Norfolk Off-Topic

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL. No offense, but... Newsflash! All kinds of people have automobiles, and VB is not exactly the Tower on the Hill most of it's residents believe it to be. VB needs to evolve from 1963.

Came home for our family reunion this past weekend. First time in a long time I was able to drive around parts of Norfolk and I must say, Norfolk is looking good. I was surprised and shocked how much

You mean the Hamptagon… I'll see my way out.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Virginia City said:

MLB will expand by 2 probably within the next 5-10 years and there are plenty of excellent candidate cities, Charlotte/Raleigh, Memphis/Nashville, Portland, Vegas and Montreal. Norfolk has a downtown stadium, something that these major league teams love. Plus Norfolk is pushing development towards the stadium. The Tides and the city are doing what they should to keep the stadium relevant.

MLB is waiting for the Rays and A's to decide what they will be doing, either staying where they are or relocating. Then the league plans on expanding two more teams. Currently, Portland is the most organized with trying to get a team, and based off what I am hearing, it is a pretty safe bet that one of the expansion teams will go to Portland if the A's don't move to Portland.

I have to agree with others, NBA or NHL would be the best shot at getting a pro team in Hampton Roads. Though I don't know if any teams are looking to move and I don't think the NBA is looking to expand. I know NHL is expanding, but are looking at much bigger markets than Hampton Roads with cities like Seattle courting them. I do think it would be ideal for Hampton Roads to go after getting a MLS team since they have been actively expanding into new markets and targeting places that have one or no pro teams.

Edited by urbanlife
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Virginia City said:

MLB will expand by 2 probably within the next 5-10 years and there are plenty of excellent candidate cities, Charlotte/Raleigh, Memphis/Nashville, Portland, Vegas and Montreal. Norfolk has a downtown stadium, something that these major league teams love. Plus Norfolk is pushing development towards the stadium. The Tides and the city are doing what they should to keep the stadium relevant.

I'm not sold that that's even the case. Heck, a few years ago CONTRACTION was more of a possibility than expansion. The Marlins and Rays both draw fewer than 15K/game this season. Oakland, Pittsburgh, and the White Sox all draw fewer than 20K/game (and Cincinnati is JUST over the 20K mark).

But Charlotte, Nashville, Portland, Vegas, and Montreal are just a few cities that are ahead of Norfolk/Virginia Beach in the pecking order for a Major League team as far as relocation or theoretical (unrealistic) expansion. Raleigh would likely be ahead of Norfolk. And I could see Mexico City getting involved too.

10 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I know NHL is expanding, but are looking at much bigger markets than Hampton Roads with cities like Seattle courting them. I do think it would be ideal for Hampton Roads to go after getting a MLS team since they have been actively expanding into new markets and targeting places that have one or no pro teams.

Vegas could help make the case for a smaller market like ours (I think their metro is just over 2M), but I think we would have a better shot at a relocated team, if there are still any teams in jeopardy in their current city.

39 minutes ago, BFG said:

Vegas could help make the case for a smaller market like ours (I think their metro is just over 2M), but I think we would have a better shot at a relocated team, if there are still any teams in jeopardy in their current city.

Oakland and Tampa Bay are the two likely candidates. Miami's attendance recovered initially after they built the new stadium a few years ago, but it has fallen back to terrible (drawing just over 10K a game right now). 

FWIW, the Vegas MSA has about 2.2 million people. Not huge, but substantially larger than Hampton Roads. That said, new teams tend to see a lot of support and following. Let's see what happens to the Golden Knights over the next five years or so. I bet their fan support won't be so great once they have a down year or two. Let's see how the Raiders do once they move and have been there a few years.

Edited by HRVT
  • Like 1

I think another problem Hampton Roads runs into is a lack of large corporations to buy luxury boxes & advertising. We currently have three Fortune 500 companies. Our region needs to focus on diversifying the economy before attempting to attract any pro team. 

• Like 1

I really don't see why we don't pursue mls more. They are in the process of exanding and are going to add a number of teams over the next ten years. Part of why you're hearing other cities names is because there are people making a case for that area. We have no one leading that charge. I think MLS has a 150 mil by in fee and likes urban stadiums to be apart of the proposal. 

Baseball will never happen hear because of mlb territory rights/laws. The O's barely allowed the nats and got the deal of a lifetime while doing so. No way they ever let a team relocate here. As you see that big banner in harbor park "This is bird land". 

Hockey will not be coming here ever probably. I love hockey and it's my favorite sport. But the truth is there's smaller cities/metros in Canada that can support a team easily. Look for Quebec City, Regina , and toronto (Second Team)to get a team before most USA cities. 

Basketball could work here, but without an arena its gonna be impossible to pull a team here. 

Just my 2 cents. 

I agree that MLB is a long shot. Every MLB city also has at least one other pro team. Basketball would work great here but Scope won't work and we would need a new arena. I also don't think they have looked at expansion recently either and I can't see any teams relocating. Hockey would be popular but again arena issues. I've been hearing that the new team will probably be in Houston.  The longer we wait the harder it will be to get an MLS team as well. They just announced teams 25 (Nashville) and 26 (Cincinnati) and those 2 cities were competing against 10 others. Also they want an urban setting stadium which means the Sportsplex would not cut it.

I like to think about this topic. I think it is very unlikely that Norfolk and/or Virginia Beach get any major league franchise, relocation, new or otherwise. Of course I would love any major league pro franchise here but I just can't see it happening. My thoughts:

NFL

• I think the Jacksonville Jaguars will move to Orlando. Orlando has a pro-ready stadium, the NBA and MLS. They would keep the same fan base essentially.
  • Cities likely to get a team: Saint Louis, San Diego
  • Probably won't get a team but ahead of ORF/VB: Oakland, Austin, San Antonio, Columbus, Portland, Oklahoma City, Louisville, Salt Lake, Raleigh, Memphis

NBA

• I think the Clippers move to Las Vegas for all the obvious reasons.
  • Cities that could get a team: Seattle, San Diego, Saint Louis, Kansas City
  • Probably won't get a team but ahead of ORF/VB: Austin, Nashville ,Louisville, Tampa, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Columbus, Raleigh, Buffalo

MLB

• I think the Tampa Bay Rays will move to Orlando. I think Oakland is likely to move to Las Vegas.
  • Cities that could get a team: Charlotte, Nashville, Portland
  • Probably won't get a team but ahead of ORF/VB: Austin, Raleigh, San Antonio, Salt Lake, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville

NHL

• Norfolk and VB have an outside shot at the NHL. A lot of transient population from other parts of the country where hockey is popular. Appropriate arena in the region seems unlikely.
  • I believe the Carolina Hurricanes would like a move, possibly to Charlotte or Quebec
  • I believe either the Lightning or Panthers will move to Orlando.
  • Cities likely to get a team: Seattle, Quebec, Houston
  • Probably won't get a team but ahead of ORF/VB: New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, Hartford, Portland, Salt Lake, OKC, Atlanta, San Diego

MLS

• Best shot for the region to get a team. Stadiums don't have to be as big or cost as much. HR seems to be a soccer hotspot.
  • Cities ahead of HR: Raleigh, Charlotte, New Orleans, Austin (I think the Crew may be moving here), Phoenix, Las Vegas, Monteray, Detroit

NASCAR

• Years ago I thought a 2.5 mile super speedway in Virginia Beach would succeed. Now I think NASCAR is dying, certainly waning.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove through downtown tonight, and for it to be a Tuesday night, I was very surprised at how busy it was at both Waterside and the Main, and along Granby. I expected it to be a ghost town, but there was no parking along the streets. I actually thought it was Restaurant Week, but that's apparently next week.

• Like 1

I was in downtown last Monday (July 2) and the Monday prior as well. Waterside had a lot of people in it and it was fairly busy all around the area by The Main too. It helped that there was a large Physics convention across the river on June 25-29th that brought a lot of people to Waterside and the Marriott as well.

• Like 1

I think we all feel lucky when Norfolk (as well as all of Hampton Roads) has a major project going on. It really is few and far between though. Norfolk just completed the Main Hilton and now the Gateway Tower is going to hopefully get started soon. But I'm always wondering why development is so slow here? I was in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the amount of construction going on just in downtown close to the Inner Harbor. There were at least four towers going up that would all be taller than anything in Norfolk. I truly am envious of Baltimore's downtown.

Here's a cool website that tracks all of Baltimore's construction: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/maps/crane-watch

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

I think we all feel lucky when Norfolk (as well as all of Hampton Roads) has a major project going on. It really is few and far between though. Norfolk just completed the Main Hilton and now the Gateway Tower is going to hopefully get started soon. But I'm always wondering why development is so slow here? I was in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at the amount of construction going on just in downtown close to the Inner Harbor. There were at least four towers going up that would all be taller than anything in Norfolk. I truly am envious of Baltimore's downtown.

Here's a cool website that tracks all of Baltimore's construction: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/maps/crane-watch

Yup, my office is right off inner harbor in harbor east (most would  consider it inner harbor if you are tourist), literally a 3 min walk... adjacent to  our building an apartment complex is going up. I know at least two others that are apartments as well that are going up. And another tower across the street looking out my window now was just completed the end of last year... When I first caught wind of SPQ being redeveloped, I thought that would be Norfolk's jump point, but they contend to redo housing instead of building up its business district. Its sad to see that they raised taxes like that and continue to do it on the backs of their real estate taxes but no one is doing better than ten years before... That's a sad thought.

I think Norfolk is doing just fine for a city it's size.  I think one of the things overlooked is the sheer amount of existing buildings that have been saved and renovated (instead of being torn down), keeping a lot of the existing urban fabric. It's nice to see high-rises go up no doubt. We've had a few over the last couple of years and have a few more yet to come. No 40 or 50 floor buildings for sure, but what we are getting is nice. I would be worried if there were no projects on the horizon. We have River tower and Gateway tower to look forward to at least.

• Like 2

Torn about this. Bringing new people to the region is always a good thing but at what cost? We need to diversify the region's economy away from the military but this is just driving us further in.

8 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Torn about this. Bringing new people to the region is always a good thing but at what cost? We need to diversify the region's economy away from the military but this is just driving us further in.

IMHO it does not have to be an either-or dynamic. There are other areas with a large military presence which do quite well in other sectors.  It would seem to me that NATO jobs would be at the higher end of the military-type pay grade spectrum so they should be welcomed with open arms.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Ocean View Landmark Greenies is going to be closing on September 5th and will torn down to make way for parking and increased access to the beach.  Norfolk still loves tearing down buildings and replacing them with ugly parking.  https://wtkr.com/2018/08/17/norfolks-greenies-beach-bar-grille-closing-september-5/

Norfolk doesn't seem to know what they want to do with OV. You could create a bit of nightlife over there, and you don't want this to become another Dome site. Not to say a wave park belongs there, but a parking lot is really weak IMO.

• Like 2
  • vdogg locked this topic
  • vdogg unlocked this topic