Jump to content

Jayvee

Stonewall Street Projects in 2nd Ward - Northwood Ravin, Proffitt Dixon, Walton Plaza

Recommended Posts


9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Parked at the Savoy apartments on E Stonewall and walked up to Tryon lots of new retail coming to the street level. Maybe not destination retail but it will help liven the street.

Starbucks, 5/3 Bank, Japanese restaurant, fitness studios, nail places, spas etc.  Here are my photos today.   Whole Foods is driving a lot of walkers now.   Saw lots of urban search and rescue people from California maybe at the convention at the Westin from Sacramento and San Diego.  Many were eating at Whole Foods inside and out.   There are going to be some good looking people eating their Tiffs cookies and drinking their lattes on these blocks. LOL

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3086.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

I saw those california search and rescue people under westins Thursday.

Thought they supposed to relate to the hurricane. But maybe the damage isn't big enough that local first responders can handle it so they just stay in Charlotte?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 12:22 AM, XRZ.ME said:

I saw those california search and rescue people under westins Thursday.

Thought they supposed to relate to the hurricane. But maybe the damage isn't big enough that local first responders can handle it so they just stay in Charlotte?

Maybe they confused CHArleston and CHArlotte.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems Gyu kabu the japanese bbq restaurant have been soft opened according to their website. Can't wait to visit this place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Charlotte: city of chain workout joints and hair salons.

The rent is too HIGH for these retail spaces.  Lower the rent and fill some of the vacant spaces with local tenants.  at $35/40 a sq ft only chains or high end restaurants can afford it.  Look at downtown Belmont Mt Holly, Concord, Mooresville, Waxhaw etc all have lots of small local based businesses because the rents are less.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The rent is too HIGH for these retail spaces.  Lower the rent and fill some of the vacant spaces with local tenants.  at $35/40 a sq ft only chains or high end restaurants can afford it.  Look at downtown Belmont Mt Holly, Concord, Mooresville, Waxhaw etc all have lots of small local based businesses because the rents are less.  

KJ, I know you travel a lot so you probably have a good feel for this.  Do you think this is a Charlotte-specific problem or do our peer cities have a similar mix of national and local tenants in their CBDs?  How do other cities address the issue?

To be fair, I am far less concerned with having the bigger national chains occupy spots in Uptown than I am with them swallowing up every retail spot in Southend.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CTiger said:

KJ, I know you travel a lot so you probably have a good feel for this.  Do you think this is a Charlotte-specific problem or do our peer cities have a similar mix of national and local tenants in their CBDs?  How do other cities address the issue?

To be fair, I am far less concerned with having the bigger national chains occupy spots in Uptown than I am with them swallowing up every retail spot in Southend.  

All cities have this problem. It can be augmented by only one circumstance, the presence of old buildings with old retail spaces. That said, the current trend is to spruce up those spaces to the point of losing out on affordability as well. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Charlotte: city of chain workout joints and hair salons.

I will say that my GF is quite excited about the salons and nail places. When we first moved here 5 years ago she was shocked as to how few of these places were up town. Like it or not, salons make uptown more livable and are attractive to professional young women, which are an extremely important demo to real estate developers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salon Lofts also helps independent hair stylists have a location in Uptown without having to absorb all of the fixed costs of a salon themselves such as online bookings, utilities, janitorial cleaning, maintenance, et... The stylist can just focus on being a small business and pursuing their passion with clients, rather than operating a building too. So it is a "chain" full of small business owners who are independent. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.