Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

28 minutes ago, BFG said:

Good question. I was there about a month ago and think a Mexican spot took over, but I might be thinking of the Ruby Tuesday.

Yea Las Palmas has been in the old Ruby Tuesday for a few years I believe. Unos was still empty when I last went to the mall around Christmas. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Norf Native said:

Regarding Texas de Brazil, I think they are just using the recent shootings downtown as a reason to break their lease at the mall.  Crime is up nationwide (not just in Norfolk) and everyone knows that malls are dying, even Greenbriar is predicted to close in the coming years.  They were looking for a way out.  My $0.2...They'll head to the suburbs somewhere.  

That’s a convenient explanation. Totally absolves the mayor and city council and the police department of their sworn, solemn duty to protect the citizens of Norfolk and to address this situation head-on with real leadership.  By the way,  violent crime is not up in Virginia Beach. 

11 hours ago, HRVA said:

My guess is Lynnhaven Mall. Is the old Unos still empty?

Empty, yes. Possibly too small for TDB. 6,000 sf there vs 7500 sf at MacArthur. Also, the visibility sucks. Cooper’s Hawk opted to put a large restaurant out front on the Lynnhaven Parkway side, as did Panera.

Edited by baobabs727

6 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

That’s a convenient explanation. Totally absolves the mayor and city council and the police department of their sworn, solemn duty to protect the citizens of Norfolk and to address this situation head-on with real leadership.  By the way,  violent crime is not up in Virginia Beach. 

Empty, yes. Possibly too small for TDB. 6,000 sf there vs 7500 sf at MacArthur. Also, the visibility sucks. Cooper’s Hawk opted to put a large restaurant out front on the Lynnhaven Parkway side, as did Panera.

I would agree the city leadership should not get a pass on recent crime hikes, regardless if it is up country wide. That just means everyone is doing a poor job if you ask me and really need to look at addressing it in a real way.

But I will say the reason for TDB moving is very very sketchy. How often have you heard a business public say something like that, something that really didn't affect them directly directly. No one was running up in TDB committing crimes. I'm not sure I buy it, it would have made more sense for me if they just packed up and moved like all the other businesses.

42 minutes ago, brikkman said:

I would agree the city leadership should not get a pass on recent crime hikes, regardless if it is up country wide. That just means everyone is doing a poor job if you ask me and really need to look at addressing it in a real way.

But I will say the reason for TDB moving is very very sketchy. How often have you heard a business public say something like that, something that really didn't affect them directly directly. No one was running up in TDB committing crimes. I'm not sure I buy it, it would have made more sense for me if they just packed up and moved like all the other businesses.

Do we even know the amount of business they have been getting at MacArthur mall? It could be that they are not getting the business that they think they should are underperforming to corporate standards

1 hour ago, Norva757 said:

Do we even know the amount of business they have been getting at MacArthur mall? It could be that they are not getting the business that they think they should are underperforming to corporate standards

No, I do not personally, but I also was not implying they did not need to move. I was more so speaking on the reasoning and the way they announced it. For all we know, this may be a way to get out a lease, who knows. They also could simply see the writing on the wall with the location. I 100% think it is a business decision, but the way they announced it and the excuse, yeah just not buying that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brikkman said:

You mean they should just go quietly into that good night...instead of speaking truth to power?  Why?  Well, that would have been the conventional, politically-correct, P.R. agency-approved thing to do, I suppose. But didn't they owe it to their customers and employees to explain their abrupt decision and to provide contextual testimony of their intent to continue to serve and employ them, respectively, elsewhere in the 757?  They have every right to say what they said, and do what they did, and, actually, I respect them for it.  I mean, though I doubt you're right in your assertion that the announcement was simply cover for some other motive for leaving, that does remain a possibility.  However, the fact remains that one cannot deny the strong uptick in violent crime in Downtown.

5 hours ago, Norva757 said:

I have no proof or sales tax data, but by all anecdotal accounts, they were usually busy when you'd expect them to be so.

Edited by baobabs727

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/lamberts-point-docks-in-norfolk-to-become-100m-maritime-center/

“In a deal predicted to bring more than 500 jobs and over $100 million in capital investment, the Lambert’s Point Docks property in Norfolk will become a maritime operations and logistics center to support local offshore wind, defense and transportation industries.”

“This innovative redevelopment of Lambert’s Point Docks will make Hampton Roads a significant hub for the offshore wind industry. It will attract new businesses and serve existing ones in the region. We are pleased the facility will support current tenants, rail operations and the needs of industrial shippers,” said Kathleen Smith, vice president of business development and real estate at Norfolk Southern.”

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, varider said:

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/lamberts-point-docks-in-norfolk-to-become-100m-maritime-center/

“In a deal predicted to bring more than 500 jobs and over $100 million in capital investment, the Lambert’s Point Docks property in Norfolk will become a maritime operations and logistics center to support local offshore wind, defense and transportation industries.”

“This innovative redevelopment of Lambert’s Point Docks will make Hampton Roads a significant hub for the offshore wind industry. It will attract new businesses and serve existing ones in the region. We are pleased the facility will support current tenants, rail operations and the needs of industrial shippers,” said Kathleen Smith, vice president of business development and real estate at Norfolk Southern.”

Great to see Norfolk maximizing its great industrial assets.  Isn't this part of Norfolk's Innovation Corridor?

• Like 1

Saw this amazing meme, How do you pronounce it? I personally pronounce it ´ŃahFuk´.  It seems only outsiders away from the Norfolk Metro only pronounce it ´Nor-foLk´

EYL6XIBO2RHHZCTBBVLZ5NFT4M.thumb.jpg.3fc77f9ff5d1750acfe41591b4a7b5b8.jpg\

https://www.pilotonline.com/life/vp-nw-how-to-pronounce-norfolk-20191004-kh3m7rarkrgbfjnew3sispk5wu-story.html

I really do get bugged when they say it as Nor-foLk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Saw this amazing meme, How do you pronounce it? I personally pronounce it ´ŃahFuk´.  It seems only outsiders away from the Norfolk Metro only pronounce it ´Nor-foLk´

EYL6XIBO2RHHZCTBBVLZ5NFT4M.thumb.jpg.3fc77f9ff5d1750acfe41591b4a7b5b8.jpg\

https://www.pilotonline.com/life/vp-nw-how-to-pronounce-norfolk-20191004-kh3m7rarkrgbfjnew3sispk5wu-story.html

I really do get bugged when they say it as Nor-foLk

My family came to Norfolk around 1900. Trust me, the only correct pronunciation is written on the dude doing the high kick.  Actually it’s a cross between Nah and Naw. Actually, I’m not a phonetics expert, I just know it when I hear it …and I can say it.  BUT there is definitely no NOR, and definitely no FIK. How’s that. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

My family came to Norfolk around 1900. Trust me, the only correct pronunciation is written on the dude doing the high kick.  Actually it’s a cross between Nah and Naw. Actually, I’m not a phonetics expert, I just know it when I hear it …and I can say it.  BUT there is definitely no NOR, and definitely no FIK. How’s that. 

Agreed, I guess we all agree, weather we pronounce it Nah-Fuk,  Nor-Fuk, Nor-Fik, or Nah-Fik that pronouncing the ´L´ in Norfolk is basically a local sin. Lol, Even the virginian pilot agreed. 

image.png.77e55a44a24b84bdbaa5b05ff66e4bcb.png

(From virginian pilot) 

• Haha 1

I've been telling people to say it like they're cussing for at least 20 years, and I'll say it for another 20. If you pronounce the "L" as my fiancee currently does I will not hesitate to look at you funny.

• Like 2

Just to tag on the different "Norfolk" pronunciations: 

This may be a culture within a culture, but Yock, who knows anything about it?

We all know every region is known for something throughout the united states, NY has its NY style pizza, Philly has cheesesteaks, New Orleans has Cajan (food varieties), Nashville (hot chicken), bmore has "crab-cakes (supposedly), so on and so on. Would Yock be the 757's culture food or is that too much of a culture within a culture? 

When I was a kid, my aunt would from time to time, sale "Yock" meals out her house. I'm just curious how many of us have actually heard about this? I for one grew up on it... When I moved to bmore, everyone talks about blue crab as if MD owns the cheapeake bay, but I'll be honest, in comparison the 757 does a crappy job at advertising blue crab.  When I think about culture food of the 757, the first thing that comes to mind is "Yock". I would be interested to know if you guys have another "757" culture/region food we would be known for?

https://www.southernfoodways.org/oral-history/a-box-of-virginia-yock/

In Tidewater Virginia, the southeastern region of the state that includes Norfolk, Suffolk, and Portsmouth, yock-a-mein is known as a box of yock. The name refers to the Chinese take-out box in which it’s served. It’s also simply called yock, but there are endless ways to spell the name of the dish.

Edited by brikkman

Yock is a staple in my family! Whenever my folks from Dallas and Maryland would come into town, we'd gather wherever and someone would cook a big pot of noodles, then some chicken (usually boiled, sometimes baked), diced onion, and hard-boiled eggs. One of my favorites, and I'd love to see that become nationally famous the same way people talk about Nashville Hot Chicken or Texas BBQ.

We're kinda known for peanuts, but not nearly as much as a place like Georgia. Maybe country ham?

1 hour ago, BFG said:

Yock is a staple in my family! Whenever my folks from Dallas and Maryland would come into town, we'd gather wherever and someone would cook a big pot of noodles, then some chicken (usually boiled, sometimes baked), diced onion, and hard-boiled eggs. One of my favorites, and I'd love to see that become nationally famous the same way people talk about Nashville Hot Chicken or Texas BBQ.

We're kinda known for peanuts, but not nearly as much as a place like Georgia. Maybe country ham?

I tried to get my youngest son hip to it, he hates it. Damn spoiled kids...lol

• Haha 1

I’m sure the “Chinese takeout box” further comes from the Japanese dish Yakisoba.  Yak=Yock.  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakisoba

In this region, I definitely think of crabs, soft shell, she crab soup, local clams and oysters, the local fish. The colonial era Peanut Soup, the Orange Crush from Waterman’s,  the Norfolk “snapdog”- locally created hotdog unique to this region  (it’s a dying creation).  

Mexican white sauce was created in Norfolk, Planter's peanuts was founded in Suffolk, Yock was 1st made in Portsmouth, Edwards and Smithfield ham, T.O Williams Virginia red sausages(Portsmouth), also alot of early American cuisine started with slave traditions. So alot of food has roots in and around this area we just aren't credited for it. Watch the video below, if I'm not mistaken he has other videos on YouTube explaining vinegar based BBQ, we're developed in Virginia and there are recipes quite old written by slaves. Btw I'm a chef so I know a lil bit about food lol. There is also a local dish called Crab Norfolk, don't know how known it is tho. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NFKfloodcaptain said:

There's no dedicated thread. Are there any renderings? It's probably fairly suburban if no one picked up on it yet and posted in here. I don't recall seeing anything come through planning though.