Office Building - Japanese Dogwood Ln.

vicupstate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an absolutely horrible idea!  Is no one paying attention to the fact that this is in a flood zone and right next to the river?  And after all the effort the city went through on Riverplace to get rid of the old buildings that blocked up the archway of the Main St bridge, now they're going to wedge something new in right by the bridge, taking out park space and interrupting pedestrian flow? Hope this goes nowhere fast.

Yikes, I agree with the bad idea, takes up park space (shouldn't that be protected?) and flood plain comments.  This does not transition into the river well at all, blocks views and pedestrian access.  If it blocks views of the architectural arches of the bridge too that is just horrible.  Does seem wedged in there and does not look natural at all and not the right scale for that spot. The design is really really ugly too. This could be a huge eyesore right smack in the middle of everything we worked so hard to make beautiful.   Can they even get insurance in a flood plain?  Hey I have a great idea, lets build a freeway over the falls next...

Does it really count as "park space" when it's privately owned and simply undeveloped? I guess someone should have pursued the purchase of this land and donated it to the City if they didn't want to see it ever developed.

This side of the river will benefit greatly from being activated by retail. However, I'm not convinced that their overall building form and the ground level design are adequate. I imagine the Design Review Board will have plenty to say about this building's design and visual impact. Hopefully, we see a best possible solution result from the process to come...

It isn't park space so we don't need to worry about that.

I hope that they are planning retail along the riverbank side.

Also, don't worry about the floodplain. By law, the entrances have to be 2 feet above flood stage. The entrances to the building will be above the sidewalk much like how Riverplace's are.

Now if we can get the removal of the parking garage.... 

It looks like a wall with little subterranean holes carved out of the bottom for bums to sleep and urinate in, er I mean retail.  I would like to see this spot combined with the garage as part of a larger scale project to connect people and businesses on Main down to the falls.  We need to do more to make a reason to go over "the pedestrian bridge to nowhere" as I have frequently heard it called. This is terrible.  This could be another artists row area if done well.  What could be a cool idea would be instead of artists, make it a chefs row turning the area into an outdoor food court serving those enjoying downtown and the park/falls.  Smaller shops outfitted similar to how food trucks are but permanent, allowing for a rotating array of aspiring chef's entrepreneurs to get their start.  This is an important spot given its location (RIGHT ON TOP OF THE FALLS). Anything but a big wall.  

I've been thinking about this, and I'm a little curious about the pedestrian-ization of Japanese Dogwood Lane. To even propose such a thing, there must have been some prior City input, and we can assume that the City is supportive of this idea (and will fund the improvements).

Ultimately, it's a rarely used road to nowhere, with Larkin's using it for valet service (I wonder how they feel?). I assume they'll need to maintain a drivable surface for fire truck access, but hopefully it gets a worthy treatment and not just some bollards. Laurens Street is very well done, and will hopefully serve as the model. I wish we had some solid information about how the Greenville News site will address this face of their block.

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I've been thinking about this, and I'm a little curious about the pedestrian-ization of Japanese Dogwood Lane. To even propose such a thing, there must have been some prior City input, and we can assume that the City is supportive of this idea (and will fund the improvements).

Ultimately, it's a rarely used road to nowhere, with Larkin's using it for valet service (I wonder how they feel?). I assume they'll need to maintain a drivable surface for fire truck access, but hopefully it gets a worthy treatment and not just some bollards. Laurens Street is very well done, and will hopefully serve as the model. I wish we had some solid information about how the Greenville News site will address this face of their block.

The City wanted Camperdown to be pedestrian oriented, but the bedrock couldn't let it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived