Norfolk Off-Topic

vdogg

20 minutes ago, mikeas said:

Taking over the world...  Wonder if the one around the corner will stay too.  I think in this case I could actually throw a rock from here and hit the other store.

I doubt it will stay. When they built  a new one right around the corner from the original 7-11 @ Virginia Beach Courthouse, they closed the old one. Same thing happened @ Hilltop 35 some odd years ago as well.  I'm sure there are other examples.

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Helium3 said:

I gather that it's mostly because of the military, right? That's still really great news, but I'd love if Norfolk could diversify its economy to the point where we could attract large amounts of millennials for non-DOD-related jobs.

Agreed. I like what VB is doing with the biotech and fiberoptics jobs...Norfolk needs to look into getting more tech jobs along those lines, esp. if it could lead to another building downtown.

50 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

Norfolk ranked 4th in the nation for # of relocating millennials. Nearly 39 percent of all millennials entering Commonwealth of VA choose Norfolk.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/norfolk-ranks-th-in-top-cities-where-millennials-move/article_56a74aa1-7e1f-5bdb-ab9b-16fbde2b26f9.html

That is good news for Norfolk, hopefully the city pushes for things that millennials want because that is what Norfolk needs if they want to see the city become a popular urban destination. Also it helps that other places are becoming too expensive for millennials to live in, so they are beginning to look at cheaper cities, and it is important for Norfolk to be one of those better alternative options.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Helium3 said:

I gather that it's mostly because of the military, right? That's still really great news, but I'd love if Norfolk could diversify its economy to the point where we could attract large amounts of millennials for non-DOD-related jobs.

Good question.  Don't see any methodology.  Would be interesting to see the breakdown between men and women and compare that with the other cities. 

2 hours ago, urbanvb said:

Still, a good sign for younger people moving to the area. It's some positive news for an area that has had brain drain for years. 

Honestly...I've flirted with moving away several times over the last decade. ATL, DC, Charlotte, Dallas and LA were all on my list, but everyone goes to those places. Something kept me here.

It's not too late, but as I've started putting down roots here and there, I'm curious as to what's next for HR. The last decade has been good for us; it's not on Austin or Charlotte's level yet, but if the momentum continues, and they keep bringing in more millennials (we've been in the Top 5 on two lists this summer), I think the next decade could really get this region on people's radar.

Norfolk's entrepreneurial efforts and the tech developments in VB will play a huge role in this, not to mention whatever happens with public transportation expansion. I just wish we could bottle up 1% of the energy those other cities have done and bring it here.

Edited by BFG

5 hours ago, urbanlife said:

That is good news for Norfolk, hopefully the city pushes for things that millennials want because that is what Norfolk needs if they want to see the city become a popular urban destination. Also it helps that other places are becoming too expensive for millennials to live in, so they are beginning to look at cheaper cities, and it is important for Norfolk to be one of those better alternative options.

So a pro soccer team?

• Like 1

Honestly, I could see that working. Have them play at the upgraded Foreman Field when that's ready. Either that or expand Harbor Park to keep that downtown presence. 

Back to the article, I notice that we had a net gain of about 7,500, but a total of about 34,000 moved here. That's not bad, but the #1 city, Charlotte, had more than double that with 71K, so I'd love to see us get to that point. I think a lot of those cities have the same population as Norfolk and VB combined, so I'm taking my math with a grain of salt.

Edited by BFG

I'm sure Forman Field will have permanent lines and that is never a good look.  Harbor Park would be good for the short term but I think the field would be too small, I would go with ODUs soccer stadium.  I would love to see a SSS built next to Harbor park. Looking on the horribly outdated google maps there is open land in Fort Norfolk but I'm pretty sure that is already being developed now. 

To the article, yes Charlotte is 150k larger than the 2 cities combined, Seattle is about the same size as both combined but surprisingly VB is currently bigger than Oakland on its own. Oakland gets the benefit of being next to the large cities of San Fran and San Jose without being ridiculously over priced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/norfolk-parking-garage-is-closed-and-might-not-reopen-after/article_154e0b32-1c55-563d-ac27-2a58c5447f7b.html

Norfolk is considering closing the City Hall garage for good, after chunks of concrete fall on cars.

Having been to that garage a few times, it seems very spread out. I would think that would become prime land for a new tower. The only issue I see is that it might be surrounded by the Interstate ramps, and therefore confined (For context, DMV Select is City Hall).

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 2.50.41 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Another high ranking from Travel+Leisure, this time Norfolk ranks #1 in a reader survey. 

https://pilotonline.com/life/travel/norfolk-is-more-popular-that-new-york-new-orleans-or/article_93c15ffb-bbc2-53d1-b3d0-cedeb106fd08.html

With these articles becoming more and more the norm, Norfolk has to get serious about improving schools and landing more companies.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1