Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

2 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

A few months ago, I tried to point out how bad our crime rate is among other US cities. I was put down over it. 

I come back with reinforced arguments on it.  13 news, and other news outlets, which are very trusted sources in our area have stated and provided proof that our city is infact experiencing one of the worst crime rate hikes in the nation. Out of 50 Major US cities (Yes, they considered us a major city for once) Norfolk ranked 8th for the worst rising crime rates across the United States. 

This is a real big problem, how do we recover? .....if thats even possible.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/crime/norfolks-rising-homicide-rate-nations-8th-worst/291-756add9b-8775-4cdc-aa26-07b20d8c6649

I'm one of the few who believe what they have been doing and aim to do has not worked. But I find this to be true in most cities like ours.  Being "soft" on crime is more about tamping down stigma than actual results. What we always end up seeing is the same thing, reoffenders and more crime. One side would say its the police the other side says its the policies and again blah blah blah is how I view it. What is going on downtown is more so the relax feeling that it can be done while the other side focuses on the professionalism and historical ills of the police. One doesn't have anything to do with the other if you ask me, but people will argue you down.

To answer your question, it is possible, but society won't let what needs to be done, happen.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

I don't watch news programs or read news papers so I ask this question honestly. What is the stance of Norfolk City Council as it relates to the "defund the police" issue? 

They are not now nor have they ever been for such a thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

I don't watch news programs or read news papers so I ask this question honestly. What is the stance of Norfolk City Council as it relates to the "defund the police" issue? 

It does not seem like thats the reason behind our police department's failure to meet the needed amount of officers. Its either, they dont advertise enough, people dont care (which seems crazy to say but is more obvious when you take a look at the big picture), or we are just not funded enough as a city to maintain a good police force with equal pay, good training, and benefits. 

And it really shows, because our crime rate (as said before) is 8th worst on the rise in the United States among Major cities.  

3 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

It does not seem like thats the reason behind our police department's failure to meet the needed amount of officers. Its either, they dont advertise enough, people dont care (which seems crazy to say but is more obvious when you take a look at the big picture), or we are just not funded enough as a city to maintain a good police force with equal pay, good training, and benefits. 

And it really shows, because our crime rate (as said before) is 8th worst on the rise in the United States among Major cities.  

Technically, the news article you posted provides the homicide rate, not the crime rate.  The crime rate could be different.  I don't know if the article reporting on the homicide rate, not the crime rate, makes Norfolk look better or worse.

3 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

I know it's tempting to jump to conclusions about crime in a brief period but I would suggest taking a step back and look at the full picture. We have a major displacement of people occurring near downtown with the St Pauls re-development, the eviction moratorium ending, and the rise of homelessness due to Covid shutdowns. You can blame the police if you want, but they didn't displace those residents or take away those jobs.  Socio-economic factors and a loss of community arguably have a bigger impact on crime than anything a police department can or cannot do. Further, I would ask you to take a step back and look at the larger picture of the homicide and crime rates over time. We had seen a major drop in both consistently over the years from the early 90s and an increase was bound to happen at some point.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

I know it's tempting to jump to conclusions about crime in a brief period but I would suggest taking a step back and look at the full picture. We have a major displacement of people occurring near downtown with the St Pauls re-development, the eviction moratorium ending, and the rise of homelessness due to Covid shutdowns. You can blame the police if you want, but they didn't displace those residents or take away those jobs.  Socio-economic factors and a loss of community arguably have a bigger impact on crime than anything a police department can or cannot do. Further, I would ask you to take a step back and look at the larger picture of the homicide and crime rates over time. We had seen a major drop in both consistently over the years from the early 90s and an increase was bound to happen at some point.

Well, now my question is, when do you think this will stop? 

And whats an honest solution that can benefit most people, and the city as a whole?   

Also, I know we are not crime solving masterminds, im just looking for something that could work effectively......something that the city council is failing to see or do.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:36 AM, carolinaboy said:

Norfolk has increased the Police budget every year for the past 3 years, and the Police is the single biggest line item out of General Fund expenditures outside of Debt Service and Norfolk Public Schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

309162998_10158460162072030_8254808213114601064_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p403x403&_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=Y7KZNehQsT4AX8IRnSq&_nc_ht=scontent.forf1-3.fna&edm=AN6CN6oEAAAA&oh=00_AfDvk9Vpkd1s0TmidwzSpyCyPTmP4GcOz-Qpg8zuoGVJ3w&oe=6367B830

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/pharrell-williams-hannibal-buress-norfolk-pronounciation/291-1215253f-f7da-458e-8ced-95c12da5f17f

Pharrell is doing God's work out there, teaching people how to pronounce our city correctly :tw_sweat_smile:

Though,  I can argue that our generation tends to pronounce it "Nor-Fik" Or "Naw-Fik" 

The older generation says it more like "Naw-fuk" or "Nor-fuk"

The first lawsuit of probably several has been filed.

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-scotty-quixx-lawsuit-20221103-b4vin4ijy5e2dj5lsxqkfgaar4-story.html

"In their complaint and petition for appeal, the club owners accuse multiple city officials of making false or misleading statements that created a prejudice against them. They further allege that the city failed to follow its own policies by making a “draconian” decision in response to an alleged first offense when neither the Norfolk Commissioner of the Revenue nor the ABC found the club in violation."

What is really going on here is that the City and City Council are targeting all nightlife bars and restaurants in the Downtown Norfolk area and searching for any technical noncompliance to use as a pretext to enable them to act on their misguided animus and stereotypes against businesses like Scotty Quixx and their clienteles,” the complaint reads."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vdogg said:

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-scotty-quixx-lawsuit-20221103-b4vin4ijy5e2dj5lsxqkfgaar4-story.html

"In their complaint and petition for appeal, the club owners accuse multiple city officials of making false or misleading statements that created a prejudice against them. They further allege that the city failed to follow its own policies by making a “draconian” decision in response to an alleged first offense when neither the Norfolk Commissioner of the Revenue nor the ABC found the club in violation."

What is really going on here is that the City and City Council are targeting all nightlife bars and restaurants in the Downtown Norfolk area and searching for any technical noncompliance to use as a pretext to enable them to act on their misguided animus and stereotypes against businesses like Scotty Quixx and their clienteles,” the complaint reads."

I hope the city is on the losing side of this lawsuit.  This may push them to make changes to their heavy handed approach to dealing with noncompliance violations of bars and restaurants Downtown.  Did the city talk with the bar and restaurant owners before they shut them down?  Did they give them a chance to get back into compliance?  

Edited by EJ_LEWIS
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, vdogg said:

Lawsuit=Total hogwash.  A smokescreen. “Best defense is a good offense,” eh?

There’s no pretext here. Only facts. The fact that crime is more likely to happen at night, where lots of young people gather to drink, should be of no surprise to anyone. 

9 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

There’s no pretext here. Only facts. The fact that crime is more likely to happen at night, where lots of young people gather to drink, should be of no surprise to anyone. 

Crime happens everywhere. We don't shutdown all nightlife out of fear, and we certainly don't shutdown businesses over clerical errors when they have not been involved in the crime of which you speak. This is a city, with city problems. There are cities far larger than us with much worse crime that still manage to maintain a vibrant nightlife that doesn't require everyone to be home and in bed by 8. Real people operate these businesses and real people work for them. They all just lost their livelihoods because of Norfolk's BS. They have a right to try and recoup their losses. I fully support them, and I hope they win.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

Ok so shutdown permanently all establishments that operate after 8pm that serve liquor. 

Crime happens at Walmarts that's a fact. So we should shutdown Walmarts too. Shootings are happening at schools that's a fact. So we should shutdown all schools.  

OH, LOL! So you're gonna parse my words like that, huh.  OBVIOUSLY, I meant late at night...as in after Midnight...2am...and there are national statistics on this. Ask any cop and he'll/she'll tell you: "NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER 2AM."  And that is why you're more likely--you, me and everyone else--to be pulled over at that late hour. They're looking for something wrong because they know, based on experience, observation and statistics, that the probability of criminal activity is higher at that time of night. 

8 hours ago, vdogg said:

Crime happens everywhere. We don't shutdown all nightlife out of fear, and we certainly don't shutdown businesses over clerical errors when they have not been involved in the crime of which you speak. This is a city, with city problems. There are cities far larger than us with much worse crime that still manage to maintain a vibrant nightlife that doesn't require everyone to be home and in bed by 8. Real people operate these businesses and real people work for them. They all just lost their livelihoods because of Norfolk's BS. They have a right to try and recoup their losses. I fully support them, and I hope they win.

They have a right to appeal. That is called DUE PROCESS.  I take no sides in that proceeding. Obviously, ymmv.

On 11/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, baobabs727 said:

OH, LOL! So you're gonna parse my words like that, huh.  OBVIOUSLY, I meant late at night...as in after Midnight...2am...and there are national statistics on this. Ask any cop and he'll/she'll tell you: "NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER 2AM."  And that is why you're more likely--you, me and everyone else--to be pulled over at that late hour. They're looking for something wrong because they know, based on experience, observation and statistics, that the probability of criminal activity is higher at that time of night. 

They have a right to appeal. That is called DUE PROCESS.  I take no sides in that proceeding. Obviously, ymmv.

"take no sides" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you're hilarious. Your bias is obvious

On 11/3/2022 at 9:03 PM, baobabs727 said:

Hogwash? how so?

I don't even disagree with your statement about the "night", but to also say the lawsuit is hogwash is absurd at best.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, mintscraft56 said:

Did yall see that Pharrell commented on this issue? 

He is also against the city's decisions to hunt down downtown businesses. 

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/pharrell-weighs-in-on-norfolk-downtown-business-crackdown/291-fc7e189f-9e3a-4e8c-9499-a75403652ab5 

At this point I kind of hope they get their way to be honest. This city has history of bad decision making. close them up, stop fighting with them to make it a place folks want to come to and watch it turn into Granby street ala 70s....

They have no idea of what they are doing, its embarrassing. 

Did I miss something? Are there businesses clamoring to get to granby street these days? Maybe they know something we do not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brikkman said:

Hogwash? how so?

I don't even disagree with your statement about the "night", but to also say the lawsuit is hogwash is absurd at best.

At this point I kind of hope they get their way to be honest. This city has history of bad decision making. close them up, stop fighting with them to make it a place folks want to come to and watch it turn into Granby street ala 70s....

They have no idea of what they are doing, its embarrassing. 

Did I miss something? Are there businesses clamoring to get to granby street these days? Maybe they know something we do not.

LOL. So what, pray tell, is worse than "absurd?  :)  Yes, so thank you for the agreement. Seems obvious enough, right?  And yet somehow everyone else here seems to be living in a parallel universe. Either that, or they are adherents to the debate/discussion school of "never concede a single point." Something akin to the pro-choice/pro-life (or more fittingly, anti-choice/pro-abortion) wars of the past few decades. Zzz.... Wake me up when it's all over.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, BFG said:

The city is considering purchasing the old Soaps N Suds in OV to expand beach access. What happened to the plans for restaurants and/or a hotel in that area? 

https://www.pilotonline.com/government/local/vp-nw-council-laundromat-purchase-20221128-ayrvvek2mzh2hcu74qrn5un4fq-story.html

Let me guess they are going to replace the building with a parking lot to expand the underused Ocean View parking lot.   I see the city is still teardown crazy.  

• Sad 1