Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

On 2/24/2020 at 10:35 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

Not sure this will do any good but I'm glad they said something.

Between this and the arena, I really wish the three mayors would agree to become one city. I know, beating a dead horse, but I can dream, can't I?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, urbanlife said:

Or at least establish a Metro Government that takes care of metro issues.

I think this is what they did in Minneapolis, but like someone else mentioned, the state laws may hinder that. One large county with each city maintaining independent bodies does seem like an interesting concept. "Tidewater County" has a nice ring to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Up2313 said:

Maybe the same thing as a metro government, but why not something like the European Union where municipalities can join together if they want and pay into certain things that would boost the entire region such as regional transportation and infrastructure. 

We already have an alphabet soup of regional authorities for exactly these purposes. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 23320 said:

We already have an alphabet soup of regional authorities for exactly these purposes. 

We wouldn’t need all of these regional authorities under a county system. All those would be rolled into the authority given to a single county government. We made a big mistake allowing the proliferation of all of these independent cities. It fractured the political power that is usually afforded to a single region and Balkanized the area with respect to cooperation between different municipalities.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vdogg said:

We wouldn’t need all of these regional authorities under a county system. All those would be rolled into the authority given to a single county government. We made a big mistake allowing the proliferation of all of these independent cities. It fractured the political power that is usually afforded a single region and Balkanized the area with respect to cooperation between different municipalities.

I agree that the formation of Chesapeake/Virginia Beach/Suffolk was a mistake but it’s unlikely that Norfolk and Portsmouth would have absorbed all of these areas, so there would likely still be a need for a number of these organizations, especially for infrastructure - which is what the original comment was calling for. Regional organizations for infrastructure are pretty typical across the country. 

I’m all for some kind of mega-county under a traditional city-county format. 

The last thing you guys need is another layer of governmental bureaucracy. If there were a "county" incorporating say Norfolk, VA Beach and Chesapeake wouldn't that county have to levy taxes to operate (in addition to the taxes levied by the "cities" that make-up the county)? Certainly that would be a non-starter for most people.

I don't think the answer to "regional cooperation" is to create another/additional government to force/mandate it. I think the answer to "regional cooperation" is for the existing cities to coordinate with each other on major initiatives that have regional implications and support them if they can (as opposed to cock-blocking them). This however depends on politics, which we have seen doesn't always mean cooperation or support.

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

The last thing you guys need is another layer of governmental bureaucracy. If there were a "county" incorporating say Norfolk, VA Beach and Chesapeake wouldn't that county have to levy taxes to operate (in addition to the taxes levied by the "cities" that make-up the county)? Certainly that would be a non-starter for most people.

I don't think the answer to "regional cooperation" is to create another/additional government to force/mandate it. I think the answer to "regional cooperation" is for the existing cities to coordinate with each other on major initiatives that have regional implications and support them if they can (as opposed to cock-blocking them). This however depends on politics, which we have seen doesn't always mean cooperation or support.

I do not see why another tax would be needed.   A lot of services currently managed independently by the cities would be combined and more efficiency managed by the county.  How current taxes are distributed would need to change.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I do not see why another tax would be needed.   A lot of services currently managed independently by the cities would be combined and more efficiency managed by the county.  How current taxes are distributed would need to change.

In North Carolina if you live in a city or town you pay taxes to both the city/town and the county. If you do not live in an incorporated city or town you only pay taxes to the county. It would seem to me (unless Virginia is different) that if you live in the city of Norfolk which is in X County you would pay taxes to the city and the county. Of course, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

You would pay taxes for both but the total taxes would end up being about the same as now. This would be due to services currently handled at the city level would be handled at the county level.

I'm not arguing, and you may be right. I used to live in a city in NC. Now I live out in the county. When I lived in the city my taxes were nearly double (because I paid city and county tax). That may be partially due to the city rate may have been higher. The point I'm trying to make is when I lived in the city I paid tax for city Police and County Sheriff. Now that I live in the county I only pay for Sheriff.  Don't assume all services would be equitably split by a city and county. Each entity would levy taxes to cover their expenses.

The city/county model will never happen because of the way the whole state is set up. This isn't an isolated thing like St. Louis being an independent city while the rest of the state uses the city/county model. The amount of restructuring statewide to change makes this option a non starter and there is really no reason to continue talking about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Elon Musk is looking for factory sites for his truck and the Model Y. What's the old Ford plant being used for? Could Norfolk be a possibility?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-factory-search-model-y-plant/?wc_mid=4035:18671&wc_rid=4035:35072911&_wcsid=1F4FFDB50D821E7D44A2F56AAF617939093E60917C2181CD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

Elon Musk is looking for factory sites for his truck and the Model Y. What's the old Ford plant being used for? Could Norfolk be a possibility?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-factory-search-model-y-plant/?wc_mid=4035:18671&wc_rid=4035:35072911&_wcsid=1F4FFDB50D821E7D44A2F56AAF617939093E60917C2181CD

The Ford site has been chopped up. A logistics/trucking company purchased the main building along Indian River and everything else was demolished. The waterfront portion was sold to a local company last year. 

Article provides a good summary

• Like 1

Have the other dealers relaxed on trying to stop Tesla from selling in VA? There was some controversy surrounding that a few years ago, and I think it would be ironic to have a factory in a state that was trying to shut you out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...