^^^BOA is a great stadium, and it does have great amenities for the 'average' person attending games.  Renovations are all that are needed, replacing the stadium now or even in 15 years does not help the average NFL attendee.  The primary reason a new owner would want a new stadium (THAT WILL BE PUBLICLY SUBSIDIZED) is to increase their revenue through additional box seats, controlling parking, and increased ticket prices.  These things don't help the average person who loves taking their family to games, there is not a bad seat in BOA and the huge HD screens make viewing even easier. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Continuing to renovate the existing stadium is like continually putting a band aid over a sore. The stadium is lacking when compared to the newer NFL sadiums. Why not just demolish the current stadium and let the Panthers play at some college stadium while a new one is constructed in the existing location like the Minnesota Vikings did. Uptown doesn’t need to lose the location. 

Felix Sebates said he wants 20,000 parking spaces, if he fills those at average of $50 per space then that equals $1M per event. The new team owners will never get that from an uptown site.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eastsider said:

Felix Sebates said he wants 20,000 parking spaces, if he fills those at average of $50 per space then that equals $1M per event. The new team owners will never get that from an uptown site.

Great point. Parking fee is big business. I bet that is why so many stadiums move outside of the city, then everyone has to drive there and park. I am not a football fan but still love that the stadium is in uptown because of the crowds it brings to the city for events. It would be a shame to loose that but the owners will most likely not care about that if they can get a better profit at a different location.

It is sad but most people who would own the panthers do not care about helping the city they just care about lining their pockets. 

Edited by JSquare

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That stateline site is 90% in NC across from the McCullough neighborhood in Pineville.  I honestly dont see that as happening. Those homes from 300-500K will pitch a fit if this site is even considered I am sure.  Pineville would not even allow the LYNX to end there for fear of traffic

Im with you on this one. When this broke about the potential interest in the farmland my first thoughts were how pissed those folks in McCullough would be. Also, infrastructure wise there would need to be countless projects to make a stadium in this area more accessible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CriticalT said:

To add to your preference this is the 2nd stadium for the Panthers.  I know it was a different era and all but the team has a history with Clemson.  Which makes me think how much Wofford is about to lose with Richardson connection.  Bersin too for that matter.  

If it was up to me, the Panthers would play at Carter-Finley in Raleigh during construction, rather than play at the current stadium while one is under construction. This is ONLY for the purpose of reusing the same land, though. They could easily sell out games in Raleigh. Clemson might have been the most viable in ‘95, but if they had to do a similar move, Raleigh would be the current best option for temporary play.

I agree with the idea of playing at a college stadium. I've said that for years because anyone with a brain knows that (with few exceptions) NFL and other major league sports venues have an expiration date. And as much as we love it, BofA is not an "iconic" stadium like the Superdome or Lambeau Field. 

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

If it was up to me, the Panthers would play at Carter-Finley in Raleigh during construction, rather than play at the current stadium while one is under construction. This is ONLY for the purpose of reusing the same land, though. They could easily sell out games in Raleigh. Clemson might have been the most viable in ‘95, but if they had to do a similar move, Raleigh would be the current best option for temporary play.

Clemson is larger and closer. So is William Brice Stadium. There are more PSL owners than Carter Finley holds. Plus I don't want to hand ANY momentum to Raliegh. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Clemson is larger and closer. So is William Brice Stadium. There are more PSL owners than Carter Finley holds. Plus I don't want to hand ANY momentum to Raliegh. 

A tour of the Carolinas could be really cool for a season.  

• Clemson - Memorial Stadium 
  • NC State - Carter-Finley
  • Wake Forest - BB&T
  • Duke - Wallace Wade
  • UNC - Kenan Memorial
  • South Carolina - Williams-Brice
  • East Carolina - Dowdy-Ficklen
  • App State - Kiid Brewer Stadium

If they need a 2nd season they could play at an expanded UNCC - Jerry Richardson Stadium (oops!) with a possible name change.   The good thing about San Diego moving to LA is it threw out the assumed rules on stadiums during a construction transition.  A tour like this would be awesome for the fans.  Would suck for the players as they would essentially not have a 'home' game.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

A tour of the Carolinas could be really cool for a season.  

• Clemson - Memorial Stadium 
  • NC State - Carter-Finley
  • Wake Forest - BB&T
  • Duke - Wallace Wade
  • UNC - Kenan Memorial
  • South Carolina - Williams-Brice
  • East Carolina - Dowdy-Ficklen
  • App State - Kiid Brewer Stadium

If they need a 2nd season they could play at an expanded UNCC - Jerry Richardson Stadium (oops!) with a possible name change.   The good thing about San Diego moving to LA is it threw out the assumed rules on stadiums during a construction transition.  A tour like this would be awesome for the fans.  Would suck for the players as they would essentially not have a 'home' game.  

PSL owners would have NONE of that.

One would assume that if the Stateline site or really any site outside of downtown (read hotels) would come with events like the ACC and Belk Bowl parting ways with Charlotte.  I also think it would DQ the stadium for a Super Bowl, even if it was a dome in a sea of parking.   In turn this would make it almost impossible to gain any sort of public funding.  

Regardless, Sabates isn't going to be the owner.   He's just another Bon Jovi.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hunted said:

PSL owners would have NONE of that.

If it were to build a new stadium the PSL owners wouldn't have a right to say anything.  The PSL licenses are tied to the BofA stadium.  Once a new stadium is built they will issue new licenses.  

1 minute ago, cjd5050 said:

If it were to build a new stadium the PSL owners wouldn't have a right to say anything.  The PSL licenses are tied to the BofA stadium.  Once a new stadium is built they will issue new licenses.  

Regardless, “season ticket” holders are going to want to do Tour de North Carolina 8 times a year. 

13 minutes ago, Dale said:

Personally, I'd prefer the stadium Uptown. But if they did build the stadium in the hinterlands, I'm guessing 99% of the fanbase wouldn't object and most would be happier.

You can't replicate the current game day culture in the hinterlands.

24 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Regardless, “season ticket” holders are going to want to do Tour de North Carolina 8 times a year. 

They would not sell season tickets either.  Would make it much easier to reset seasons with the new PSLs.  

Anyways, it's just an idea.   

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You can't replicate the current game day culture in the hinterlands.

What's interesting is Buffalo is having the exact opposite conversation right now.  Their stadium is 20 minutes from downtown and in a sea of parking without a single hotel, bar or restaurant in sight.   They have a massive tailgating culture unlike any in the NFL and many of the die-hard fans don't want a downtown stadium on mass transit next to bars and restaurants.     Just found it interesting on the opposites there.  

• Like 1

Moving the stadium out of uptown would kill the game day experience for a lot. A lot of people tailgate and don't go to the game, many wouldn't travel out of uptown just to tailgate. Bars around the stadium are a big part of the post game experience as well and any suburban area stadium would not have the same feel as uptown. Really the only people who would prefer a suburban area stadium would be those who drive to the games and leave right after.

• Thanks 1

It would suck to move the Panthers out of uptown. The silver lining in all this is that a new domed stadium would mean Charlotte could host the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four basketball championship. Also if Panthers Stadium is demolished,  there would be a site for a future major league baseball stadium. 

Edited by cityboi

18 minutes ago, cityboi said:

It would suck to move the Panthers out of uptown. The silver lining in all this is that a new domed stadium would mean Charlotte could host the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four basketball championship. Also if Panthers Stadium is demolished,  there would be a site for a future major league baseball stadium. 

It doensn't mean either of those things. Charlotte from a hospitality standpoint is about 10,000 hotels short of hosting a superbowl. And putting it in South Carolina will make it even more short of having enough nearby hotels.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Hello-

From Nashville and Titans will have a similar question in a few years... my question to all of you- is anyone concerned with concussions and the future of the NFL? Younger generations throughout America are not playing football as much as they were in the 90s early 2000s...

I do not think football will cease to exist completely, but it is something to consider before any city funds $1BN for a stadium. 

This is something Ive been curious about. What does a decade from now look like for the NFL, is a $1BN a worthy investment for something that will likely be less popular, and of less quality in a decade.

Panthers stadium has the 10th largest capacity out of all NFL stadiums. Since its capacity is already better than most other stadiums it seems like a totally new stadium would be a waste of money. I would think the money could be better spent renovating the current stadium. 

I do not have the plans for the building but my assumption would be that a dome could be achieved with minimal re-engineering of the existing structure. I would think the foundations and structure itself is probably over engineered to begin with due to the changing live loads of crowds.

This is all just a guess, but the point is the stadium has the size it needs it just needs to be modernized which would still be expensive but when compared to demolishing and rebuilding a stadium from scratch it is exponentially cheaper. To @nashvylle's point why build a new stadium with more capacity if the NFL's future is looking unclear?

• Like 1

^^^ Actually the Titans stadium in Nashville is best of both worlds. Across the river from downtown but easily walkable to the entertainment district and rest of downtown. But also for tailgaters a sea of parking around it. 

We really need to merge these stadium issues because many people are making good points and this will be the discussion of the year for sure. 

As for that stateline site only a small corner is in South Carolina so there will not be no participation from SC and quite frankly Hwy 51 goes from 4 lanes back to 2 once its get into SC.  

• Like 1