Stonewall Street Projects in 2nd Ward - Northwood Ravin, Proffitt Dixon, Walton Plaza

CLTProductions

3 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

What I love about the shot of the skyline at 2:11 is that it doesn't even show Hearst, Odell, or the Skyhouses, and still looks as dense as it ever has. Also looking straight down 277 is cool too. The only thing that shot needs is the lot next to the HofF developed and of course Tryon Place, LU site built out, and DEC#2, and in about 30 years, maybe a cap over 277.

People who like to talk crap about CLT's skyline always say it's just down tryon and church but it's obvious that they haven't been to the city or really looked at it. Most of the time you can't even see half of the skyline because it's blocked by other buildings.

• Like 3

On 7/25/2018 at 11:07 AM, 1Forrest1 said:

Does anyone else think that the convention center looks ugly in the Video?  the convention centers great, But i wish we could make it look nicer than it does

Wish granted:

http://www.crva.com/news/charlotte-convention-center-announces-110-million-expansion-plans

https://www.pcma.org/charlotte-convention-center-expansion-underway/

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Is this what the stonewall side is going to look like? If so, that's absolutely fantastic!!!

CCC_Expansion_Stonewall_S_View_Hi-Res_170914.jpg.90f072c86b11d7535ef2a25efa987349.jpg

I dunno. Imagine how it would look in real life. I don’t think it’ll look as great without the colors of the rendering 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I dunno. Imagine how it would look in real life. I don’t think it’ll look as great without the colors of the rendering 

It will be a white box with glass and an equally dead streetscape. Moreso, even, since it builds another pedestrian bridge over Stonewall.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

It will be a white box with glass and an equally dead streetscape. Moreso, even, since it builds another pedestrian bridge over Stonewall.

Edit from my previous post, but from that rendering above...it would be cool if they could incorporate that to extend the rail trail and then extend the rail trail through the convention center site with the renovations...haven't been in that area in a while but I remember the rail trail just stopping at the CC.  Doesn't really pick back up until you pass the data center

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

So, not a fan?  

You are right (though I don't hate the bridge as a continuation of the rail trail, as atlrvr noted).  As RDF pointed out previously, the loading dock limits what they can do here.  It's definitely better, the question is are they putting lipstick on a white elephant (for $110 million) that could be better spent elsewhere?

9 hours ago, JBS said:

So, not a fan?  

You are right (though I don't hate the bridge as a continuation of the rail trail, as atlrvr noted).  As RDF pointed out previously, the loading dock limits what they can do here.  It's definitely better, the question is are they putting lipstick on a white elephant (for $110 million) that could be better spent elsewhere?

Yep, they'd literally have to find some way to remove the on ramp and move it elsewhere. it could MAYBE done if they purchase the Duke Data Center and put it over there, but seems like an unnecessary expense.

23 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I thought the Duke DC was explicitly going to be part of the Convention Center expansion? Or was it maybe going to be the 1000 room hotel?

I guess Duke hasn’t even sold the land yet. We’ll have first row pictures whenever they do:

6FDBDABA-5FA6-4139-AD94-3F403DDDB1E4.jpeg

If the CRVV/City is the highest bidder on the land, sure. But saying "explicitly" isn't correct. Let me also say that the kind of expansion the convention center needs isn't possible. Needs a bigger exhibition floor, which is currently subterranean and hemmed in completely with a vital loading dock.  

Edited by Guest

On 7/27/2018 at 1:47 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If the CRVV/City is the highest bidder on the land, sure. But saying "explicitly" isn't correct. Let me also say that the kind of expansion the convention center needs isn't possible. Needs a bigger exhibition floor, which is currently subterranean and hemmed in completely with a vital loading dock.  

I think that the convention center should be razed and rebuilt somewhere else nearby.   I’d like to see that land get a new park surrounded by apartments, stores, and offices.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that the convention center should be razed and rebuilt somewhere else nearby.   I’d like to see that land get a new park surrounded by apartments, stores, and offices.

And rebuild it on levineland.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Even before nascar hall of fame was built, I always thought that was a logical expansion site. As nascar's popularity keeps declining, the idea of converting it into true convention space and hotel is not so farfetched. 

Yeah, it is. The HoF attracts somewhere close to 150,000-200,000 people per year.

• Like 2

Lol I was being a little facetious, but that's good to hear! Although I dont follow nascar that much, I appreciate the attraction it brings to uptown. 

None of these options give Charlotte what it needs. A 2x larger contiguous exhibition space. Adding on more spaces is all well and good, but the format of the exhibition space doesn’t warrant a 1000 room hotel. I’ll take the hotel, but I dunno if it’s wise. Look at the city’s who have 1000 room hotels and then look at their exhibition space offerings. He’ll look at ones without a 1000 room hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk