our conversations. Where all that goes, who knows?"

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/05/23/rock-hill-mayor-john-gettys-carolina-panthers-hq.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

still think this Panthers training facility is going there maybe not the MLS 

• Like 4

Emails show the South Carolina Secretary of Commerce, at Rock Hill's request, planned on touring the training facility site with the Panthers COO on March 8.

https://www.wcnc.com/mobile/article/money/south-carolina-commerce-officials-blindsided-carolina-panthers-training-camp-rock-hill-construction-stopped/275-130b0383-8ccf-407e-892d-beb13d6e5642

• Like 1