Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

It appears that we will not see a slow down in the apartment building boom for quite a long time.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_afd17566-41bd-5050-9596-2aabfa014639.html

Good. Maybe this type of data will help push a developer to create some TOD along the light-rail line or possibly an apartment "tower" or two in downtown Norfolk.

• Like 1

First, it looks like Glass Wheel Studio has left the NEON District, which is a bummer. I liked the setup they have over there.

http://altdaily.com/glass-wheel-studio-quietly-exits-the-neon-with-lots-of-noise-about-whats-next/

However, this blurb is interesting for a couple reasons:

The gossip is that TCC is also in talks about taking over the Greyhound station — which is city-owned — and the Greyhound then being a part of new developments on the other side of Brambleton. It’s fun to think about. With the major overhaul of the Granby Brambleton intersection, the parcel becoming brightly activated would make downtown and the NEON feel like one like they never have before.

For TCC, I hate to see Portsmouth lose the Visual Arts program, but that would be a huge boost for the arts scene in downtown Norfolk. That side of Granby is still pretty dead some nights, so this is actually a really exciting development. Plus, it puts everything much closer to the Norfolk campus. As for Greyhound, I'd still like to see something closer to the Amtrak station, but I guess it makes sense to move to where the HRT station is.

• 1 month later...

I think that Sentara is leading the charge in reinventing the area where the Leigh hospital is. They are clearing building up with a medical campus that looks more urban.

I can see that area a little mid town between DT Norfolk and VB Town Center.

Now if only VB would get onboard LRT.....

20 hours ago, BFG said:

The State of the City address is tomorrow morning. I’d be interested to see if there are any surprise announcements. I think we’re kinda overdue for some big news. 

How about a new 16k to 18k seat arena in the Military Circle area (with financing in-place) and a funded extension of light rail to the site? That would be exciting.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

How about a new 16k to 18k seat arena in the Military Circle area (with financing in-place) and a funded extension of light rail to the site? That would be exciting.

An arena announcement is definitely what I’m crossing my fingers for. Mayor Alexander announced Scope renovations at last year’s address. I think a new arena is what we need. 

Oh what could have been. Was trolling through emporis and found a listing for a 32-story 400 ft tower that was never built. It was called the NCNB tower. Anyone know what happened to this project and why it fell through. When was it proposed? I can’t seem to find any information on this. Would love to see a rendering.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/1151348/ncnb-tower-norfolk-va-usa

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet (I didn't see anything), but three Ghent-adjacent apartment projects were quietly completed over the past few months by Richmond-based Monument Companies. Feels like momentum is building in the area with all the vacant buildings around the railroad tracks. 

First Colony Flats, a renovation of the historic First Colony Coffee and Tea site on 204 W. 22nd St.  The building has 79 Units/5 Stories. 

Image result for First Colony Flats

Linde Lofts, a renovation of the historic Linde Air Products building on 2219 Colonial Ave.

Image result for Apartment

The Brightleaf Building, a renovation of the old tobacco warehouse on 200 E. 22nd Street. I think this might've previously been known as "Atlas Flats"? 127 Units/3 Storiesimage.thumb.png.8c3737f14475f8a17b6ff3680a89fce7.png 

12 hours ago, Helium3 said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet (I didn't see anything), but three Ghent-adjacent apartment projects were quietly completed over the past few months by Richmond-based Monument Companies. Feels like momentum is building in the area with all the vacant buildings around the railroad tracks. 

First Colony Flats, a renovation of the historic First Colony Coffee and Tea site on 204 W. 22nd St.  The building has 79 Units/5 Stories. 

Image result for First Colony Flats

Linde Lofts, a renovation of the historic Linde Air Products building on 2219 Colonial Ave.

Image result for Apartment

The Brightleaf Building, a renovation of the old tobacco warehouse on 200 E. 22nd Street. I think this might've previously been known as "Atlas Flats"? 127 Units/3 Storiesimage.thumb.png.8c3737f14475f8a17b6ff3680a89fce7.png 

I wish they would have power washed the white paint off the rest of the building.. But dope projects man.  I need to come home more often.  If I ever hit the lotto, I'm moving back, lol.

• Like 1

Editorial about Norfolk city council woman Angelia Graves' opposition of recycling plant off of St. Julian Ave.  She and other residents are kind of late voicing opposition to this project.   They should sit down with Meeks and have a discussion about their concerns and maybe he will be amenable to their suggestions.  https://pilotonline.com/news/local/columnist/roger-chesley/article_feea3c6e-2c50-11e8-ad00-97a4ebdd8efd.html

On 3/22/2018 at 12:20 AM, urbanvb said:

I found this article to be interesting about the former bus station.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/history/article_75e79716-2ad1-11e8-80de-bfc7ebd1d471.html

I caught this a few days ago. I know it was torn down to expand the road, but I really wonder how different the city would look if it didn’t tear down so many buildings downtown?