Stonewall Street Projects in 2nd Ward - Northwood Ravin, Proffitt Dixon, Walton Plaza

CLTProductions

^That place is going to kill it!  Although it's different than Let's Meat, Charlotte is wayy behind with table-side grilling restaurants (Korean bbq type places).  I hope we get more of this style...they are a dime a dozen in Atlanta.  This new Japanese bbq place will differ from Let's Meats grill by using charcoal too.  Tastes a lot better being cooked over an open flame.  What a start to the retail game on Stonewall...here's to more good stuff coming in the near future...can't wait! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, j-man said:

I didnt even know that place ever opened. What happened?

No clue. Went there a couple of times. Looked like a very expensive interior, and the menu had prices to match. Lasted about maybe a month or so.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/30/new-uptown-restaurant-closes-abruptly.html

Edited by enicideme

4 hours ago, j-man said:

I didnt even know that place ever opened. What happened?

The principal investor spent $1.8 million on up-fitting Suki Akor  at the same time he was facing an expensive legal battle over his involvement in Pure Body Fitness. That lawsuit was bitter, likely expensive, and has been cited for case law now in NC. The cost of fighting the law suit on top of the expense he put into the restaurant likely spelled disaster for his personal finances and the subsequent closure of the restaurant. 

11 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

You answered your own question...

That Embassy Suites is the last place I would be looking for a stylish, hip new restaurant.

No I mean I did not know that the place opened. I knew it was coming, I just don't travel in that area of uptown to see. I don't get how I answered my own question. 

21 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

What happened? If you were anticipating its opening and still wasn't made aware by marketing or word of mouth, it failed because of poor outreach. It probably wasn't opened long enough to even catch the attention of an aware diner.

that doesnt make sense. I didnt say it would be the last place I would look for a stylish new restaurant. I just forgot about the place because I don't pass by the hotel often. I literally just forgot about it. Not saying its not expected to be where it was. Maybe there's just not enough in that area for more foot traffic and did not generate much attention. It was is a little hide away section of a hotel that isn't that big. Maybe if it was on like Tryon it would have done better.

12 minutes ago, j-man said:

that doesnt make sense. I didnt say it would be the last place I would look for a stylish new restaurant. I just forgot about the place because I don't pass by the hotel often. I literally just forgot about it. Not saying its not expected to be where it was. Maybe there's just not enough in that area for more foot traffic and did not generate much attention. It was is a little hide away section of a hotel that isn't that big. Maybe if it was on like Tryon it would have done better.

As I posted earlier, the principal owner was having personal financial issues due to a lawsuit going on(from another business he owned) at the same time as he spent $1.8 million outfitting Suki Akor. There just wasn't enough money to keep it going and buy inventory, pay the salaries of employees, pay rent, etc... (in any location), when the principal owner runs out of free cash. Also, having an active lawsuit against you doesn't make you appealing for small business loans, thus Suki Akor was doomed from the start due to ownership problems. 

The new restaurant opening at Savoy is part of a chain and has a more stable sources of income, wealth, and money behind it to pay rent, employees, etc... I expect this new restaurant will be much more successful with an experienced leadership team in the restaurant and hospitality industry.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1