Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, vdogg said:

Friends and I are in downtown again tonight, and I just can't get enough of how 2 venues revitalized the ENTIRE area. Tons of people walking up and down Granby tonight and traffic coming in was heavy. I was a bit critical of how much money they invested in the Hilton, I thought Bruce should've paid more. That said, if foot traffic stays busy like this every weekend, they will recoup their investment in short order. 

I have to agree, I drove through downtown Sat night and there was definitely a lively vibe going on. Waterside was mobbed, the area surrounding the Main was hopping, and Granby street was buzzing. DT and TPP are going to be crazy Friday June 9th. Not only will there be the Harborfest parade of sail @ noon, but the Carnival Sunshine will be in port to embark on a 5 night cruise to the Bahamas and leaving @ 5pm. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Waterside District was absolutely packed, along with Townpoint Park & Granby Street. I didn't make it to The Main, but I'm sure it was crowded, as well.  Some friends of mine who came down on Saturday made the mistake of leaving by car around 10:30 PM to get back to the Beach. It took them an hour just to get on I-264.

• Like 1

I had friends in town from Indianapolis who used to live here. We started at Smartmouth over in Chelsea, then went to Waterside. They were very impressed, since Waterside was a ghost town the last time they were here. They thought the open food court idea was clever. 

It helped that the place was suddenly packed due to the surprise thunderstorm. 

• Like 2

Just now, BFG said:

The city is considering moving the Greyhound station elsewhere, possibly next to the Amtrak station at Harbor Park. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/norfolk-looks-to-move-the-greyhound-station-out-of-the/article_5a3aedf0-4454-5517-bf84-e1501e5e396c.html

It's a great idea to both centralize transit options and remove that hideous station from the NEON district.

• Like 2

I think that's a great spot for a skinny, all-glass tower of say, 25-30 stories. Mixed-use, with a small grocery store or retail component on the ground floor. Add in some small businesses that fit the feel of the NEON District. IMO, it would officially bridge the gap to officially make the NEON part of downtown.

• Like 3

Looking at Google Maps, I'm thinking the Greyhound lot itself might only be large enough for the tower, unless you build the garage on the first few floors, then the actual building above that. Otherwise, maybe buy the greasy spoon restaurant behind Greyhound, and expand the lot down Monticello. I don't even know if anything is in that building now.

Comparing to other buildings downtown, you could probably fit the Wells Fargo tower on the lot.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 9.28.19 PM.png

• Like 2

I doubt seriously that any tower will go there. Let's be honest here, folks. It's on the wrong side of Brambleton, and no matter how you slice it, it ain't downtown, and never will be downtown. Those 6 lanes of Hell you have to cross to get to downtown will make sure of that.That part of town has its own character, and i think that keeping the station as is is the way to go. There's already 20-30 parking spaces there, some covered. Make some sort of farmer's market or maybe another "business incubator" like they are planning for Selden Arcade. And rent out the restaurant part to some enterprising restaurateur.  

I do agree that the Greyhound station should be in Harbor Park, perhaps in an expansion of the Amtrak station, maybe even allow the Megabus to stop there too. Three services sharing a common seating area makes sense to me.

4 hours ago, jeffconn said:

I doubt seriously that any tower will go there. Let's be honest here, folks. It's on the wrong side of Brambleton, and no matter how you slice it, it ain't downtown, and never will be downtown. Those 6 lanes of Hell you have to cross to get to downtown will make sure of that.That part of town has its own character, and i think that keeping the station as is is the way to go. There's already 20-30 parking spaces there, some covered. Make some sort of farmer's market or maybe another "business incubator" like they are planning for Selden Arcade. And rent out the restaurant part to some enterprising restaurateur.  

I do agree that the Greyhound station should be in Harbor Park, perhaps in an expansion of the Amtrak station, maybe even allow the Megabus to stop there too. Three services sharing a common seating area makes sense to me.

There is no way that the city is going to move the bus station only to replace it with a farmer's market. This is a prime corner and a gateway property. It needs to produce mucho tax revenues. 

If it's not downtown, then what would you call it? Midtown? NEon? It's certainly downtown adjacent, at the very least,  and downtown proper is running out of suitable properties for high-rise construction. You said "never." I would never say "never."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeffconn said:

This is why the SPQ design was so odd to me. All these years I was personally looking forward to an expansion of DT into SPQ, many to include people on this board looked at an expansion across Brambleton. I'm with you, it will never be DT.

I would say the NEON district is part of downtown maybe not downtown formally but many see it as such. IMO the city should formally make it so as well as add a couple pedestrian bridges over bridges over brambleton the greyhound station property getting new development couldbe the first. 

• Like 2

I very much dislike that Greyhound station. It's a run-down building and is one of the first things people see in the arts district. Bleh. I hope they tear it down and turn it into an anything else. I agree that it's a gateway property and as such should present the NEON district in a much better light. What it should be I don't know.

I personally would consider NEON to be a part of "downtown", but I don't think you'll ever see any towers there anytime soon. What will probably happen is when we do see new construction it will be of buildings around 3-5 stories in size. If you haven't been there recently, they've been competing demolition of an old building on the site of a new apartment complex. I think it's been discussed on here before.

EDIT: Can't confirm it's the apartments being made, but that's what makes sense given the location and its history.

Edited by Arctic_Tern

Since the day I was born here, since my parents and grandparents came before me, and since my great-grandparents before them, that is downtown. And it will always be downtown.  I don't care if you call it NEon, FREon or Dionne...Warwick, it's still downtown.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

I thought downtown was unofficially redistricted to include the NEON and areas near the Chrysler. With all the activity happening over there, it's hard for me not to see it as an extension of DT. To not call it that makes it feel a little disconnected, but six lanes on Brambleton already disconnect things I guess. 

It is prime land, so I hope they use it wisely. 

• Like 1

You can redistrict things all you want. Besides the six lanes of Hell, think about what is on Brambleton. Scope, the Federal Building, the church with the humongous parking lot, that big park that nobody is supposed to use, the York Building, the Residence Marriott, the Belmont at Freemason. These don't invite people into downtown. They BLOCK off downtown. It's a huge wall, figuratively. That side of Brambleton is where downtown begins, period.

Personally, i love the Greyhound building. It is rather distinctive in a mid 20th Century way. Sure it's run down a bit, but heck, we're rehabbing buildings in downtown proper that were a LOT more rundown (and tilting in a scary way besides). I still think the Greyhound building would be a great asset to the NEON district. A restaurant, a common area with a farmer's market or small businesses, or even move the d'Art gallery there. I would DEFINITELY agree that the lot behind the Greyhound building (and the gated building that's been for sale forever) should be redeveloped. There's not much hope for those spaces, as is.