Greer Stadium site/Fort Negley expansion/redevelopment

markhollin

On 5/31/2019 at 3:47 PM, titanhog said:

Just a nice, passive Civil War memorial park with trees, grass, benches, a few markers and sidewalks would be awesome.  To me, we don't need to overthink this and try to make it fit everyone's needs / wants.

Agreed!  The Tennessean article linked in the previous post states the future of Ft. Negley has been "in limbo" for 7 years!  I can't think of a better suited site for a beautiful urban park that could be a centerpiece for all the residential buildings going up on the southern edge of downtown. Why all the footdragging?  Does anyone have a fresh link to the latest plan?  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

In reality there is not much of a plan other than a restoration of what was there. This is the last study done I can find that Metro did in 2019.

Cut trees, plant grass!

https://filetransfer.nashville.gov/portals/0/sitecontent/Parks/docs/planning/FortNegley/FortNegleyBookJanuary2020.pdf

Metro will treat this like they do the rest of the parks once it is done, neglect it!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, titanhog said:

What is the building near the parking?  Is that potentially a Civil War museum of some sort (which it should be)?

I didn't go to the meeting, but I would have to think it's a revamped visitor center, like what is there now. 

I can't find any other info on the plans though.

I like the idea of a roundabout at that intersection, that would be nice if that came to fruition. 

• Like 3

I wish Nashville had a park similar to Piedmont park Zilker parks. More of a social park where you could go for games and activities. Centennial and Bi-Centennial are too formal, Shelby is too much nature like Percy Waner. Sevier comes close but scale that up by like 10 times. 

• Like 3

Just now, BeaveStirs said:

I wish Nashville had a park similar to Piedmont park Zilker parks. More of a social park where you could go for games and activities. Centennial and Bi-Centennial are too formal, Shelby is too much nature like Percy Waner. Sevier comes close but scale that up by like 10 times. 

That is what I had wished for on the East Bank instead of a tech hub on one side and a junkyard on the other. I know Oracle prefers campuses but I had hoped they would have gone to Nashville Yards instead. Not to mention PSC moving to somewhere like Cockrill Bend.

Nashville needs its Central Park.

• Like 2

That pdf is from 2020 so we do not have what the recent proposals are unfortunately.  It seems Metro wants to be forthcoming on the details but never is. One would think this would be open to the entire community online, but with two fairly well unadvertised meetings it smacks iof them trying to hide something as usual. I don't care if it is just that district. This is something that affects the entirety of Metro. It is a city gem, not just one community's playground.

2 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

It won't happen but, one thing I thought of is a large underground parking facility that could service the adjacent Wedgewood Houston business areas as well as the Soccer Stadium as well as whatever park space is created. Buried with  green space on top.

I think any kind of excavation on site is going to be a big no no, in my opinion,  until someone ponies up the money to do a proper archeological dig on the entire site and finds and handles all the history buried there. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I think any kind of excavation on site is going to be a big no no, in my opinion,  until someone ponies up the money to do a proper archeological dig on the entire site and finds and handles all the history buried there. 

I understand but would that include the land where Greer was? it seems like it was already pretty developed at one time.

4 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

I understand but would that include the land where Greer was? it seems like it was already pretty developed at one time.

I think so, when that whole Cloud development was supposed to happen, then NIMBYs that stopped that development, used that as their main cudgel, that there were slave graves and other graves there that hadn't been fully excavated during the construction of Greer.  

I had this crazy NIMBY lady come at me on twitter calling me a shill and a plant, it was a lot, they had very strong feelings that they didn't want that development there, OF COURSE they had  no other plan for the area after they blocked it. So it sits there to this day just rotting away.

Actually…a pretty good setup.  We may not be getting a full Civil War museum…but having an interpretive center explaining what all went on at that site is a good thing.  I’m liking what I’m seeing.  Hopefully, one day, the science center will move to a different location and that entire piece of land will just be the park.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I really wish that a pedestrian/ bike bridge/ connection with the City Cemetery was part of the master plan, even if it can't be funded in the near term. I've attended community meetings and discussed this/ put it on the map, but I haven't seen it show up in any of the official designs or renderings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1