Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

15 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

Norfolk can not just tear down MacArthur Mall unilaterally. They would first have to plunk down a big chunk of money to purchase it.

The same should also be said for Military Circle. Getting these properties under a single owner (whether the city or a developer) would be complicated, expensive and unlikely. 

19 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

With the number of stores that have left plus an empty Nordstroms plus the $750,000,000 debt, the mixed use component will never happen on the empty lot. It is dead.

The mall appears to be morphing into an experience center and I would not count them out yet.  If Starwood wants to make sure their investment is successful they will continue to explore the mixed use option. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BFG said:

Time for me to overreact and read too much into the Development office’s IG post... :P

93B7F08A-7CF6-4254-BC29-86B2B1BA0442.jpeg

Medical School/Center expansion? Considering everything is basically already under construction, this would be something new in addition to that...

• Like 1

Apparently Richmond's Navy Hill project, which included a new arena and tower for CoStar (commercial real estate company), is in jeopardy. The latter would bring 3,000 jobs. If Richmond doesn't make this happen, I hope Hampton Roads makes a pitch...3,000 jobs in downtown Norfolk would be amazing.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/118142-new-richmond-arena/page/37/?tab=comments#comment-1665643

"I would stress that we will always have a very significant commitment to Richmond. The question is we can’t grow in the building we are in now so we need to move for growth and the question is where does that growth occur," Florence said.

"We are focused on Richmond but looking at other areas," he said. "We are looking for a place that can handle 3,000-plus people. We have to get going on this ... either in Richmond, or Henrico or Northern Virginia or D.C. or wherever."

42 minutes ago, BFG said:

Apparently Richmond's Navy Hill project, which included a new arena and tower for CoStar (commercial real estate company), is in jeopardy. The latter would bring 3,000 jobs. If Richmond doesn't make this happen, I hope Hampton Roads makes a pitch...3,000 jobs in downtown Norfolk would be amazing.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/118142-new-richmond-arena/page/37/?tab=comments#comment-1665643

"I would stress that we will always have a very significant commitment to Richmond. The question is we can’t grow in the building we are in now so we need to move for growth and the question is where does that growth occur," Florence said.

"We are focused on Richmond but looking at other areas," he said. "We are looking for a place that can handle 3,000-plus people. We have to get going on this ... either in Richmond, or Henrico or Northern Virginia or D.C. or wherever."

Really doesn’t sound like our area is even on the radar screen though. They seem to already have a back up plan to go somewhere in NoVA. On a sidenote, Richmond needs to get rid of every single councilmember if they really just let 3000+ jobs and a corporate headquarters slip through their hands so easily.

• Like 3

On 2/5/2020 at 6:27 PM, BFG said:

Would have been nice to plot them down right in SPQ..... just saying... Only if it were just that easy....

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it's an economic move, but this is a terrible decision. First of all, the Peninsula has a newspaper. It's called the Daily Press (also owned by Tribune). Just because the DP and the Pilot share owners doesn't mean they need to share one roof. This move completely shuts out the Southside, which now doesn't have much of a voice when it comes to Breaking News or community issues. Again, I know Tribune wanted to save money, but I have a hard time believing they couldn't find enough office space in South Hampton Roads, including the production plant off Greenwich Road.

Having worked in journalism, I hate that bean counting and SEO has killed good story telling.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I have lived in Norfolk for all but a couple of my 57 years, and those I spent in VB. When I was a kid I had a Ledger-Star evening route and a VP Sunday route. That was back when the paper was wide, and heavy, and actually had some currency in the world. At this point in time newspapers have been relegated to being almost meaningless. Since I don’t have cable TV I get most of my breaking news from twitter.  Most people have no use for newspapers because they are slow to cover stories compared to other media, and the one advantage they hold, the ability to cover stories more in-depth is just no longer appreciated by our “TLDR” culture. Sad to say, but we have devolved to the point that newspapers are no longer valued or needed, therefore having a newspaper publisher actually physically located on the southside holds no particular status in my eyes.

I don't give a damn about the 'prestige' of having a newspaper. But I will tell you that we will see less journalism in the Southside, and that journalism will be of a lower quality. Having your home office be across the water from your beat in this area means you're either having to commute across one of the bridge-tunnels or that you will essentially be home office-ing. This is extremely inconvenient and will push good journalists away from our area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic_Tern said:

I don't give a damn about the 'prestige' of having a newspaper. But I will tell you that we will see less journalism in the Southside, and that journalism will be of a lower quality. Having your home office be across the water from your beat in this area means you're either having to commute across one of the bridge-tunnels or that you will essentially be home office-ing. This is extremely inconvenient and will push good journalists away from our area. 

Don't most of these reporters work remotely at this point? And if not, why not? They only really need an office for their sales team and printing.

2 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

This is a bad move by Tribune.  Norfolk is the center of the area and the areas leading Newspaper needs to remain housed in Downtown Norfolk.  

Just goes to show how much the owners in Chicago don't understand Hampton Roads...

• Like 1

Every now and then I like to check up on where I came from (grew up in Michigan, Kalamazoo to be exact), and Grand Rapids was one of the larger cities in our region. I came across an article about a recently proposed development, and as much as we like to complain about our projects getting chopped down in height, I think if this happened to us the forum would go nuclear! Dear Lord! :lol:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2018/06/plans_for_42-story_building_downtown_gr.html

GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- A developer has dramatically changed plans for what would have been the tallest building in Grand Rapids.

Instead of a 42-story tower at 10 Ionia NW, the Hinman Company has now drafted plans for a 13-story building at the site, according to public filings with the city's Historic Preservation Commission. 

Oh, the curse words that would come out of my mouth...:rofl:

• Sad 1