Norfolk Off-Topic

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came home for our family reunion this past weekend. First time in a long time I was able to drive around parts of Norfolk and I must say, Norfolk is looking good. I was surprised and shocked how much

Norfolk and Virginia Beach's CVBs have joined forces to promote both cities.  I love to see the state's largest and second largest cities that are joined at the hip cooperating with each other for a c

Ok, let's try this again. -No more coronavirus. That is not a topic that can be discussed rationally so we're done with that. -Steer clear of national/international politics. Do not discuss

Posted Images

2 hours ago, brikkman said:

I still believe the rents could be more affordable in DT. I would love to see a math of military vs non military living in DT.

I was talking about this with friends the other night. It annoys me that just about every building downtown starts at close to $1,000 for even a studio.

I get market demand and everything, but even just one building starting at a price closer to that of Ghent or elsewhere (maybe 1K for a 2 BR) in the city could do wonders. 

Another friend of mine lives in the Botetourt high rise in Freemason...which is about to become another Buddy Gadams property. 

On 5/11/2017 at 6:51 PM, vdogg said:

Seems like the apartment boom might not be slowing down anytime soon.

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/commercial-real-estate/favorable-business-climate-leads-to-gains-for-virginia-s-real/article_96bebe43-89e6-5a6b-bdc6-1902d83fae68.html

"Virginia’s residential real estate market saw substantial gains in the first quarter of 2017. During the first three months of the year, 22,859 residential transactions closed. That’s a 7.8 percent increase over the 21,213 units sold during the same period in 2016, according to the Virginia Realtors Association."

Fraley said Norfolk is the most popular market, followed by Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg and Portsmouth.

This is statewide folks. We may be closing in on another population boom.:)

While this is more about real estate in general, this is indicative of the population trends in the state, and thus the demand for all types of housing including apartments.

This article seems to be about home sales rather than leases. I would think strong home sales would be bad news for apartment development especially since multifamily thrived on people not being able to get the financing needed to buy. 

Also I feel like the writer got the wording wrong on the paragraph quoted above. Wouldn't it be Norfolk is the most popular market which includes…?  I find it hard to believe a NoVa county wouldn't make it somewhere on that list. 

Here's the actual report:

http://www.virginiarealtors.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Virginia-Home-Sales-Report.Q1.pdf

Edited by Brennen
Link

Friends and I are in downtown again tonight, and I just can't get enough of how 2 venues revitalized the ENTIRE area. Tons of people walking up and down Granby tonight and traffic coming in was heavy. I was a bit critical of how much money they invested in the Hilton, I thought Bruce should've paid more. That said, if foot traffic stays busy like this every weekend, they will recoup their investment in short order. 

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, vdogg said:

Friends and I are in downtown again tonight, and I just can't get enough of how 2 venues revitalized the ENTIRE area. Tons of people walking up and down Granby tonight and traffic coming in was heavy. I was a bit critical of how much money they invested in the Hilton, I thought Bruce should've paid more. That said, if foot traffic stays busy like this every weekend, they will recoup their investment in short order. 

I have to agree, I drove through downtown Sat night and there was definitely a lively vibe going on. Waterside was mobbed, the area surrounding the Main was hopping, and Granby street was buzzing. DT and TPP are going to be crazy Friday June 9th. Not only will there be the Harborfest parade of sail @ noon, but the Carnival Sunshine will be in port to embark on a 5 night cruise to the Bahamas and leaving @ 5pm. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Waterside District was absolutely packed, along with Townpoint Park & Granby Street. I didn't make it to The Main, but I'm sure it was crowded, as well.  Some friends of mine who came down on Saturday made the mistake of leaving by car around 10:30 PM to get back to the Beach. It took them an hour just to get on I-264.

• Like 1

I had friends in town from Indianapolis who used to live here. We started at Smartmouth over in Chelsea, then went to Waterside. They were very impressed, since Waterside was a ghost town the last time they were here. They thought the open food court idea was clever. 

It helped that the place was suddenly packed due to the surprise thunderstorm. 

• Like 2
Just now, BFG said:

The city is considering moving the Greyhound station elsewhere, possibly next to the Amtrak station at Harbor Park. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/norfolk-looks-to-move-the-greyhound-station-out-of-the/article_5a3aedf0-4454-5517-bf84-e1501e5e396c.html

It's a great idea to both centralize transit options and remove that hideous station from the NEON district.

• Like 2

I think that's a great spot for a skinny, all-glass tower of say, 25-30 stories. Mixed-use, with a small grocery store or retail component on the ground floor. Add in some small businesses that fit the feel of the NEON District. IMO, it would officially bridge the gap to officially make the NEON part of downtown.

• Like 3

Looking at Google Maps, I'm thinking the Greyhound lot itself might only be large enough for the tower, unless you build the garage on the first few floors, then the actual building above that. Otherwise, maybe buy the greasy spoon restaurant behind Greyhound, and expand the lot down Monticello. I don't even know if anything is in that building now.

Comparing to other buildings downtown, you could probably fit the Wells Fargo tower on the lot.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 9.28.19 PM.png

• Like 2

I doubt seriously that any tower will go there. Let's be honest here, folks. It's on the wrong side of Brambleton, and no matter how you slice it, it ain't downtown, and never will be downtown. Those 6 lanes of Hell you have to cross to get to downtown will make sure of that.That part of town has its own character, and i think that keeping the station as is is the way to go. There's already 20-30 parking spaces there, some covered. Make some sort of farmer's market or maybe another "business incubator" like they are planning for Selden Arcade. And rent out the restaurant part to some enterprising restaurateur.  

I do agree that the Greyhound station should be in Harbor Park, perhaps in an expansion of the Amtrak station, maybe even allow the Megabus to stop there too. Three services sharing a common seating area makes sense to me.

4 hours ago, jeffconn said:

I doubt seriously that any tower will go there. Let's be honest here, folks. It's on the wrong side of Brambleton, and no matter how you slice it, it ain't downtown, and never will be downtown. Those 6 lanes of Hell you have to cross to get to downtown will make sure of that.That part of town has its own character, and i think that keeping the station as is is the way to go. There's already 20-30 parking spaces there, some covered. Make some sort of farmer's market or maybe another "business incubator" like they are planning for Selden Arcade. And rent out the restaurant part to some enterprising restaurateur.  

I do agree that the Greyhound station should be in Harbor Park, perhaps in an expansion of the Amtrak station, maybe even allow the Megabus to stop there too. Three services sharing a common seating area makes sense to me.

There is no way that the city is going to move the bus station only to replace it with a farmer's market. This is a prime corner and a gateway property. It needs to produce mucho tax revenues. 

If it's not downtown, then what would you call it? Midtown? NEon? It's certainly downtown adjacent, at the very least,  and downtown proper is running out of suitable properties for high-rise construction. You said "never." I would never say "never."

• Like 1
  • vdogg locked this topic
  • vdogg unlocked this topic