vdogg

Norfolk Off-Topic

39 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

Do you consider Military Circle close? I think everyone knows, even in city council, that the mall location is the best location for a new arena. It would be huge for that area and this gives the city a great chance to expand light rail north, even if initially it 'ends' at the arena but is open to build north after the arena is open. An arena in Military Circle will not affect building progress in downtown.

A new arena is a win wherever it may go.

I just like the idea of it downtown. Light rail is already there. Hotels are already there. Parking structures are already there. The baseball stadium is already there.

I understand why Military Highway makes it the best spot logistically for the rest of Hampton Roads. And I understand the desire of city council and the mayor to help jumpstart redevelopment there. But I gotta agree with Carolina Boy. They should just bulldoze Scope and build there. It's downtown near a bunch of hotels, convenient to light rail and it wouldn't leave us with an aging dinosaur of an arena in a prime location.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd be okay with it going on Scope, if Chrysler Hall weren't already there, plus the proposed addition for the Virginia Symphony. I don't know if a venue designed to seat 15-17K fits in that tight plaza. If the mall is demolished, Movement Mortgage and Optima likely go elsewhere, along with some of the retail. So it might spark development downtown regardless.

Military is definitely the easiest and best place is terms of location and really there isn't very many businesses or residents to move. No matter where the arena gets built it will spark development even in downtown. MM and Optima could be moved into the NS building or even in the Gateway tower the other businesses in the mall if they want to stay around the same area they can go in Janaf.