If history is a guide the taxpayer will be responsible for much/most/all of the overage costs. 

Louisiana Superdome is ~50 years old. Much renovation but still an extraordinary venue. Expected cost prior to construction was 46 million and final cost was at least 165 million.*

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesars_Superdome

18 minutes ago, jthomas said:

This is a very interesting design from an architectural perspective. It looks very "urban" and designed to be a part of a cityscape, rather than the typical convention of the stadium as a stand-alone sculptural object. I really like it from the design point of view.

That said, I think it is a disgrace that this project is proceeding. First, the existing stadium is less than 25 years old. To tear it down is incredibly wasteful of the materials and resources that went into its construction. Stadiums can easily last 100+ years if properly maintained and periodically modernized - just look at many of the classic college stadiums. Second, although the Titans are putting in $800 million towards a new stadium, that still leaves the governments on the hook for $1.4 billion plus. That is a shockingly large sum of money to spend on a venue that, even in a wildly optimistic scenario, would be dormant more frequently than it would host an event. This, in a fast-growing region that just rejected a transit referendum, ostensibly over cost concerns. It's a shameful reflection of political priorities.

I hope Charlotte doesn't go down the same path. Bank of America Stadium is a modern classic IMO, and could easily stay in service for a long time. More importantly, the region should be using its limited resources on projects that bring a daily benefit to all of its citizens, rather than subsidizing a billionaire's vanity project.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jthomas said:

This is a very interesting design from an architectural perspective. It looks very "urban" and designed to be a part of a cityscape, rather than the typical convention of the stadium as a stand-alone sculptural object. I really like it from the design point of view.

That said, I think it is a disgrace that this project is proceeding. First, the existing stadium is less than 25 years old. To tear it down is incredibly wasteful of the materials and resources that went into its construction. Stadiums can easily last 100+ years if properly maintained and periodically modernized - just look at many of the classic college stadiums. Second, although the Titans are putting in $800 million towards a new stadium, that still leaves the governments on the hook for $1.4 billion plus. That is a shockingly large sum of money to spend on a venue that, even in a wildly optimistic scenario, would be dormant more frequently than it would host an event. This, in a fast-growing region that just rejected a transit referendum, ostensibly over cost concerns. It's a shameful reflection of political priorities.

I hope Charlotte doesn't go down the same path. Bank of America Stadium is a modern classic IMO, and could easily stay in service for a long time. More importantly, the region should be using its limited resources on projects that bring a daily benefit to all of its citizens, rather than subsidizing a billionaire's vanity project.  

I'm with you on BoA remaining albeit in a renovated (covered seat) form as I've probably said a dozen times on this thread to just give it the Hard Rock Stadium treatment and I'd be thrilled.

Agree also on the Nashville being wasteful, if you look at their MLS bid and the stadium they just built for Nashville SC the local government basically bought the team for the ownership group by not hesitating to almost fully fund their new stadium.  Which means unlike BoA this new stadium as you stated only has 11 guaranteed uses per year from the Titans.  Though I'd imagine a ton of concerts, special events and maybe Nashville tries to snag a college football kick off matchup like we had Georgia/Clemson or the one Atlanta hosts every year.  

I guess my thought is if they're this far down the planning road, with a city that has far more hotels/tourist appeal, at what point do  we hope that Tepper looks to BoA as the answer for the future.  An arms race against Atlanta, New Orleans and now Nashville with domed stadiums and infrastructure the NFL looks for, we won't be hosting a Super Bowl anytime soon and even if we tried to keep up we would probably be one and done like NY, Indy or Detroit anyways..

• Like 3

Agree on all points. I think the new Titans stadium looks incredible architecturally and I would love to see a new trend of stadiums that blend into their cityscapes like that more. 

However it's always a little amusing when I hear BoA referred to as "one of the oldest stadiums in the NFL". It is technically true, since most of the stadiums that are older are the truly ancient ones (like Lambeau). But it is said with sort of an expectation that stadiums get replaced every 20-30 years which I think is ridiculous. 

I would not be opposed to a new Panthers stadium IF the funding structure made sense, but it likely won't. Thus it seems weird to abandon BoA so soon, especially given its very unique spot right in the shadow of the Charlotte skyline. I actually think it is one of the cooler stadiums in the NFL. 

That said, if we had to build a new one, the Pipe & Foundry site is perfect. I wonder what would happen to BoA after that... demolition, or re-purposing? Would be awfully huge as just a concert venue and MLS arena. I'd be very sad to see it go though.

• Like 4

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/they-re-here-new-bills-stadium-renderings-unveiled

Now the Bills turn.  Populous looked at the Tottenham stadium and just did a CTRL+C, CTRL+V for the design (with a less ornate roof).  Though it's a great looking outdoor stadium so I can't blame them.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^ I didn't understand why the DOJ was involved. For anyone else wondering, this is from their .gov:

The United States Trustee Program is the component of the Department of Justice responsible for overseeing the administration of bankruptcy cases and private trustees under 28 U.S.C.
§ 586 and 11 U.S.C. § 101, et seq. We are a national program with broad administrative, regulatory, and litigation/enforcement authorities whose mission is to promote the integrity and efficiency of the bankruptcy system for the benefit of all stakeholders–debtors, creditors, and the public. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Hidden Valley memory said:

I'm just dreaming of the possibilities of a new stadium for uptown.

I went to 7 of the Qatar World Cup stadiums. None of them were up to NFL stadium quality. I do think we could rebuild around the current stadium like Al Janoob and Lusail were built with a exoskeleton and half roof.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I went to 7 of the Qatar World Cup stadiums. None of them were up to NFL stadium quality. I do think we could rebuild around the current stadium like Al Janoob and Lusail were built with a exoskeleton and half roof.  

Yes, I know. Most of these stadiums will be torn down or scaled back. Seats taken out and remodeled or torn down altogether. I was speaking more of the designs and lighting schemes. Those are top notch. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hidden Valley memory said:

Yes, I know. Most of these stadiums will be torn down or scaled back. Seats taken out and remodeled or torn down altogether. I was speaking more of the designs and lighting schemes. Those are top notch. 

The concourses even for Lusail and Al Bayt (the semi and finals sights) are worse than SEC stadiums. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jthomas said:

I've said this before - $1.26 BILLION from government for a football stadium, but yet they can't fund a transit measure. It sickens me how backwards the priorities are.

Charlotte, don't do this to yourself... 

It is interesting the government didn't need to request approval from voters in Tennessee to fund the football stadium using taxes, while they did need approval for the transit measure (which to be fair to government, the citizens of Nashville overwhelmingly rejected 64-36). Not sure why one can be done by govt alone and the other needed a vote. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

It is interesting the government didn't need to request approval from voters in Tennessee to fund the football stadium using taxes, while they did need approval for the transit measure (which to be fair to government, the citizens of Nashville overwhelmingly rejected 64-36). Not sure why one can be done by govt alone and the other needed a vote. 

Bread and circuses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Currently their hotel tax is 15.25% so this would make it 16.25%    (at some point this will cause groups to look elsewhere as their hotel rates are already higher than Charlotte")

That's combined state sales tax and occupancy tax, most cities including Charlotte (15.25% also) are around that mark with a lot above that rate.  I doubt this will have any impact on tourism or business travel in Nashville.   

39 minutes ago, SoDoSoPa said:

That's combined state sales tax and occupancy tax, most cities including Charlotte (15.25% also) are around that mark with a lot above that rate.  I doubt this will have any impact on tourism or business travel in Nashville.   

actually it is currently 15.25% going to 16.25% with the stadium deal plus there is  $2.50 per night charge collected in Nashville Davidson county.   Individual travel probably not impacted but with already higher hotel rates on average than Charlotte it is makes it much more expensive for groups to meet there.  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 11:12 AM, CLT2014 said:

I'm really fascinated by such overwhelming rejection of a transit line in a rapidly growing city. Of course, the Triangle has tried and failed before too, but Nashville is much more of a centralized urban area that could clearly benefit from transit. Does anyone know some details? Was the proposal flawed? We should really be looking to this to learn lessons on what NOT to do. They are a peer city to Charlotte and it would be easy to go down the same path with future transit proposals if not careful.

• Like 1