Would be wonderful if they would build a Nashville Civil War Museum on the land somewhere.  Something that tells the story of Nashville and middle TN during the war.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Would be wonderful if they would build a Nashville Civil War Museum on the land somewhere.  Something that tells the story of Nashville and middle TN during the war.

100% agree.  But I think it should be a Civil War Museum for the whole State of TN! Or include all the Western Front.  TN had the Second most Battles next the Virginia and some very important ones not far outside of Nashville. 

Also there has been chatter that Harrisburg PA might close the The National Civil War Museum.  

• Like 4

Country superstar Kix Brooks wants to help raise funds for the park.

What I find interesting is the fact that Fort Negley was built by Union troops using slaves as well as freed slaves.  It'll be interesting to see how that uncomfortable historical fact will be treated.  It doesn't quite fit the agenda of many history revisionists.

I agree with the above poster, I would love to see this park become a Civil War museum encompassing more than just the Battle of Nashville.  It has the potential of attracting even more history enthusiasts to Nashville.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/03/15/kix-brooks-on-fort-negley-i-cant-think-of-anything.html

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

What agenda is that?

All Southerners were racist, all owned slaves, all wanted to secede from the Union for the sole purpose of keeping slavery.

All Northerners were virtuous, embraced blacks, and hated slavery.

• Thanks 1

Are there not enough civil war parks and battlefields in middle Tennessee already. Can’t we just have a park be just a park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buildtall said:

Are there not enough civil war parks and battlefields in middle Tennessee already. Can’t we just have a park be just a park.

Well...even though Nashville played a huge part in the Civil War, I don't know that there is a true Civil War museum or park here.  We have places like Belle Meade Plantation and a few other "sites"...but nothing that would truly tell the story of Nashville's involvement...TN's involvement...etc.  That just seems like a perfect place with a lookout of the city...and enough green space that it could include trails and places to relax and enjoy the land.   It doesn't have to be hugely interactive...but a museum taking up some area where Greer is (with a reasonably sized parking lot) would be nice...and be sure to leave the area green with markers where bodies are buried to honor them...and allow visitors to stroll the grounds and visit the fort site up the hill.

• Like 2

I agree, the Little Big Horn site is beautiful. They don’t try and amaze and awe you, they let the knowledge of what happened there speak for itself. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

The planners of the Nashville park would do well to learn from the Montana park. Keep it understated.

It is indeed reflective, without being overbearing.

Great idea!

• Like 2