Stonewall Street Projects in 2nd Ward - Northwood Ravin, Proffitt Dixon, Walton Plaza

CLTProductions

11 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Charlotte: city of chain workout joints and hair salons.

The rent is too HIGH for these retail spaces.  Lower the rent and fill some of the vacant spaces with local tenants.  at $35/40 a sq ft only chains or high end restaurants can afford it.  Look at downtown Belmont Mt Holly, Concord, Mooresville, Waxhaw etc all have lots of small local based businesses because the rents are less.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The rent is too HIGH for these retail spaces.  Lower the rent and fill some of the vacant spaces with local tenants.  at $35/40 a sq ft only chains or high end restaurants can afford it.  Look at downtown Belmont Mt Holly, Concord, Mooresville, Waxhaw etc all have lots of small local based businesses because the rents are less.  

KJ, I know you travel a lot so you probably have a good feel for this.  Do you think this is a Charlotte-specific problem or do our peer cities have a similar mix of national and local tenants in their CBDs?  How do other cities address the issue?

To be fair, I am far less concerned with having the bigger national chains occupy spots in Uptown than I am with them swallowing up every retail spot in Southend.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

KJ, I know you travel a lot so you probably have a good feel for this.  Do you think this is a Charlotte-specific problem or do our peer cities have a similar mix of national and local tenants in their CBDs?  How do other cities address the issue?

To be fair, I am far less concerned with having the bigger national chains occupy spots in Uptown than I am with them swallowing up every retail spot in Southend.  

All cities have this problem. It can be augmented by only one circumstance, the presence of old buildings with old retail spaces. That said, the current trend is to spruce up those spaces to the point of losing out on affordability as well. 

4 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Charlotte: city of chain workout joints and hair salons.

I will say that my GF is quite excited about the salons and nail places. When we first moved here 5 years ago she was shocked as to how few of these places were up town. Like it or not, salons make uptown more livable and are attractive to professional young women, which are an extremely important demo to real estate developers 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Salon Lofts also helps independent hair stylists have a location in Uptown without having to absorb all of the fixed costs of a salon themselves such as online bookings, utilities, janitorial cleaning, maintenance, et... The stylist can just focus on being a small business and pursuing their passion with clients, rather than operating a building too. So it is a "chain" full of small business owners who are independent. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

On 9/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, KJHburg said:

Parked at the Savoy apartments on E Stonewall and walked up to Tryon lots of new retail coming to the street level. Maybe not destination retail but it will help liven the street.

Starbucks, 5/3 Bank, Japanese restaurant, fitness studios, nail places, spas etc.  Here are my photos today.   Whole Foods is driving a lot of walkers now.   Saw lots of urban search and rescue people from California maybe at the convention at the Westin from Sacramento and San Diego.  Many were eating at Whole Foods inside and out.   There are going to be some good looking people eating their Tiffs cookies and drinking their lattes on these blocks. LOL

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

I know I have a weird sense of humor, but I always look forward to when you post a picture talking about street activity because inevitably, your pictures don't capture any people. :tw_smiley:

• Haha 4

If the space was larger, I would love to see one of those Urban Targets (still would like one of those anywhere Uptown).   But being located at the bottom of a hotel, my initial thought was a restaurant.  That particular retail spot is pretty big too.  Out of the entire Stonewall stretch of newness, only one restaurant so far, Gyu.

*Re: Gas-less QT: Something like this would work really well at that location, providing a 24/7 food/convenience store...With all the residential/hotels/Convention center, would be pretty busy.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...