Greer Stadium site/Fort Negley expansion/redevelopment

markhollin

5 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I was originally quite fond of this idea, but the more I consider it the more I'm against it. Two reasons:

1) I want this development to still happen, just somewhere more integrated with the developing urban fabric of the city. As is, it's almost totally isolated from the grid and would be just as suited for a place like Cool Springs.

2) Nashville could use another large park near downtown. And this has the added benefit of becoming a visitor draw itself if the fort is properly restored and renovated with quality interpretive materials. Additionally, it's an ideal location for a branch of the state military museum dedicated to the Civil War and its aftermath. (Although I still want a bigger military museum on the Bicentennial Mall;we are the Volunteer State after all...)

Exactly.  This is a "one-of-a-kind" site in the world...so why not fix it up for generations to come?  The "Cloud Hill" development the city is proposing could go anywhere, like you mentioned.  A Civil War exhibit and park is something that fits here...and really not many other places.  And...with that fort being one of a kind, it deserves this.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 7:42 PM, BnaBreaker said:

I have to eat some crow.  I had wrongly assumed that the opposition to this Cloud Hill development was more or less opposed to any development in general there and wanted the Greer Stadium site to stand empty and unused out of fear that a development would take away from the fort.  But if their desire is to have the entire area, including the Greer site, turned into a high quality Civil War historic park, then I'm absolutely all for that, as I have long wondered why there wasn't really anything of note devoted to that pivotal time in Nashville's history.  We might even get the city to move all of those overlooked, out of the way monuments to the park as well!

I sure hope that Nashville leadership comes to their  senses and protects and ultimately improves the historic Fort Negley Site.  Nashville has only a few truely special historic sites this is one of them.  I have nothing against the developer "wanting" to develop but it would be a huge mistake for the city to approve.  The developer can do there idea somewhere else and not damage a one of a kind city property.  If the development is kept away over time the city will spend the money to improve the site.  We should all remember and think of the big picture when thinking of development and not look at the short term ideas that the developers are selling.  They do not make historic civil war sites any more and you can make developments- but just somewhere else.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As Mayor Megan Barry pushes for the redevelopment of Nashville’s abandoned Greer Stadium site, a preliminary archaeological review has determined a “high likelihood of human remains” on portions of the property.  

The Greer assessment is outlined in an interim management summary by Tennessee Valley Archaeological Research, which the mayor’s office contracted in October to determine what historical remains are under the city-owned former home of the minor league baseball's Nashville Sounds.

Barry's administration has put the Cloud Hill project on pause amid the archaeological study. 

"Tennessee Valley Archaeology was retained for the purposes of doing a survey of the site in order to determine what, if any, historical remains are on the Greer Stadium parcel next to Fort Negley," Barry spokesman Sean Braisted said in a statement. "Once they have completed their work, we will review the report with the appropriate stakeholders to determine the best way to honor and preserve the history of the site in a way that activates this property for the betterment of the community today and into the future."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/12/01/archaeologists-high-likelihood-human-remains-greer-stadium/914210001/

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 8.20.09 AM.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tennessean article on Cloud Hill walking away:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/12/cloud-hill-abandons-controversial-proposal-nashvilles-greer-stadium/1029801001/

Here is the full report (144 pages) with lots of diagrams, photos, and history notated:

https://cdn.baseplatform.io/files/base/scomm/nvp/document/2018/01/TVAR_Greer_Stadium_Report.5a5923f2b71e1.pdf

The conclusion map of recommended areas to be protected.  Essentially, the whole site:

Ft. Negley recommended protection areas.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Country music star Kix Brooks, a Civil War buff who helped preservationists fight Cloud Hill, is leading a new coalition that will advocate for the future of Fort Negley Park so that it "meets the potential that it has." 

Tops on the to-do list: fundraising, both privately and through potential public sources, and to push for the quick demolition of the abandoned Metro-owned stadium, former home of the Nashville Sounds, which sits directly downhill from Fort Negley.

The new group will operate as a committee under Friends of Fort Negley, an advocacy group that supports the Civil War-era fort. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/25/kix-brooks-greer-stadium-post-cloud-hill/1068057001/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nashville Mayor David Briley will make “an important announcement about the future of Greer Stadium and Fort Negley Park” this morning, according to a city media advisory.

Though the full scope of Briley’s expected announcement was not immediately clear Tuesday morning, it seems likely to please “historic preservation advocates” — as some have been invited to attend, according to the media advisory.

Briley’s announcement is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the Fort Negley Visitors Center, at 1100 Fort Negley Blvd.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/03/13/mayor-briley-to-make-greer-stadium-announcement.html

New Nashville Mayor David Briley on Tuesday proposed the demolition of Greer Stadium and the restoration of the land so it can be reincorporated into Fort Negley Park.

It marks a swift reversal from the onetime position of his predecessor, former Mayor Megan Barry, who for most of the past year pushed a controversial plan to redevelop the Greer Stadium site into a mixed-use project called Cloud Hill. Barry retreated from those plans in January amid growing resistance. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/13/nashville-mayor-david-briley-proposes-greer-stadium-demolition-restore-land-fort-negley-park/418246002/

• Like 2