Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

"Of the $250 million Hampton Roads Ventures had invested by the end of 2019, the last year federal records are complete, only $35.2 million was in Norfolk. Meanwhile, the housing authority’s subsidiary has funded projects in at least 15 states and the District of Columbia — grocery stores, health clinics, senior housing, a cotton mill, an aluminum plant and a hair gel company — everywhere, it seems, but Norfolk"

^^^I need to stop reading. This is burning me up and I shouldn't be mad on Christmas Day. :lol:

29 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Gravity 400 is underway. Also stop moving my messages into the gravity 400 post. 

We have a construction thread for a reason. I will move related posts to their corresponding threads as I see fit. Any further questions I would suggest taking it up via PM.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Theres no development. The city is flat lined and im not sure if we can climb out of it with the other cities fighting a popularity war. 

I wouldn’t say the city has flatlined, we are just in uncertain times with the only certain thing being residential demand. The issue with Norfolk  currently is we don’t have a fraim to use pull and promote us a major city with political connections. Putting my political opinion upfront I am a democrat but Norfolk and it’s council spend all of their council meetings on social welfare programs, bike lanes, reducing speed limits, putting nimbys first and saying no to positive developments. There needs to be a balance with some seeking economic growth.

current mayor is a joke has no follow through with projects or vision. 

I could be wrong though I’m biased 

Sude note I found this comedy skit set in Downtown Norfolk to change the mood 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not really sure where to put this but here seems it may be appropriate. 

The City of Norfolk is allowing people to volunteer for over 50 boards and commissions. Just pick one, to include the architectural review board, here https://norfolkva.granicus.com/boards/w/1e48a2452d0878d9/boards/  and submit your application.

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Wow the talk around adding a midtown to norfolk is really picking up. Fort Norfolk area can count but I think having midtown behind downtown is more appropriate, 

Given how they've repurposed parts of Park Place as the Railyard District, this doesn't surprise me. I think a revitalization of Riverview and 35th St. needs to be part of the plans as well.

• Like 1

Norfolk should really be looking into extending light rail to this midtown area. That would be a great way to connect midtown and downtown together, and pump a big investment into the area. Also by allowing it to be a real midtown by allowing taller buildings and requiring an urban landscape over suburban style developments is important.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, urbanlife said:

Norfolk should really be looking into extending light rail to this midtown area. That would be a great way to connect midtown and downtown together, and pump a big investment into the area. Also by allowing it to be a real midtown by allowing taller buildings and requiring an urban landscape over suburban style developments is important.

If only the Granby streetcar tracks still existed. I think the city covered those up with the medians, so unless it's trees there, I guess you could re-replace them with a light rail line?

42 minutes ago, BFG said:

If only the Granby streetcar tracks still existed. I think the city covered those up with the medians, so unless it's trees there, I guess you could re-replace them with a light rail line?

I so wish American cities wouldn't have gotten rid of their streetcar systems. Norfolk should definitely be focusing on expanding their light rail system for themselves. Having a second line run from Midtown through downtown to Military Circle and end at the airport would be a great line to add to the system. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I so wish American cities wouldn't have gotten rid of their streetcar systems. Norfolk should definitely be focusing on expanding their light rail system for themselves. Having a second line run from Midtown through downtown to Military Circle and end at the airport would be a great line to add to the system. 

That being said, The airport would be crucial to connect to the light rail system. But they are holding back  because the rail is not preforming well enough to their standards. Though that confuses me because they should know that the current line does not serve where everyone may need to go. One line with a few stops isint going to attract everyone. 

Oh nice we got a fresh new page.

• Like 1