Office Building - Japanese Dogwood Ln.

vicupstate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DRB approved 4-1 tonight despite considerable opposition.The southwest corner on the 2nd floor will have the heated space retracted to provide a covered balcony. This will improve the view corridor for pedestrians on the Main Street bridge into the park. That was about the only change from the most recent plans.  

6 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

As others have stated, I think quality landscaping and the public sidewalks around the building will make or break it. The newer rendering is okay except I don't like recessed first floors as a rule. 

The DRB thought landscaping was critical as well and will require a complete landscaping plan be submitted and reviewed as a condition for COA.  

I walked this spot yesterday.  The space is TINY. They literally are going to have to shoe-horn this building in there.  I dont see how they will be able to fit a sidewalk connecting the Liberty bridge to the one that leads under main st to the Peace Center.  From what I see, it is either cutting off the sidewalk completely as it goes under Main or pedestrians will have to walk sideways, single-file, while holding their breath to get past the building where it meets the bridge. This looks forced/oversized.  This must be why retail is recessed back into little holes cut in the building.  It looks like it will totally obscure the third arch and possibly some of the center arch of the bridge as well.  My suggestion would be to set it back further and build it over Japanese Dogwood lane and make a tunnel through the lower part of the building there.  

53 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

I walked this spot yesterday.  The space is TINY. They literally are going to have to shoe-horn this building in there.  I dont see how they will be able to fit a sidewalk connecting the Liberty bridge to the one that leads under main st to the Peace Center.  From what I see, it is either cutting off the sidewalk completely as it goes under Main or pedestrians will have to walk sideways, single-file, while holding their breath to get past the building where it meets the bridge. This looks forced/oversized.  This must be why retail is recessed back into little holes cut in the building.  It looks like it will totally obscure the third arch and possibly some of the center arch of the bridge as well.  My suggestion would be to set it back further and build it over Japanese Dogwood lane and make a tunnel through the lower part of the building there.  

I actually suggested pulling the building back 10-20 feet toward the Camperdown project at the meeting. Since J.D. lane is now only pedestrian access, it does need to be as wide as it is now. The city staff guy said that was considered but ReWa has a 25' easement under J.D. lane for a sewer line.   

5 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I actually suggested pulling the building back 10-20 feet toward the Camperdown project at the meeting. Since J.D. lane is now only pedestrian access, it does need to be as wide as it is now. The city staff guy said that was considered but ReWa has a 25' easement under J.D. lane for a sewer line.   

So maybe a tunnel (okay, we can call it a "breezeway") through the building (and put the building on top with a lobby and retail on the main level) will still allow for access to the sewer line?  

ReWa, or any utility service, is going to be very protective of its easements. They won't let any building infringe upon those unless the easement is not needed. However, Im pretty sure this is the trunk line, which is the most important line through the City. 

And you can expect ReWa to need to use more of that easement soon due to demand...

• 3 weeks later...

Falls Park Office Building stirs opposition

I thought this might happen. While getting more office space is great, I have misgivings about this site. It may turn out fine once built and we collectively adjust to the change, but it is just as likely we end up wondering what we were thinking to allow it.  

23 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

They should let them build it. Wyche won't want to be attached to a bad project and the developers have the right to develop their land. 

If I were Wyche, I wouldn't risk the potential damage to their reputation. I wonder if there is room in the Bowater building to accommodate them, so the Hotel can still proceed.     

20 minutes ago, Galley said:

Just to clarify, this will only replace the existing parking garage, correct?  As it is, the garage stays hidden behind the trees.

No. The existing garage is not impacted at all. This will  go BETWEEN the garage and the Main St. bridge.

I'm not a fan of this project, either. I doubt Tommy Wyche, the founder of this law firm, would want to scar a view of the river and/or fight the wishes of the garden club that made this park what it is today (sadly, Mr. Wyche passed away last year).

Mr. Wyche founded the natureland trust (http://www.naturalandtrust.org/). It would be great if this trust protected this area as an urban park.

Since the city doesn't own this property it shouldn't be getting treated any different than any other property downtown.  Why it is alright to have all of Riverplace right on the rive and not this building.  All this opposition is ridiculous.  If the city stops this project they need to be willing to not only pay the seller of the land what they were going to get for it but they should also be willing to pay any other parties involved for any missed profits they may cause.

27 minutes ago, btoy said:

Since the city doesn't own this property it shouldn't be getting treated any different than any other property downtown.  Why it is alright to have all of Riverplace right on the rive and not this building.  All this opposition is ridiculous.  If the city stops this project they need to be willing to not only pay the seller of the land what they were going to get for it but they should also be willing to pay any other parties involved for any missed profits they may cause.

Thats one of the problems. If the city blocks it, it could invoke a taking lawsuit. 

^^ I'm not a lawyer but If the building doesn't meet the buffer requirement, then I don't think it would be considered a taking.  Whether the judge would see the buffer requirement as being met or not is the question.

I don't think it matters, because it appears an alternative solution is in the works. Hopefully it pans out.  

I don't think you can compare this to Riverplace either, as Riverplace does not come as close to the bridge, nor blocks the view of the bridge nor is it as close to the water as 55 Camperdown will be.  Plus Riverplace actually eliminated buildings that did in fact do some of those things.  

Archived