Charlotte Protests/Riots Discussion

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, even with that being his past, nothing there says convicted murderer or specifically cop killer. So as to why he'd confront or even brandish a weapon in front of an obvious police presence is blowing my mind.

Well... any good miscellaneous uptown construction news?

Everyone can say what they want/think what they want, but I am going to add my five cents given that I actually went to the protests uptown last night.

For the most part, the protest was peaceful. You had a couple of jerks but for the most part it was peaceful. The only thing illegal being done for the most part was that we were blocking the road. Also, the police cooperated with us for the most part as well. They were shaking hands with some of the protesters, etc. As soon as the sun went down, everything pretty much changed. Police came out of nowhere. We were pushed up to the square on Trade and Tryon and they pushed us further back near the Omni, which is when the shots went off. I ran away towards the CTC, but had to go back and get my friends who couldn't run that fast, and I couldn't find another friend who got lost in the commotion. That's when they started spraying tear gas, all without any warning. There were elderly and families on the sidewalk who were peacefully standing there and they all got hit. I got hit-I can still smell it in my clothes. The police came up and started banging their shields with their batons-how do you expect people to react after that. I'm not condoning violence in anyway but do the math. Change only happens after people are vocal. Silent protests are ignored and don't do anything. People remember loud and violentWP_20160921_20_07_57_Pro_LI.jpg.

WP_20160921_20_39_11_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160921_20_27_58_Pro_LI.jpg

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Cop was plain clothes. Best as he knows it's some guy walking up to jack him. 

Wait. Are you kidding or drunk?

56 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Everyone can say what they want/think what they want, but I am going to add my five cents given that I actually went to the protests uptown last night.

For the most part, the protest was peaceful. You had a couple of jerks but for the most part it was peaceful. The only thing illegal being done for the most part was that we were blocking the road. Also, the police cooperated with us for the most part as well. They were shaking hands with some of the protesters, etc. As soon as the sun went down, everything pretty much changed. Police came out of nowhere. We were pushed up to the square on Trade and Tryon and they pushed us further back near the Omni, which is when the shots went off. I ran away towards the CTC, but had to go back and get my friends who couldn't run that fast, and I couldn't find another friend who got lost in the commotion. That's when they started spraying tear gas, all without any warning. There were elderly and families on the sidewalk who were peacefully standing there and they all got hit. I got hit-I can still smell it in my clothes. The police came up and started banging their shields with their batons-how do you expect people to react after that. I'm not condoning violence in anyway but do the math. Change only happens after people are vocal. Silent protests are ignored and don't do anything. People remember loud and violentWP_20160921_20_07_57_Pro_LI.jpg.

WP_20160921_20_39_11_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160921_20_27_58_Pro_LI.jpg

So, I have two questions (and I'm seriously asking). What exactly are you protesting? And, do you expect people should stop when you block the road or are you prepared for someone to barrel through you because they are afraid to stop?

8 hours ago, Dale said:

You mean aside from the 'protestors' who tried to burn the photographer alive, the crowd was peaceful ?

Exactly. I consider myself a pretty far left liberal. I have absolutely zero sympathy. There is not enough fact for people to resort to the level of disrespect, violence and damage to their own allies. I know plenty of liberal UNCC students who are not pleased with the protest. 

In my eyes, im very disappointed in people who condoned vandalism in our city. Walmart in university had to be crap down for hours because of vandalism. I'm sure everyone knows all the stories by now though. What a shame. Your message wasn't just lost..... It will probably lose more sympathizers 

Last night was so great, but it isnt over. I've heard there are droves of people being bussed in today/tonight. This is a very dangerous situation, especially with the video that the wife posted that doesnt help ANYTHING and just makes cops look more guilty to some, and more innocent to others. Very stupid of her to do that. 

56 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Last night was so great, but it isnt over. I've heard there are droves of people being bussed in today/tonight. This is a very dangerous situation, especially with the video that the wife posted that doesnt help ANYTHING and just makes cops look more guilty to some, and more innocent to others. Very stupid of her to do that. 

Just watched the video. 

You're exactly right - I'm not sure how that definitively shows anything. It does serve to entrench the hardliners in their stances though.

I was optimistic about tonight, now I'm not so sure.

37 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Social media?  I haven't seen anything.

Just heard through various sources in town. Could be nothing, and I already apologize for spreading rumors and sensationalizing. I just want people to be safe.

35 minutes ago, The Force Sleeps said:

I was optimistic about tonight, now I'm not so sure.

Me too. I have a very bad feeling about tonight. 

My biggest issue is, when and how does this end? The protests are for a just cause but one that is NOT going to change over night. What's it going to take? Charges against the officer? Acknowledgement the situation was handled poorly? And that's all assuming the CMPD was in the wrong. What if there is video that definitively shows Keith was being aggressive and the CMPD acted appropriately? Do you think the other side with their feet dug in are going to say "oh, okay yeah. deadly force should have been used"? Not a chance in hell. 

Social change will come when the majority feels its necessary. Unfortunately there are still too many in the majority that aren't on that train yet, therefore the politicians seeking reelection won't go against that majority. We need to flip people in the current majority so that those who want social change are the future majority and no longer the minority. Spreading fear, destruction, negative press, hurting local businesses, overall hurting the city you live in, etc is NOT the way we are gonna flip those people.

I think Ol' Pat might have won himself the election this week. Even for those who don't support HB2, and are angry with the economic repercussions. Our mayor basically stood by while the city literally started to burn, Pat had to step in and do what she didn't. The race was close enough, this likely keeps it in his favor.

3 minutes ago, Squid7085 said:

I think Ol' Pat might have won himself the election this week. Even for those who don't support HB2, and are angry with the economic repercussions. Our mayor basically stood by while the city literally started to burn, Pat had to step in and do what she didn't. The race was close enough, this likely keeps it in his favor.

Well, no. That's actually not what happened. The police chief asked Pat and Pat was just waiting for one of those 2 to come to him. This will probably have minimal impact on the election. If it affects anything, I would hope it ensures Jen does not get a 2nd term. Man oh man is she a dunce. 

5 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Well, no. That's actually not what happened. The police chief asked Pat and Pat was just waiting for one of those 2 to come to him. This will probably have minimal impact on the election. If it affects anything, I would hope it ensures Jen does not get a 2nd term. Man oh man is she a dunce. 

As we have seen from most of this situation, what happened, and how it looks are two different things. The rest of the state saw the city burning, nothing being done, and then the governor issued the state of emergency and deployed the national guard. The race is already pretty close it doesn't take much to tip the scales.

At least Charlotte has looked beautiful in most pics and videos that they've shown of the city lol

Update for tonight's happenings

Protester presence tonight was strong with about 300 (or more) showing up. They did block 277 very briefly but left on their own. Many in the crowds were working to calm other protesters down. People were having conversations with officers who just stayed back for the most part and there were very few confrontations. Pretty much entirely peaceful.

Because everything stayed so calm, they never had to enforce the curfew. People got tired and just left around 1-2 AM. No shots fired. No fights. No tear gas. No property damage.

At least until the next development, the bad stuff seems pretty fizzled out.

Here's a nice picture from thursday night that seems pretty accurate to describe things:

flower.png

What happened to the bus loads of people last night?  I saw more or less the same amount as I saw the previous evenings.  And aside from a brief stroll down 277, thinks we're pretty docile.  Hell I drank beers on the roof of gin mill till they shut it down for curfew.  You wouldn't have even known anything was happening.

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

What happened to the bus loads of people last night?  I saw more or less the same amount as I saw the previous evenings.  And aside from a brief stroll down 277, thinks we're pretty docile.  Hell I drank beers on the roof of gin mill till they shut it down for curfew.  You wouldn't have even known anything was happening.

Very pleased the city continues to semi recover. Glad nothing bad happened last night. I just am not sure what the point of the continuing protests are at this point? What's the end game? They want the videos released, okay, say they do. Then what? Protest until the officer has charges filed? Because no matter what's on those videos it won't be conclusive. 

My point is the protests at this point are essentially holding uptown hostage. And while the message is right on, it has been said effectively at this point and they are not changing systemic racism in the country here in Charlotte. I think the continued protests will eventually do more harm than good. I just want them to stop while on a high note and let Charlotte get back to business and the voters do the talking in November. The only way we will ever see real change is with the votes. Not on going protests that have, whether you want to believe it or see it, spread fear of this city throughout itself and the nation (and before you say who cares if white people are scared, think of the bigger picture)

17 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Very pleased the city continues to semi recover. Glad nothing bad happened last night. I just am not sure what the point of the continuing protests are at this point? What's the end game? They want the videos released, okay, say they do. Then what? Protest until the officer has charges filed? Because no matter what's on those videos it won't be conclusive. 

My point is the protests at this point are essentially holding uptown hostage. And while the message is right on, it has been said and they are changing systemic racism in the country here in Charlotte. I think the continued protests will eventually do more harm than good. 

If you haven't been out there you should. The protests the last two nights have really truly been parades, and the police may as well have been our bodyguards. The people chanting were turning them into songs, and creating rhythm and beats to keep them going. It's been incredible. The first two nights I am certain the whole reason things got out of hand is because police prepared for the worst, so they ended up bringing out the worst in some people. Do you know what tear gas does to a person? It is not simply a way to clear a crowd. It burns skin, it burns eyes, it ruins all clothes, it can make asthmatics go into cardiac arrest.

The unity and love that's occurring in these crowds on our streets is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my hometown. Hell, we need to this every year as a day (or a week) of remembrance. Let the people express themselves however they please, and let them process around Uptown's streets. They haven't had a destination, but that's not the point. Lots of people are naturally afraid if they stay home they will stop being heard, and they've gone so long without being heard.

9 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

My point is the protests at this point are essentially holding uptown hostage. And while the message is right on, it has been said effectively at this point and they are not changing systemic racism in the country here in Charlotte. I think the continued protests will eventually do more harm than good. I just want them to stop while on a high note and let Charlotte get back to business and the voters do the talking in November. The only way we will ever see real change is with the votes. Not on going protests that have, whether you want to believe it or see it, spread fear of this city throughout itself and the nation 

The point of the ongoing protests is we continue to discuss it.  The narrative quickly ends when the protesting does.  I fully support continued peaceful protesting.  I don't know what the end game looks like, but I support anyone's constitutional right to peacefully come together to bring attention to a cause they believe in.

Archived