Office Building - Japanese Dogwood Ln.

vicupstate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, btoy said:

Since the city doesn't own this property it shouldn't be getting treated any different than any other property downtown.  Why it is alright to have all of Riverplace right on the rive and not this building.  All this opposition is ridiculous.  If the city stops this project they need to be willing to not only pay the seller of the land what they were going to get for it but they should also be willing to pay any other parties involved for any missed profits they may cause.

I agree and I don't see how this would block the view from the bridge at all.

City won't support Falls park office Building

The city is negotiating to buy the land but the article seems to reference a 'property swap' without explaining what property is being exchanged for 55 Camperdown.

he effort to build a modern office building along the banks of the Reedy River at the edge of Falls Park is facing stiff opposition from the city, which has delayed ruling on a request by the developer to allow construction closer to the river.

The city instead is in active negotiations to buy the sliver of property, following a public uprising over the proposal for a four-story, brick-and-glass office building steps away from the historic Main Street bridge.

"The building's not going to go there," Mayor Knox White told The Greenville Newson Tuesday. "Our proposition has been that we’re willing to buy the property. We’re in negotiations on that price.”

The city has expressed its desire that the proposed office building be located on a different section of the property, White said, which is set farther back from the park at the eastern entrance of the pedestrian Liberty Bridge.

The city has long intended but delayed the effort to buy some portion of the 3-acre property for preservation, White said. The purchase of the small proposed office site would in effect be "a swap," he said.

19 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Im going to guess they will ask the building to be built in front of the garage. Only problem is that will cut of the views from the Bowater Building.

You nailed it

http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=512635e8701fc3909dfe87deb&id=ef2e2e03ea

There just doesn't seem to be any plan with respect to this stretch of river front land which baffles me considering it will tie together a path to newly developing parts of the city, the Greenville News/Camperdown site, the Grand Bohemian and the other side of the pedestrian bridge.  Seems like kind of a big deal to keep things cohesive there.

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

You nailed it

http://us14.campaign-archive1.com/?u=512635e8701fc3909dfe87deb&id=ef2e2e03ea

There just doesn't seem to be any plan with respect to this stretch of river front land which baffles me considering it will tie together a path to newly developing parts of the city, the Greenville News/Camperdown site, the Grand Bohemian and the other side of the pedestrian bridge.  Seems like kind of a big deal to keep things cohesive there.

I agree. Shouldn't that garage be torn down and a new actual Riverplace 2.0 be designed and planned. You could keep the Bowater building even though it is kind of odd for the location. The garage is dumpy and would have to go at some point regardless. 

You would not demolish a perfectly good garage, when to replace it would be $25k a space. That parking is obviously needed plus the new building will have demands as well.  It might be possible to build more office floors on top of it though.  The spot shown would HIDE the garage at least.  

That option was mentioned during the DRB meeting, and I don't remember what all was said then, but obviously it was not CAP's first choice.

Ideally the new building would go someplace altogether different. The new spot is farther from the riverbank but it provides a very nice green compliment to the park too.    

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

You would not demolish a perfectly good garage, when to replace it would be $25k a space. That parking is obviously needed plus the new building will have demands as well.  It might be possible to build more office floors on top of it though.  The spot shown would HIDE the garage at least.  

That option was mentioned during the DRB meeting, and I don't remember what all was said then, but obviously it was not CAP's first choice.

Ideally the new building would go someplace altogether different. The new spot is farther from the riverbank but it provides a very nice green compliment to the park too.    

I mean it would hide it from one side but not the other where the current building is planned. Unless they just do a much smaller building on the other side. 

• 1 month later...

Archived