Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WMrapids

Wikipedia - Grand Rapids

16 posts in this topic

Not sure if there was a topic here involving Wikipedia already but I have been editing Grand Rapids topics heavily lately.

 

There are a few things that I would like to ask you guys if you have any knowledge:

1. Where was the old Plainfield Bridge?

2. Does anyone have sources for the history of Grand Rapids' tallest buildings?

3. Where are some good places that I can take updated photos?

Anything would help and if you guys have any other recommendations as well, just let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The old Plainfield Bridge was in the same location the Northland Dr/EBL bridge is today.  Before the bridge was a ferry (a simple wooden barge with a railing.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tSlater said:

The old Plainfield Bridge was in the same location the Northland Dr/EBL bridge is today.  Before the bridge was a ferry (a simple wooden barge with a railing.)

Thank you! One of the old Ottawa chiefs was buried "20 rods" south of that bridge.  I don't know if they moved him or what but I thought it was interesting.

Edited by WMrapids
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WMrapids said:

2. Does anyone have sources for the history of Grand Rapids' tallest buildings?

Do you mean the modern skyscrapers, or the historic ones (like McKay or 77 Monroe)?  And what kind of info are you looking for?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

Do you mean the modern skyscrapers, or the historic ones (like McKay or 77 Monroe)?  And what kind of info are you looking for?  

Historic ones. I've gotten past McKay but I don't know if I should include St. Mary's since they say it reaches up to 200 feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Thank you! One of the old Ottawa chiefs was buried "20 rods" south of that bridge.  I don't know if they moved him or what but I thought it was interesting.

What might also be of interest is in the very earliest maps of the city, a cemetary was listed at the northern end of Belknap Hill, but disappeared from maps not long after.  It's certainly not there today.  I've never been able to find any information on it, where the bodies were moved to, or why it was changed.

There also used to be a school where old Central (HH) still stands, but I've not found any records of that school aside from its presence on one map which I've lost.  Nor any details of the hospital on the same block that stood where Fountain School stands today.

Edited by tSlater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tSlater said:

What might also be of interest is in the very earliest maps of the city, a cemetary was listed at the northern end of Belknap Hill, but disappeared from maps not long after.  It's certainly not there today.  I've never been able to find any information on it, where the bodies were moved to, or why it was changed.

There also used to be a school where old Central (HH) still stands, but I've not found any records of that school aside from its presence on one map which I've lost.  Nor any details of the hospital on the same block that stood where Fountain School stands today.

There's a lot of interesting things about the natives here too. One of the schools near where GRCC stands today was used for a lot of historic photos of GR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The metro area statistics are off and kind of confusing. First there is a link for GR metro area and GR CSA which both lead to the metro area page. Then it shows the CSA and MSA populations at the top but below in the demographics section has a population much smaller 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GR8scott said:

The metro area statistics are off and kind of confusing. First there is a link for GR metro area and GR CSA which both lead to the metro area page. Then it shows the CSA and MSA populations at the top but below in the demographics section has a population much smaller 

First off for the Demographics section, it goes off of the official Census report, which is from 2010. Technically the 2015 numbers are just estimates, so they don't have the detailed breakdown of race, ethnicity, income, etc. for each year. Also under the demographics section they only show the population of city proper.

As far as Metro area and CSA links directing to the same place, I don't see where you are running into that problem. If you click the ranking for Metro it leads here, and if you click the ranking for CSA it leads here. If you are clicking the reference numbers for each they lead to different pages as well. Reference number 2 leads here, and reference number 3 leads here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

First off for the Demographics section, it goes off of the official Census report, which is from 2010. Technically the 2015 numbers are just estimates, so they don't have the detailed breakdown of race, ethnicity, income, etc. for each year. Also under the demographics section they only show the population of city proper.

As far as Metro area and CSA links directing to the same place, I don't see where you are running into that problem. If you click the ranking for Metro it leads here, and if you click the ranking for CSA it leads here. If you are clicking the reference numbers for each they lead to different pages as well. Reference number 2 leads here, and reference number 3 leads here.

To clarify, I'm not talking about the rankings but the links, they both lead to a generic "Grand rapids metropolitan area" page, then on there, it contains  confusing population stats. It has 2015 CSA at 1.4 mil, 2015 MSA at just over 1 mil, then below in the demographics it has the 2010 population as 774K.  It doesn't explain where those demographics are coming from, as it's larger than Kent County alone but smaller than Kent/Ottawa combined, and there's no way it grew over a quarter million in five years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GR8scott said:

To clarify, I'm not talking about the rankings but the links, they both lead to a generic "Grand rapids metropolitan area" page, then on there, it contains  confusing population stats. It has 2015 CSA at 1.4 mil, 2015 MSA at just over 1 mil, then below in the demographics it has the 2010 population as 774K.  It doesn't explain where those demographics are coming from, as it's larger than Kent County alone but smaller than Kent/Ottawa combined, and there's no way it grew over a quarter million in five years.

You realize anybody can edit a Wikipedia page, right??  If this bothers you, you can go in and fix it yourself.

Edited by RegalTDP
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GR8scott said:

To clarify, I'm not talking about the rankings but the links, they both lead to a generic "Grand rapids metropolitan area" page, then on there, it contains  confusing population stats. It has 2015 CSA at 1.4 mil, 2015 MSA at just over 1 mil, then below in the demographics it has the 2010 population as 774K.  It doesn't explain where those demographics are coming from, as it's larger than Kent County alone but smaller than Kent/Ottawa combined, and there's no way it grew over a quarter million in five years.

MSA is defined as a principal county and all surrounding counties (without a major population center) who send at least 25% of their workforce to the principal county. CSA is when counties that have major population centers still send over 25% of their workforce to a different county. So GR's MSA doesn't contain Ottawa, Muskegon, or Allegan county (because Holland and Muskegon have their own MSAs) but the CSA does. MSA can change drastically when they reclassify counties in or out of a specific MSA. So in 2010 we were hovering around 3/4 of a million, after 2013 some counties were reclassified and we topped 1 million.

I track census numbers closely, the Wikipedia should be 100% up to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

MSA is defined as a principal county and all surrounding counties (without a major population center) who send at least 25% of their workforce to the principal county. CSA is when counties that have major population centers still send over 25% of their workforce to a different county. So GR's MSA doesn't contain Ottawa, Muskegon, or Allegan county (because Holland and Muskegon have their own MSAs) but the CSA does. MSA can change drastically when they reclassify counties in or out of a specific MSA. So in 2010 we were hovering around 3/4 of a million, after 2013 some counties were reclassified and we topped 1 million.

I track census numbers closely, the Wikipedia should be 100% up to date. 

The 774K figure actually is wrong, because after the 2013 reclassification (where they added Ottawa and Montcolm County, and dropped Newaygo), the Census retroactively applied it to their 2010 figures.

The Census now has the GR MSA 2010 population at about 989K.  The 774K stat is obsolete and shouldn't be appearing on Wikipedia anymore.

With the 2015 MSA estimate at 1.039 million, that's a gain of about 50,000, or 5%.  Fairly respectable.

Edited by RegalTDP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well to be fair I've only kept the GR population estimates up to date. If it isn't already changed, I'll update it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

You realize anybody can edit a Wikipedia page, right??  If this bothers you, you can go in and fix it yourself.

I realize what Wikipedia is, the part that bothers me is the numbers don't make sense and I dont know what the correct ones are so why would I edit it if I dont know what the correct information is?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By EastownLeo
      Looks like its coming if they can get investment.
       
      Where could a space like this be located?
       
      http://invest.techshop.ws/TS_GrandRapids.html
       
      http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/09/23/techshop-plans-grand-rapids-location-out-of-60-million-investment-offering/
       
      http://www.mitechnews.com/articles.asp?id=16138
       
      I have heard some rumors.
       
      Surprised this has not been mentioned.
    • By MTSUBlueraider86
      Here is the latest version of the Development Map. I have not listed the link for the larger older map because it became too unwieldy......Ron!
      http://www.communitywalk.com/nashville/tn/current_nashville_construction_/map/1690961
       

      http://www.skyscrape...Skyscraper News
      From Tim May
      http://www.nashville...owntownCode.pdf
      project database for Nashville
      http://www.facebook....111138045574263
      Historic Nashville, Inc. - http://www.facebook....ricnashvilleinc
      Save The Prison - page to help promote saving the historical TN St prison - http://www.facebook....anLandInstitute
      There are some other sites listed in other post. These are the main ones, but the list just got out of hand when combining all the sites.
    • By ledgerwm
      I did this post on the Grand Rapids Skywalk awhile back, and I just looked back at it and I realized, that I am missing a lot of information.  Specifically I am looking at some background and history on the Skywalk system in Grand Rapids.  How did it get started? Where was it started?  Why was it started?  That sort of thing.  I think it would be interesting to take a deeper look at this.  Also is the Skywalk a city initiative? Meaning do they fund and build it or is this built and paid for by the building owners themselves?  Or is it a combination of both?
       
      I also created this cool Bing Map which shows the Skywalk and identifies all the buildings that are attached to the skywalk.  I am telling you that Bird's Eye view on Bing is awesome.
       
      It also made me take a closer look at identifying the separate but unconnected skywalks on the Medical Mile and within the GRCC campus.  I never really thought of those examples either, but I guess I will throw those in as well. So if you have any information on those skywalk systems please let me know.
       
      Thanks for your help.