vdogg

Norfolk Off-Topic

2 hours ago, brikkman said:

Two, why is harbor being expanded? I know they said it was capable of expanding, but what would be the purpose?

My guess is they want to make themselves look feasible if/when MLB wants to expand. From what I understand, what’s now the Nationals liked Norfolk, but didn’t want to wait to expand Harbor Park when RFK existed. Just a guess. 

Went to tides open night this past week, and it either was sold out or near it. That place is jammed when at capacity. Took 45 minutes to get off the highway, and 3 innings to order something to eat. 

It really is a beautiful park but in my opinion needs an expansion. At least more room for vendors, and a larger walkway. 

Before development takes place around the stadium they need to figure out a better way to facilitate traffic in and out of the area, maybe a parking garage for harbor park that can be entered right off the highway. Just my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Up2313 said:

Went to tides open night this past week, and it either was sold out or near it. That place is jammed when at capacity. Took 45 minutes to get off the highway, and 3 innings to order something to eat. 

It really is a beautiful park but in my opinion needs an expansion. At least more room for vendors, and a larger walkway. 

Before development takes place around the stadium they need to figure out a better way to facilitate traffic in and out of the area, maybe a parking garage for harbor park that can be entered right off the highway. Just my opinion. 

Ride the Tide?

6 hours ago, BFG said:

This article from last year may explain the expansion ideas...

https://pilotonline.com/sports/baseball/norfolk-tides/article_5b91b8f1-1aae-5838-b99a-7f08c76f6311.html

Hopefully additional seating does happen. I heard there was a nice crowd on hand for the exhibition match against the Orioles.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 9.52.45 PM.png

I went to exhibition and was disappointed with the turnout. Crowd was maybe comparable to an average weekend (non-holiday/no promo) game but it was also cold (at least for baseball). But the traffic getting in was awful. I took the Tide in (Newtown's parking lot was pretty crowded) but some of the group I went with drove in and it took them an hour after getting off of the interstate to get parking and even then it was at Dominion Tower.  

13 hours ago, lammius said:

Ride the Tide?

Not always an option for everyone. Even then, not sure what it was like coming in, however leaving looked like at least a 30 min wait to get on. 

That new walkway would have been nice. 

Edited by Up2313

I was near ODU today and I immediately noticed that huge plot of land between 40th and 41st streets that's currently sitting vacant. There are a ton of mixed used apartments w/ ground floor retail on one side and even more apartments on the other. It's just a big, empty field of grass in the middle of an urban neighborhood and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any insight into why this huge plot of prime land still hasn't been developed? Using Google Maps I can see that it's been sitting like that for years. 

ODU Master Plan

its from 2013 so it needs to be updated but they definitely at least long term plans for it. I think there's still two properties remaining:  a small apartment building next to the parking garage and Central Radio (who challenged the eminent domain).  Based on the plan, the space is proposed for research, admin, housing, and parking uses. 

Last week, the city broke ground on new residential development in OV.  The plan is to build 40 new homes.

https://pilotonline.com/pdf_6dd15b16-4a43-11e8-9d4f-97cfb650802b.html

Great to see development happening on that stretch of town. Hopefully, we see more in the next year...not just single-family homes, but condos/townhouses, apartments and some high-rises. OV has a lot of potential.

Speaking of high-rises, are there still height restrictions over there?

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, BFG said:

Last week, the city broke ground on new residential development in OV.  The plan is to build 40 new homes.

https://pilotonline.com/pdf_6dd15b16-4a43-11e8-9d4f-97cfb650802b.html

Great to see development happening on that stretch of town. Hopefully, we see more in the next year...not just single-family homes, but condos/townhouses, apartments and some high-rises. OV has a lot of potential.

Speaking of high-rises, are there still height restrictions over there?

The new development in OV is nice, but I still hate to see those beautiful oak trees destroyed.

A few new details (11 in total) have been released about the new Skywheel downtown. Among them...

• The team expects to have the ride fully assembled by May 15, with a soft opening two days later.
  • The $7 million Ferris wheel was built in the Netherlands and is outfitted with 36 enclosed, air-conditioned gondolas that are big enough to stand inside and accommodate wheelchairs. Each holds up to six people, but no passenger would have to ride with strangers.
  • The wheel will be in Norfolk for four months. The team likely will operate the ride between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m. daily. Though it’s scheduled to be a temporary visit, Schneider said it’s not out of the question that the wheel’s sublease could be extended if it’s successful.
  • Riders will be able to take food and cocktails bought at Waterside aboard the wheel. In other places, the company has offered date-night packages that include two tickets and chocolate or crackers, wine and cheese – promotions it might try in Norfolk as well.

https://pilotonline.com/entertainment/article_e656b99c-4f1a-11e8-9aa7-d70b7d0026a6.html

Edited by BFG

$14 a ride for adults and $12 for kids tho?  Do you want to take your family on a Ferris wheel ride or feed them for a week?  Not even the Coney Island Cyclone, long the benchmark of amusement ride ripoffs, approaches that level of extortion. </cheap old guy rant> 

The Capital Wheel at National Harbor is a little more expensive and the view is not worth it. The view here is probably the best you're going to get in the area for this type of attraction.  I think it's a little dramatic to call it extortion. 

Okay, I'll admit it. I was a bit meh bout the ferris wheel. But coming through the downtown tunnel at night on the way home and having that be the first thing that greets you is breathtaking. It has a phenomenal presence and really compliments the multi-colored lights on our Skyline. What a great addition.

The energy downtown tonight is electrifying! It’s gonna be a great summer if this continues, esp with the Ferris Wheel. 

FE53733E-A429-434E-8AAA-EA051A401E34.jpeg

• Like 1

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/retail/article_11b7f60e-59e4-11e8-b967-cf43f67fae43.html

The BB&T building is getting a bit of an upgrade to the exterior and interior. Plans include a possible lounge or restaurant on the ground floor. I'd love to see this part, however...

“The exterior is faded … you can tell where it was once a black shiny building, but now it’s faded from the sun,” Galanti said. The windows will be etched to bring back their transparency and black gloss will be added to metal elements.

13 minutes ago, BFG said:

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/retail/article_11b7f60e-59e4-11e8-b967-cf43f67fae43.html

The BB&T building is getting a bit of an upgrade to the exterior and interior. Plans include a possible lounge or restaurant on the ground floor. I'd love to see this part, however...

Are you saying you won't be able to see it because they're making the glass transparent?  I feel like I might be misinterpreting this. 

I’m staying in the Miami area again, and I’m thinking of how they could develop the beachfront areas back home. Nothing elaborate, but a cluster of high rises, reasonably priced apartments, etc. could transform that area. Sorry, but I’m not blown away by the single family houses that start at a half-million dollars.

Anyway, does anyone know if this ever took off? Or if there’s anything else about what will be happening at the Greenie’s location?

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_a74dd6d7-223e-583b-b202-b44d965c5ab5.html

Norfolk State University is in the process of increasing on campus housing with the addition of new dorms.  I'm not to thrilled with all the parking spaces, but always cheer increased density.  https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/continuing-education-work-development/article_d9f8a08a-756b-11e8-ad22-634c8696e591.html

On 4/11/2018 at 9:56 PM, BFG said:

This article from last year may explain the expansion ideas...

https://pilotonline.com/sports/baseball/norfolk-tides/article_5b91b8f1-1aae-5838-b99a-7f08c76f6311.html

Hopefully additional seating does happen. I heard there was a nice crowd on hand for the exhibition match against the Orioles.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 9.52.45 PM.png

There's absolutely no reason to expand Harbor Park. I do agree that it could and should be freshened up. But if anything, they should actually reduce capacity some. The Tides haven't averaged more than 6k fans per game since 2008 (10 years).  In fact, they may very well not even get to 5K fans/game this year. It's true that they do sell out two of three times per year. But spending bunches of money on a couple games a year would not be a wise investment. 

And while the future Nationals may have been impressed with Norfolk back in 2005, I think the Hampton Roads area has been overtaken as a MLB expansion candidate by several metropolitan areas since (Charlotte for example is clearly a MUCH better option).

Edited by HRVT

MLB will expand by 2 probably within the next 5-10 years and there are plenty of excellent candidate cities, Charlotte/Raleigh, Memphis/Nashville, Portland, Vegas and Montreal. Norfolk has a downtown stadium, something that these major league teams love. Plus Norfolk is pushing development towards the stadium. The Tides and the city are doing what they should to keep the stadium relevant.

I think our best chance at sports lies with NBA or NHL, so I’d focus on getting Scope up to par, and then create a long term goal for a new arena at Military Circle. I really hope the city doesn’t sit on either one of those plans.

Moving the Virginia Beach FC team up to USL would be nice too.