Norfolk Off-Topic

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came home for our family reunion this past weekend. First time in a long time I was able to drive around parts of Norfolk and I must say, Norfolk is looking good. I was surprised and shocked how much

Norfolk and Virginia Beach's CVBs have joined forces to promote both cities.  I love to see the state's largest and second largest cities that are joined at the hip cooperating with each other for a c

You mean the Hamptagon… I'll see my way out.

Posted Images

I think we lose perspective when you compare Norfolk to other cities.  Norfolk has come a long way from the 1980s when I last lived down there.  The vibrancy  of the city is amazing. And I credit the leaders, NRHA and the citizens for doggedly pursuing making Norfolk into a World Class city.  The country and the world is taking note.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, BFG said:

The city wants to revisit its plans to redevelop Wards Corner.

I live close to Wards Corner so hopefully this will take off. The Harris Teeter shopping center is working well, but across the street is still the same old bland shopping center with multiple vacancies. A lot of the problem is the parking lot. If the parking surface is old and unattractive with poor flow, it really does affect the shops. I don't like pulling into this parking lot because of this.

Across Granby is the other shopping center with the strip club. Overall, it is not a great shopping center. As it is, it does not attract a good crowd. The run down Rite Aid doesn't help either.

I know they've wanted to bring back the "Times Square of the South" nickname, and I read an interview where the mayor wants to get a hotel over there, because a lot of guests either stay downtown or near the airport. It would look odd, but a hotel somewhere over there makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, vdogg said:

It appears that we will not see a slow down in the apartment building boom for quite a long time.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_afd17566-41bd-5050-9596-2aabfa014639.html

Good. Maybe this type of data will help push a developer to create some TOD along the light-rail line or possibly an apartment "tower" or two in downtown Norfolk.

• Like 1

First, it looks like Glass Wheel Studio has left the NEON District, which is a bummer. I liked the setup they have over there.

http://altdaily.com/glass-wheel-studio-quietly-exits-the-neon-with-lots-of-noise-about-whats-next/

However, this blurb is interesting for a couple reasons:

The gossip is that TCC is also in talks about taking over the Greyhound station — which is city-owned — and the Greyhound then being a part of new developments on the other side of Brambleton. It’s fun to think about. With the major overhaul of the Granby Brambleton intersection, the parcel becoming brightly activated would make downtown and the NEON feel like one like they never have before.

For TCC, I hate to see Portsmouth lose the Visual Arts program, but that would be a huge boost for the arts scene in downtown Norfolk. That side of Granby is still pretty dead some nights, so this is actually a really exciting development. Plus, it puts everything much closer to the Norfolk campus. As for Greyhound, I'd still like to see something closer to the Amtrak station, but I guess it makes sense to move to where the HRT station is.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BFG said:

The State of the City address is tomorrow morning. I’d be interested to see if there are any surprise announcements. I think we’re kinda overdue for some big news. 

Sentara did just announce a huge new $93.5M Cancer Treatment Center to be built on their Leigh Sentara campus.  

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/health/article_9c2c260c-4a2b-507e-8045-b868a7089b60.html

• Like 1

I think that Sentara is leading the charge in reinventing the area where the Leigh hospital is. They are clearing building up with a medical campus that looks more urban.

I can see that area a little mid town between DT Norfolk and VB Town Center.

Now if only VB would get onboard LRT.....

20 hours ago, BFG said:

The State of the City address is tomorrow morning. I’d be interested to see if there are any surprise announcements. I think we’re kinda overdue for some big news. 

How about a new 16k to 18k seat arena in the Military Circle area (with financing in-place) and a funded extension of light rail to the site? That would be exciting.

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

How about a new 16k to 18k seat arena in the Military Circle area (with financing in-place) and a funded extension of light rail to the site? That would be exciting.

An arena announcement is definitely what I’m crossing my fingers for. Mayor Alexander announced Scope renovations at last year’s address. I think a new arena is what we need. 

That article is very exciting! Also included is a Ferris Wheel (apparently for the summer only) and development on the vacant lot at MacArthur. I’m beyond blown away!

Edited by BFG

Oh what could have been. Was trolling through emporis and found a listing for a 32-story 400 ft tower that was never built. It was called the NCNB tower. Anyone know what happened to this project and why it fell through. When was it proposed? I can’t seem to find any information on this. Would love to see a rendering.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/1151348/ncnb-tower-norfolk-va-usa

• Like 1
  • vdogg locked this topic
  • vdogg unlocked this topic