Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

On 11/22/2016 at 9:48 AM, brikkman said:

Where did you take that from portsmouths, have any coordinates? I want to take that shot. I was home two weeks ago and wanted to take the shot for my wall here in my bmore home. But didn't have to ride around and find the perfect spot..

It's right here: https://goo.gl/maps/wsjANeDdQLP2

Here's another interesting place to take a picture from.  If you stop in the marina store and ask nicely they'll let you out on the pier.

https://goo.gl/maps/BHT1VUPniB32

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Travel and Leisure magazine named Norfolk one of the Top 50 best places to travel in 2017. Top 50 places in the world. Noted are the breweries, Waterside Live and the NEON District.

Whatever it is Norfolk is doing, they need to keep it up...that's great recognition IMO.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2017#waterfront-norfolk-virginia

• Like 1

According to the linked article: "Downtown Norfolk has seen vacancy rates in Class A and B product drop from 32.6 percent in third-quarter 2015 to 12.9 percent in third-quarter 2016."

The rest of the article talks about Buddy Gadams, Cordish and other downtown developments. But WOW, a 20% drop in vacancy in a year? that's pretty impressive.

3 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

According to the linked article: "Downtown Norfolk has seen vacancy rates in Class A and B product drop from 32.6 percent in third-quarter 2015 to 12.9 percent in third-quarter 2016."

The rest of the article talks about Buddy Gadams, Cordish and other downtown developments. But WOW, a 20% drop in vacancy in a year? that's pretty impressive.

Could this drop have more to do with the BofA tower being converted to a residential building and the Royster building becoming a hotel?

1 hour ago, urbanlife said:

Could this drop have more to do with the BofA tower being converted to a residential building and the Royster building becoming a hotel?

Most of the drop is from those 2 being converted and from ADP taking 2 commercial and the rest of the staff of BoA moving out into other areas. This could mean another office building within the next few years if it continues to stay low or drop.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:18 PM, BFG said:

Cool! Could this justify another office tower or two being built downtown?

If I had to guess, I'd say the answer is probably yes. Obviously it would be a few years but vacancy rates in Norfolk have gone from abysmal to approaching the need for more space. I'm not sure there will be a huge building built, but I could see a 15-18 story tower helping to fulfill the demand. If vacancy rates hold, there will probably be new office space built in 7 or 8 years.

Edited by HRVT

On 12/21/2016 at 1:58 PM, Urbanlooker said:

Most of the drop is from those 2 being converted and from ADP taking 2 commercial and the rest of the staff of BoA moving out into other areas. This could mean another office building within the next few years if it continues to stay low or drop.

It is interesting that such a prime commercial real estate in the middle of downtown is being converted to residential. I would have imagined they would have rather updated the building to meet the current demands for commercial tenants, and then just built a new residential building along Waterside Dr, in the space where the drive thru was. It is an interesting move that I don't really understand why it was done the way it was done.

At this point, I love that more and more people are coming downtown, but I'm kinda "apartmented out" right now. Although I would love to see an all-glass 20- or 30-story high-rise in the skyline (wouldn't mind seeing Council approve that space next to Waterside), I think I'd rather see another office tower with a signature design. 

I get that having more apartments helps set things up for the next ADP-type company that wants to come here, but work on getting both businesses and residents. Norfolk needs both.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 1:27 PM, BFG said:

At this point, I love that more and more people are coming downtown, but I'm kinda "apartmented out" right now. Although I would love to see an all-glass 20- or 30-story high-rise in the skyline (wouldn't mind seeing Council approve that space next to Waterside), I think I'd rather see another office tower with a signature design. 

I get that having more apartments helps set things up for the next ADP-type company that wants to come here, but work on getting both businesses and residents. Norfolk needs both.

More people living downtown will eventually help there be more businesses downtown. You know, critical mass and all that jazz. There's still quite a bit of retail space available in downtown, inside and outside of MacArthur Mall. I keep hoping that someone will eventually rent out the old Quality Shoppes building. That looks like such a prime location to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, BFG said:

So Norfolk is at least considering trying for the arena in case VB says no. A very. very preliminary plan has it possibly going where Costco sits near Military Circle.

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/an-arena-off-military-highway-norfolk-officials-say-it-s/article_4d54aa8b-c073-50c2-8197-dc5dd5e08037.html

So here's a question. If VB passes on the arena and Norfolk decides to move forward and build it at Military Circle, what happens to the Scope?

4 hours ago, Virginia City said:

So here's a question. If VB passes on the arena and Norfolk decides to move forward and build it at Military Circle, what happens to the Scope?

My guess is that it is torn down as it becomes somewhat redundant with The Ted (but much older and in more prime real estate). Then you have the footprint for another high-rise tower (whether offices or apartments/condos).

Edited by HRVT

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, BFG said:

I was in B-More last year Mother's Day weekend. Sketchy rep aside, it was cool seeing how vibrant and busy downtown was (it probably helped that there was an O's game that day). But, if Norfolk can move in that direction and become half as busy as B-More, I'd say they've succeeded. We're finally starting to feel like a city.

Gotta get up to Richmond soon. Hearing great things are happening up there too!

I am very familiar with Baltimore, and all I can say is besides Camden Yards and right along the edge of the harbor, it's scary as a mug.

Edited by baobabs727

19 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

I am very familiar with Baltimore, and all I can say is besides Camden Yards and right along the edge of the harbor, it's scary as a mug.

I completely agree.  I stayed at an Airbnb a few blocks from OPACY in August and the row houses are really cool but a third of them are boarded up or completed gutted to the shell.  I've never been up to Baltimore for anything other than an O's game so I have no idea what it's like without a major event but I would imagine Norfolk would only get busy like that for the same reasons:  a major festival or a cruise ship at the Half Moon.

Well let me tell you from someone who stays in Bmore county and works in DT Bmore... Bmore is a scary place if you aren't use to those kinds of sites, sounds and people. It amazes me how so many people use to live in these neighborhoods and now a LOT are vacant with plywood. Many of the occupied row homes are disrepair, its like their codes department is nonexistent. Bmore represents a city where drugs completely run the place and the history of drugs can be seen in everyday life. Its amazing how you can go to the inner harbor, harbor east and its a completely different place. Not only there, you can go up hampden, canton, and few other places that are just booming with people, especially on friday and saturdays', but really any day. It also amazes me how much history they were able to retain despite their drug base and drug base past. Many of the well todo's move to the county or even further out. Where i live, it is very suburban. I see deer everyday, amazing trails, very heely, but i'm literally 5 miles from bmore city, if that. it changes over pretty quickly around here. I ride the metro into work everyday, I live 2 miles from the stop....

With that being said, I do miss home (Norfolk), wish they could take some good parts, be a little bolder  and expand their economic base past the military. Developments like this are good for a city like Norfolk and an area like HR that has a lot potential.  I think the crime has gotten a little out of hand, and although that comes with growth, I think city council really needs to make that a priority. Its hard to sell things to the public in good faith while crime seems ignored (true or not). Schools, I'm different than most. I think they are a product of its environment.  I do think Norfolk despite the developments is in a keep pace mode. I think we are all looking for them to reach out and do something daring. Ft Norfolk as I said before is my new Jewel of hope.

2016 was a great year for building permits in Norfolk: http://pilotonline.com/business/biz-buzz/in-norfolk-was-a-banner-year-for-residential-building-city/article_2674cc85-7106-56aa-95af-951f710470fd.html

Norfolk appears to have set a new record for residential building permits – at least since 2000, which is as far back as the city’s planning staff has looked.

An annual internal report, which will be completed soon and sent to the City Council, found that 1,435 new dwelling units received permits in 2016, said city planner Jeremy Sharp, who described it as a “banner year” for residential building.

By comparison, the average over the past five years was 824, he said.

With about 260 units demolished – a rate Sharp describes as “normal” – that’s a net of 1,175 more “homes” (mostly additional apartments) in Norfolk. Staffers believe the uptick is a mark of economic recovery.

The city also saw a rise in planning and zoning applications. Norfolk received 212 applications in 2016, compared with an average of 169 over the past decade, Sharp said.

The type the Planning Commission saw the most: those dubbed “special exception” applications.

The title is somewhat of a misnomer, as it merely refers to proposed property uses that trigger a public hearing and more intense review. Of the 2016 requests, 133 were special exception applications.

The majority sought permission for handling alcohol and entertainment establishments.

– Elisha Sauers, The Pilot

The wife, kiddo and I were up in Norfolk Saturday and had the pleasure to walk around downtown a bit. It was beautiful weather and fairly lively down on the streets. Must have been some type of function down there because there were a lot of young folks (teens) walking around. Quite a few of the restaurants had good crowds and we ate at one we had never been to. The food was great, even though just sandwiches.

The Hilton is beautiful and really adds some height and density.

The vibe on Granby Street was cool, but still not as vibrant as say Asheville or Charleston, etc. I suspect in the summer it is much busier or perhaps later in the evening.

I think Norfolk needs to look into adding a few smaller or "pocket" parks around downtown. They encourage people to get out more and congregate a little. I'm not talking major, but if there is a lot or intersection or some small quirky area that needs something, small parks (i.e. grass) should be considered.

The variety of restaurants was great (especially if you live in a small place). Retail seemed to be lacking on the streets. There is some, of course, but seemed a little lacking.

I should have taken some photos but didn't.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:10 AM, carolinaboy said:

The wife, kiddo and I were up in Norfolk Saturday and had the pleasure to walk around downtown a bit. It was beautiful weather and fairly lively down on the streets. Must have been some type of function down there because there were a lot of young folks (teens) walking around. Quite a few of the restaurants had good crowds and we ate at one we had never been to. The food was great, even though just sandwiches.

The Hilton is beautiful and really adds some height and density.

The vibe on Granby Street was cool, but still not as vibrant as say Asheville or Charleston, etc. I suspect in the summer it is much busier or perhaps later in the evening.

I think Norfolk needs to look into adding a few smaller or "pocket" parks around downtown. They encourage people to get out more and congregate a little. I'm not talking major, but if there is a lot or intersection or some small quirky area that needs something, small parks (i.e. grass) should be considered.

The variety of restaurants was great (especially if you live in a small place). Retail seemed to be lacking on the streets. There is some, of course, but seemed a little lacking.

I should have taken some photos but didn't.

I was there on Saturday, too, with my nephew having lunch. We noticed the uptick in pedestrian activity. The City does put up parklets from April to November on Granby and a couple other areas in downtown.

Another new business is set to open on Granby. Finally seeing some positive use of this property.

http://southsidedaily.com/2017/02/21/house-of-maya-bridal-salons-is-moving-to-downtown-norfolk/

VIRGINIA BEACH – House of Maya Bridal Salons announced on Tuesday that their Pure English Couture Bridal, Silk Social Occasion Studio, Maya Couture and Maya Couture on Main will merge into one storefront.

Set to open on March 1, the new store will be located in downtown Norfolk at 258 Granby St., owner Maya Holihan said in a news release.

The 13,000-square-foot retail space will combine the House of Maya headquarters and corporate offices on the second floor, allowing for a “more streamlined and efficient operation, increased accessibility for customers, and collaborative opportunities with downtown area businesses, institutions and organizations.”