Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

11 minutes ago, metalman said:

On the same website-  what in the world is this!!!

Scope Reno and mi use addition across St. Paul's.  Scope pyramid concept.

https://www.egdinternational.com/?lightbox=dataItem-j5dbq6i8

Love this concept. I wonder if that would free-up the underground parking to "dig down" and increase the seating capacity?

The Scope design looks like it’s just upgrades to the concourse. Someone proposed this about five years ago, but I don’t think it came to fruition. 

I can’t see the Brambleton Station concept working without a fight from those two churches. Even though the city technically owns the lot, that would create a mess, esp on days when there’s church services and an event at the Scope. 

3 hours ago, BFG said:

The Scope design looks like it’s just upgrades to the concourse. Someone proposed this about five years ago, but I don’t think it came to fruition. 

I can’t see the Brambleton Station concept working without a fight from those two churches. Even though the city technically owns the lot, that would create a mess, esp on days when there’s church services and an event at the Scope. 

RE: Brambleton Station

Isn't that part of living in a big city though? People, activity, traffic, noise, etc?

As much as I want Norfolk to grow, in both population and density, I just can't see it working at that particular location. Traffic and activity is expected, but this looks like they're shoehorning development into a busy enough area.

I'd place it a little further up St. Paul's, either next to the McDonald's or the old Cedar Grove transfer station. Or tear down the hotel.

^ I'm confused.  Brambleton Station and the rendered parking deck at St. Pauls and Brambleton are two different things, right?  Where is Brambleton Station proposed?

In those Scope conceptual renderings it looks like they're planning to replace the surface lot at Brambleton and St Pauls with a giant parking deck, which would add lots more parking supply there.  I wonder why the need for so much more parking.  Is there a shortage during events at Scope now?

^ I'm confused.  Brambleton Station and the rendered parking deck at St. Pauls and Brambleton are two different things, right?  Where is Brambleton Station proposed?
In those Scope conceptual renderings it looks like they're planning to replace the surface lot at Brambleton and St Pauls with a giant parking deck, which would add lots more parking supply there.  I wonder why the need for so much more parking.  Is there a shortage during events at Scope now?
The expansion will affect the underground parking lot is what I assumed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've now had a chance to look at the rendering again, and missed the parking deck part. That actually does make a ton of sense.

I could see retail facing St. Paul and the Scope, and parts of Bute St and Brambleton, then a garage on the other side, facing the churches. With the underground parking eliminated, I could see the 4,000 seats they want to add to Scope.

Am I the only one that thinks that spending the money to dig down into the parking lot, redo the concourses, putting a circus tent on top of it and then building a completely new parking garage with a sky bridge it looks like is a colossal waste of money to try to hold onto an almost 50 year old obsolete building? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Am I the only one that thinks that spending the money to dig down into the parking lot, redo the concourses, putting a circus tent on top of it and then building a completely new parking garage with a sky bridge it looks like is a colossal waste of money to try to hold onto an almost 50 year old obsolete building? 

The NBA isn't coming. The NHL isn't coming. You can bet your bottom dollar no upgrade of Scope is going to conceal or alter the concrete dome part. But removing parking underneath to expand seating, concourses, etc. is the only way Scope can be "upgraded" really., and it needs to be. Adding a parking deck with commercial spaces across the street is a good solution. Maybe we can get some residential on top of a parking deck?

• Like 1

They should turn it into some sort of museum and build a completely new build building....we could turn it into a natural history/science museum

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

The NBA isn't coming. The NHL isn't coming. You can bet your bottom dollar no upgrade of Scope is going to conceal or alter the concrete dome part. But removing parking underneath to expand seating, concourses, etc. is the only way Scope can be "upgraded" really., and it needs to be. Adding a parking deck with commercial spaces across the street is a good solution. Maybe we can get some residential on top of a parking deck?

The NBA and the NHL weren't coming to the oceanfront arena either. Scope doesn't need to be upgraded, it needs to be replaced. What is being missed out on that the extra 4000 seats will bring? 

I think the only thing it might bring is the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament or an NBA/NHL exhibition. If the seating is still going to be cramped with 4,000 more seats, no thanks. Do this right and build an arena. It doesn't have to be downtown, though that would be nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BFG said:

I think the only thing it might bring is the opening rounds of the NCAA Tournament or an NBA/NHL exhibition. If the seating is still going to be cramped with 4,000 more seats, no thanks. Do this right and build an arena. It doesn't have to be downtown, though that would be nice.

Going through the attendance on basketball configurations, a newly expanded 14000 seat Norfolk Scope would come in 6th of out the 8 arenas in this years tournament. Besting Boise's Taco Bell Arena and SDSU's Cox Arena but San Diego does have a larger though older Sports Arena that is bigger and also home to our former Admirals :tw_angry:. Wichita's arena is 15k and the only other that is not home to an NBA or NHL team. So yes we could host a first round game.    

9 hours ago, tallguy81" said:

Sleek renderings for downtown plaza. http://studiombdc.com/projects/downtown-plaza/.  

So. Many. Questions... Chief among them, where's the brand new bus station and where are the apartments that are currently being built in the quadrant? Plan is ambitious, but doesn't seem to jive with present reality.