Greer Stadium site/Fort Negley expansion/redevelopment

markhollin

On Thursday, the Metro Parks Department and Metro Historical Commission hosted its final community meeting for the Fort Negley Master Plan after kicking off the planning project in November.   

Richie Jones of Hodgson & Douglas Landscape Architecture presented attendees with insight into the new design concept created with input from approximately 1,200 public comments. According to Jones, the mission is to create an open-air museum that acknowledges the area’s Civil War and Civil Rights Era history.  

“The most critical part is listening to the public,” Tennessee State University Learotha Williams, who has worked on the master plan, said. “I feel as though they have been really sensitive to the needs of the public. I’m not a native Nashvillian, so sometimes I’m reticent to throw my voice in because I have access to spaces a lot of Nashvillians don’t. Sometimes I’m the only voice that might be there, but I hope their vision for this space is realized. This place is a place of inspiration, affirmation and reflection. All of that should be taken into account and, from what I've seen thus far, I believe that they've been doing it.”  

Metro Parks Assistant Director Tim Netsch said the master plan would be finished later this summer. Part of the goal, he said, is to help visitors understand that the former Greer Stadium site is part of the larger Fort Negley history.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/metro/metro-gives-latest-details-on-fort-negley-master-plan/article_e73542ce-f958-11ec-b1d2-ff1e7a13d33d.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

We hosted a daughter of a friend of ours who graduated in May and works for a bio-tech company in Nashville. She's from MD. Loves Nashville and lives in the 8th South area.  Says she goest to run at Ft. Negley. So I asked her, and she said it's shabby and in need of a lot of TLC... or renovation. She likes the views there and the loop (I don't think it's an actual loop though) to run around.  I haven't been there myself; so I'd think that any work there would be welcome.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 2:11 PM, MLBrumby said:

We hosted a daughter of a friend of ours who graduated in May and works for a bio-tech company in Nashville. She's from MD. Loves Nashville and lives in the 8th South area.  Says she goest to run at Ft. Negley. So I asked her, and she said it's shabby and in need of a lot of TLC... or renovation. She likes the views there and the loop (I don't think it's an actual loop though) to run around.  I haven't been there myself; so I'd think that any work there would be welcome.  

There's a loop around the entire hill. It has seen better days, I know this summer a wall up top collapsed, I haven't noticed if it's been fixed yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 9:35 AM, PaulChinetti said:

There's a loop around the entire hill. It has seen better days, I know this summer a wall up top collapsed, I haven't noticed if it's been fixed yet.

It has been nearly a decade since the Sounds last played at Greer stadium. The city has still not even begun the process of turning that large piece of public land into a park.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...