Nashville Sidewalks

nashbill

Sounds a little boring as a subject.  I assume Nashville has some code or rule or whatever it would be called that requires any new structure must have a sidewalk.  Other cities have it as well.  I do have a reason for typing this.  I noticed a while or so ago on Harding from I-24 to Nolensville Rd the stop and start sidewalks all along the area. And, surprisingly, there were people actually walking.  So they would have a nice cement sidewalk and then a dirt path.  I assume older buildings are exempt to this sidewalk rule.  Again, people were actually walking.

Now, go down Nolensville to say Concord Rd.  Again sidewalks and dirt.  Go past Kroger's and on the left side, there is a McDonalds and I think Taco Bell.  Between them are 2 almost identical cement switchback ramps for wheelchair accessibility from the sidewalk to the stores level.  These are right beside each other.  This is ridiculous.  A person in a wheel chair could probably never be able to get there because of, once again, the sidewalk/no sidewalk rule.  And I have not witnessed anyone walking anywhere around there anyhow.

I have an idea.  Instead of building sidewalks at the new structures, build them to fill in gaps.  The money would come from the new stores budgets as in the amount the store would have used to build it.  The city would fill in gaps in the needed sidewalks where people are actually walking.  The road in front of the new structures would have space for the future sidewalk.  I know the new stores would not like it, but, at least the sidewalks would be used in those areas that have partial sidewalks and eventually would get there sidewalk.  Also, it could eliminate the duplication of ramps like the ones by McD and Taco Bell.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A curiosity for me.  On the OHB/may be Hobson at this point, I 24 exit 62 in Antioch.  Giant TA truck stop.  If you travel to the red light pass the TA headed toward Murfreesboro road. Go straight at this light.  There is a cement stair case on the right side.  This does not look a residence stair case.  It is pretty wide.  Theres nothing there for the steps to go to.  I've lived here for 13 years and have always wondered what was there.  I know some of you historians out there might remember what these stairs went to.  Technically not a sidewalk, but didn't want another thread and it kind of goes with this subject.

Archived