Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

2 hours ago, BFG said:

I see they tore down the old Uptown Buffet (former Chi-Chi’s) on Military Hwy. and are doing some site work there. Anyone know what they’re putting there?

A732AFFC-4926-4227-A734-2B8AB5B7884B.png

6CD11E21-A2E1-444D-B96B-74B8EAA199E4.png

Aldi

Edit: posted this right as you responded to yourself. 

Edited by 23320
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BFG said:

I see they tore down the old Uptown Buffet (former Chi-Chi’s) on Military Hwy. and are doing some site work there. Anyone know what they’re putting there?

Never mind. Looks like an Aldi is going there.

https://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4493?fileID=9182

And it also looks like 23320 and I posted at the same time. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

All this talk about Fort Norfolk (Atlantic City) recently got me curious about the big empty lot on the river at the very end of Colley, 701 Front Street according to the map. I assumed it was owned by the city because it's used for Harborfest and Opsail to dock ships, but Norfolk Air cites a private company as its owner (Harbor Point Investors). This is the key lot to the whole neighborhood, and 701 is big enough to be a mini neighborhood in itself.  I keep thinking of the Wharf in DC when I look at Fort Norfolk and this lot for some reason. Anyone know of any scrapped plans for 701?

It’s owned by the McLeskeys & they are notoriously slow. The property is briefly mentioned in this article although it’s just a passing mention but it gives an idea of their willingness to wait. 

MarketSquare Redevelopment  - Virginian Pilot

https://www.citylab.com/solutions/2019/06/alphabet-sidewalk-labs-toronto-quayside-smart-city-google/592453/?utm_campaign=citylab&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_term=2019-06-25T16%3A06%3A32&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR07Q-XlLQv-8LXEPAz3o1bX544bhx2sNmeiAtdUw67xXm8Rd6kFz2YqoRU

Something like this would look good in Norfolk, or Portsmouth or Hampton for that matter. Doesn't have to be Google. It could be done on a smaller scale in Fort Norfolk or the land around the BErkley Bridge and Harbor Park. 

Norfolk is looking for another city manager, for the third time in as many years. While the outgoing manager going to the economic development office is a good thing, it seems like the city manager position is becoming a stepping stone to other jobs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_e9deeb72-98dc-11e9-a5ba-8ff56f0b806e.amp.html

• 4 weeks later...

Military Circle is slowly coming back to life with the addition of a burger joint popular in Portsmouth and now a Woman's skin care product store. One small business at a time may revive Military Circle maybe not to its former glory but it could make it viable again.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/small-business/article_35ba6aea-a962-11e9-8c81-8b16e7443a4d.html

Here is the Gourmet Burger place opening in Military Circle:

https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/restaurants/article_def26b54-7810-11e9-a640-83b58f0abd8b.html

Edited by EJ_LEWIS

4 hours ago, vdogg said:

This may sound bad but I was actually kind of hoping Military Circle would die so we can move on to better things. That whole area is ripe for redevelopment.

We have waayy, too many malls. We can afford to lose a few of them. There are so many things that would be better military circle than a mall.

4 hours ago, vdogg said:

This may sound bad but I was actually kind of hoping Military Circle would die so we can move on to better things. That whole area is ripe for redevelopment.

Agreed. I don't think a few new restaurants will save the place, but it does give a couple more options to the Movement and Optima people. If Norfolk wants to redevelop a mall, go for MacArthur and turn Military into mixed-use or an arena site.

• Like 2

There is no movement in Norfolk to redevelop Military Circle into a mixed use town center.  For now there is the mall.  The opening of two new small businesses in the mall points to the life that is still in Military Circle.  This is a good development.  Now that being said I would be really pleased if the city would start planning to make Military Circle into a walkable mixed use town center.  

1 hour ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

There is no movement in Norfolk to redevelop Military Circle into a mixed use town center.  For now there is the mall.  The opening of two new small businesses in the mall points to the life that is still in Military Circle.  This is a good development.  Now that being said I would be really pleased if the city would start planning to make Military Circle into a walkable mixed use town center.  

I believe that is the long range plan for military circle. But one of the key steps to that is getting the Tide extended there and who knows how long that will take. Or if it will ever happen.

• Like 1

First things first, I'm sorry for your loss.

It's always great to read accounts from someone visiting the area, and noticing the changes. I've been saying for a while, here and offline, that the next few years could really see Norfolk taking things to the next level. Even today compared to five years ago seems like a night and day difference.

• Like 1

Not sure how old many of you all are but in the early 90's DT and Norfolk in general was a scary place to be any time of day. Homeless people and addicts everywhere DT and prostitutes on Church. East Oceanview was a wasteland occupied by hookers and crack houses all over. 

So yeah....Norfolk has came a very, very long way from those days. It still has its issues...like any city but I agree its night and day. 

• Like 2

Larry “Chip” Filer to become Norfolk’s new city manager. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_f1a882a0-b48e-11e9-a171-9f700057dd50.html

This is a great move, IMO. When he gives his outlook on the region, he is frank and realistic about where our city and region lags. With him in that position, and the outgoing manager heading the area economic development office, I could see them both pushing for more jobs and working together as a region. Chip has been very critical of our inability to do both. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, BFG said:

Norfolk is looking for another city manager, for the third time in as many years. While the outgoing manager going to the economic development office is a good thing, it seems like the city manager position is becoming a stepping stone to other jobs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_e9deeb72-98dc-11e9-a5ba-8ff56f0b806e.amp.html

Norfolk has named Chip Filer, ODU economics professor and Associate VP of Entrepreneurship and Economic Development, and as the new city manager;

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_f1a882a0-b48e-11e9-a171-9f700057dd50.html

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 1

The Pilot says one of his top priorities is getting SPQ off the ground. I don’t know how much of that area is set in stone, but I do wonder if he will try and get more businesses over there and make that a true extension of downtown?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BFG said:

The Pilot says one of his top priorities is getting SPQ off the ground. I don’t know how much of that area is set in stone, but I do wonder if he will try and get more businesses over there and make that a true extension of downtown?

I hope so. I know the mayor sees SPQ as a key project since it will get a big chunk of Norfolk back on the tax rolls. And getting more businesses in there would help in that regard.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 12:11 PM, BFG said:

Anything short of this would be disappointing if you ask me. In fact, I've said this before, but I disagree with the Tidewater Garden's plan, the residential component as it stands. Keep in mind if this says anything, but Norfolk Southern relocated, we are down a fortune 500 (regardless if we knew it was coming or not). People in the area for decades talked about the area's dependency on the Navy and Government and now I think it's time to attract other companies, life adjacent to the Navy. i'm very disappointed they didn't or tried to bring Dollar tree HQ downtown. I was happy about ADP, but we need more acquisitions in the city like that. They need not to think about that retro and be more active now about planing that. SPQ is HUGE when you think about it from a land mass perspective, no reason why most can't be slated to attract those kinds of businesses and squeeze in your original plan within that area. I just think it is shortsighted, especially considering how long this has went on. We are now at that point were we just want something different other than what is there, and not a way to build Norfolk and the region strategically.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Virginia City said:

Both Stihl and Maersk have their US headquarters in the area. The city should see if they can move some of their offices downtown. Personally I think the orange Stihl logo would look good on the top of that newly empty green office building.

You mean, the orange Stihl logo would look great on a new tower in Virginia Beach.  :-)

They are actually building a new HQ building on their property now.  It seems they like to keep their management and manufacturing facilities close. 

• Like 1