Sign in to follow this  
cajun

Louisiana's tragic opioid epidemic

Louisiana has more opioid prescriptions than residents

http://www.wwltv.com/news/health/louisiana-has-more-opiod-prescriptions-than-residents/328637722

Louisiana is one of eight states that has more opioid prescriptions than it has residents. The state has the sixth highest prescription-per-capita rate at 1.03 pain-killer prescriptions written per Louisiana resident in 2015.

The over-prescription "crisis" is leading to addiction, more drug-related deaths and even higher insurance costs for the state, officials said.

Edited by cajun

Not a very pleasant topic.   I apologize for that.   As bad as it is, Louisiana isn't even in the top 3 among the worst states in the region.    We need to stay informed and stay vigilant, and recognize the problems when we see it.     This impacts a lot of people around us every day, and it seems to be an issue among people of all races and socioeconomic status.    It does ruin families, careers, and even ends lives.  

I started this to maybe provide a place to brainstorm and discuss what citizens and their elected officials can do about this very serious issue.

Hmm, the best idea I have is to increase education on natural remedies. I know stinging nettle helps headaches so it might be effective against other types of pain.

Nasty stuff ....new several people from the ole' neighborhood  that O'D on pills & heroin (no telling what else)...lives cut way too short

Kids these days snorting Xanex....scary

Not a pleasant topic...but it's a sad reality