Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

9 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Correct, but the satellite imagery or aerial imagery included in your post includes The Main's property at the corner of Main Street & Granby. And alas, the building is nonexistent. 

Yep...I probably should’ve clarified, but I indeed meant the satellite map. 

Looks like this is a preview of what's to come. They've raised $2.6 million for upgrades to the park, including glow in the dark trails and signs. I keep forgetting it connects from West Ghent (Chelsea) all the way to Harbor Park. Seems like the city really understates that fact...would also be nice if there were more park space closer to the stadium.

21 minutes ago, tallguy81" said:

I just found a rendering for VERY TALL SKYSCRAPERS around harbor park!

New development called 1500 Monticello.  http://www.concordeastridge.com/projects/1500-monticello-avenue

This one's been in planning for a couple years, but it seems to have been put on the back burner. Last time I was over that way (last week or so), it was fenced off. I think they took down the leasing info signs, so maybe something will pick up soon.

1 hour ago, tallguy81" said:

Here is the skyscrapers rendering.  

BROWNFIELD.JPG

Were these renderings submitted in response to an RFP?

1 hour ago, tallguy81" said:

I just found a rendering for VERY TALL SKYSCRAPERS around harbor park!

New development called 1500 Monticello.  http://www.concordeastridge.com/projects/1500-monticello-avenue

There is a thread for this here.

Project is currently stalled.

2 hours ago, tallguy81" said:

Nice find with the harbor park rendering imo.

What is an rfp?

“Request for Proposals”. It’s something that a city puts out when they want a particular area developed in a certain fashion. There are likely several different proposals for this land. Once the city decides on a particular proposal, they’ll usually enter into some public/private partnership to get the project  done.

It's clear that the Harbor Park area is an area the city really wants and needs to develop. First phase (for me) would be clean-up, bulkhead, in-fill land to create a wider area between Harbor Park and the river all the way west to the bridge area. Phase 2 (for me) would be to develop west of Harbor Park with dense mixed-use buildings. Phase 3 would be for development near the train station.

Water front property availability is rare. A great opportunity here.

Harbor Park Area.jpg

Edited by carolinaboy
ADDED IMAGE

On 4/6/2018 at 8:48 AM, carolinaboy said:

It's clear that the Harbor Park area is an area the city really wants and needs to develop. First phase (for me) would be clean-up, bulkhead, in-fill land to create a wider area between Harbor Park and the river all the way west to the bridge area. Phase 2 (for me) would be to develop west of Harbor Park with dense mixed-use buildings. Phase 3 would be for development near the train station.

Water front property availability is rare. A great opportunity here.

Harbor Park Area.jpg

Just a couple of questions, what would the bulk head look like? Will it rise above ground level? and if it does is it the intent to infill some or something.  Two, why is harbor being expanded? I know they said it was capable of expanding, but what would be the purpose?

No one ever talks about the green space next to harbor park, I'm sure its private property but I think it will be hella valuable one day. right now they have some low budget crap apartments there and an old home (last time I was in that area)

2 hours ago, brikkman said:

Two, why is harbor being expanded? I know they said it was capable of expanding, but what would be the purpose?

My guess is they want to make themselves look feasible if/when MLB wants to expand. From what I understand, what’s now the Nationals liked Norfolk, but didn’t want to wait to expand Harbor Park when RFK existed. Just a guess. 

Went to tides open night this past week, and it either was sold out or near it. That place is jammed when at capacity. Took 45 minutes to get off the highway, and 3 innings to order something to eat. 

It really is a beautiful park but in my opinion needs an expansion. At least more room for vendors, and a larger walkway. 

Before development takes place around the stadium they need to figure out a better way to facilitate traffic in and out of the area, maybe a parking garage for harbor park that can be entered right off the highway. Just my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Up2313 said:

Went to tides open night this past week, and it either was sold out or near it. That place is jammed when at capacity. Took 45 minutes to get off the highway, and 3 innings to order something to eat. 

It really is a beautiful park but in my opinion needs an expansion. At least more room for vendors, and a larger walkway. 

Before development takes place around the stadium they need to figure out a better way to facilitate traffic in and out of the area, maybe a parking garage for harbor park that can be entered right off the highway. Just my opinion. 

Ride the Tide?

6 hours ago, BFG said:

This article from last year may explain the expansion ideas...

https://pilotonline.com/sports/baseball/norfolk-tides/article_5b91b8f1-1aae-5838-b99a-7f08c76f6311.html

Hopefully additional seating does happen. I heard there was a nice crowd on hand for the exhibition match against the Orioles.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 9.52.45 PM.png

I went to exhibition and was disappointed with the turnout. Crowd was maybe comparable to an average weekend (non-holiday/no promo) game but it was also cold (at least for baseball). But the traffic getting in was awful. I took the Tide in (Newtown's parking lot was pretty crowded) but some of the group I went with drove in and it took them an hour after getting off of the interstate to get parking and even then it was at Dominion Tower.  

13 hours ago, lammius said:

Ride the Tide?

Not always an option for everyone. Even then, not sure what it was like coming in, however leaving looked like at least a 30 min wait to get on. 

That new walkway would have been nice. 

Edited by Up2313

• 2 weeks later...

I was near ODU today and I immediately noticed that huge plot of land between 40th and 41st streets that's currently sitting vacant. There are a ton of mixed used apartments w/ ground floor retail on one side and even more apartments on the other. It's just a big, empty field of grass in the middle of an urban neighborhood and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any insight into why this huge plot of prime land still hasn't been developed? Using Google Maps I can see that it's been sitting like that for years.