Stonewall Street Projects in 2nd Ward - Northwood Ravin, Proffitt Dixon, Walton Plaza

CLTProductions

31 minutes ago, enicideme said:

Updates from this morning. . . 

AA402261-24FC-4B73-96DC-7A93E05F135B.jpeg

E31EA544-3FD5-48FF-BF34-68CE9FF429DC.jpeg

C4C70F7A-0712-413E-A551-B14CD1EA40C8.jpeg

Well there's a confirmation, the tower has indeed begun for Northwood Ravin. Sort of crazy to see that intersection densifying.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, JBS said:

^^^

Is there a plan to build on the grass adjacent to the freeway entrance in the third picture or is access too much of a problem?

I don't think this land was ever part of the city offering because of access issues. There is an extensive study about the future of 277/77/Brookshire in the below. Talks about 

http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Documents/I-277_I-77 Loop Strategic Plan_Final Report 2.pdf

Work in Progress (I should go home before my wife kicks my ass). This is what I'd do with that intersection.
image.thumb.png.6a3976cec163a5d96e53b5ecae5e5b2c.png

I love the design, but can’t say I’d agree with the location. Can’t imagine a public park adjacent to an interstate and framed by an exit ramp. You know, public health issues and all.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AuLukey said:

I love the design, but can’t say I’d agree with the location. Can’t imagine a public park adjacent to an interstate and framed by an exit ramp. You know, public health issues and all.

I mean. Its a park that'd be the closest park to a couple thousand new residents that do not have a park anywhere near them. It'd also bridge a not so friendly gap between uptown and that section of South End. It builds bridges, yadda yadda. 

ec83006b6783ff0cfb7590fdc8141ec6.jpg
Update

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 1/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, lewy2000 said:

I'd like to see Charlotte's version of Hall of Heroes go there instead.  Something that really speaks to our rich history and culture...

clt.jpg

9 hours ago, CriticalT said:

Quick send this to Amazon, they'll reconsider. 

I'm sorry for shifting so far OT, but, we've got a legacy to be proud of...

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 3:57 PM, Sigma said:

It would require taking two parcels through eminent domain, but you could potentially create and sell off two (or more) parcels from this scenario.

I find the cloverleaf type exits and onramps to be such wastes of space.

277 - Caldwell Exit.JPG

Interesting concept, and definitely frees up some valuable space.  The only issue I see with this would be accessibility due to Morehead bridging over South Blvd.  The grade difference between Morehead and South Blvd is probably too drastic to replace the bridge with a regular interchange, and routing traffic between South Blvd and 277 would require directing traffic onto Caldwell and Lexington, which I guess could work but would mean a lot more traffic on what are now pretty low-volume streets....

"Interesting concept, and definitely frees up some valuable space.  The only issue I see with this would be accessibility due to Morehead bridging over South Blvd.  The grade difference between Morehead and South Blvd is probably too drastic to replace the bridge with a regular interchange, and routing traffic between South Blvd and 277 would require directing traffic onto Caldwell and Lexington, which I guess could work but would mean a lot more traffic on what are now pretty low-volume streets...."

Regarding the grade difference from Morehead to South Boulevard:

South Boulevard ended at a Morehead intersection for 50+ years. It was lowered to go under Morehead for auto traffic into and through the city in the last half of the 20th century. The Morehead bridge originally meant the rail underpass. This was the first real bridge in Charlotte completed for the trolley to operate into the new Dilworth development in 1891. This reference below says it was the first bridge over the railroad but I have seen elsewhere that the trolley owners built a steel bridge to replace a wooden one which was unable to carry the weight of a trolley. That sounds right to me.

See the Miscellaneous Items at the bottom of this page:

http://cmhpf.org/educationtrolleytour.htm

The Southern Rail station on West Trade connected to the rail line, now the light rail line corridor, by a loop from just beyond the downtown side of Morehead. Pictured here:

https://www.mapsofthepast.com/charlotte-north-carolina-1935.html

To maintain gradient the railroad made a cut under Morehead and then much later the street builders did the same. Recall that the streets crossing downtown Tryon Street all fall away on both sides as NC 49 follows the spine of a ridge, which was a wagon road and earlier a trading path and before that a native pathway and before that, maybe, an animal highway (pure conjecture on that last one).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Regarding the grade difference from Morehead to South Boulevard:

South Boulevard ended at a Morehead intersection for 50+ years. It was lowered to go under Morehead for auto traffic into and through the city in the last half of the 20th century. The Morehead bridge originally meant the rail underpass. This was the first real bridge in Charlotte completed for the trolley to operate into the new Dilworth development in 1891. This reference below says it was the first bridge over the railroad but I have seen elsewhere that the trolley owners built a steel bridge to replace a wooden one which was unable to carry the weight of a trolley. That sounds right to me.

See the Miscellaneous Items at the bottom of this page:

http://cmhpf.org/educationtrolleytour.htm

The Southern Rail station on West Trade connected to the rail line, now the light rail line corridor, by a loop from just beyond the downtown side of Morehead. Pictured here:

https://www.mapsofthepast.com/charlotte-north-carolina-1935.html

To maintain gradient the railroad made a cut under Morehead and then much later the street builders did the same. Recall that the streets crossing downtown Tryon Street all fall away on both sides as NC 49 follows the spine of a ridge, which was a wagon road and earlier a trading path and before that a native pathway and before that, maybe, an animal highway (pure conjecture on that last one).

Interesting.  I figured those intersections were reconfigured numerous times due to the original Independence Blvd routing (Stonewall to South Blvd to Carson Blvd) and the later 277 construction, but I didn't know that about the trolley.

• dubone changed the title to Stonewall Street Projects in 2nd Ward - Northwood Ravin, Proffitt Dixon, Walton Plaza

I love that there is a school there. I really hope one day uptown gets a high school. I highly doubt Charlotte will ever be a tourist destination beyond having attractions that draw people from the southeast. USNWC, events, Carowinds, an aquarium, a zoo, etc.

But I think turning uptown into a community would be the best thing. Shopping, retail, public schools, university campuses, things like Rays Splash Planet, etc. is what will make uptown an amazing place. Maybe a zoo along the blue line. I know thats off topic, sorry - Nice pics!

• Like 3