Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

18 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Went to the Flea Market for the first time in probably a decade, it was great, hasn't changed at all it felt like.

Having said that, I can only imagine how terrible game day traffic would be if they put it down there.  We had a hard time getting in and we arrived around Noon.  Please, Nashville, do not put the MLS stadium down there.  Sure, it may help to revitalize the area but it would be the wrong thing for fans.

Think this location is the only option. 

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Just got back from Salt Lake City, where I was surprised to learn that Rio Tinto Stadium (home of Real Salt Lake) is basically in the suburbs next to a shopping center and high school.  Seemed to be a very odd location to me.

True.  However, Sandy is much more centrally located than downtown SLC, particularly to the fastest-growing areas of the Wasatch Front.  Plus, the stadium is located 2 blocks from a light rail station in one direction and 2 blocks from I-15 in the other direction; it really is super conveniently located.  It's also next door to the largest entertainment complex in Utah which means when people attend soccer games/concerts there, they tend to hang out in the neighborhood, especially if they took the streetcar.  (It probably didn't hurt that the land for the stadium was donated by a local construction company which shaved several million dollars off the cost of developing the stadium.)

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, grilled_cheese said:

Having said that, I can only imagine how terrible game day traffic would be if they put it down there.  We had a hard time getting in and we arrived around Noon.  Please, Nashville, do not put the MLS stadium down there.  Sure, it may help to revitalize the area but it would be the wrong thing for fans.

What if they cruised a light rail line straight down Nolensville at the same time? :D

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

What if they cruised a light rail line straight down Nolensville at the same time? 

Then, I'd think I was just translocated to a parallel universe. A place where things aren't only planned; they're executed in short order. Alas, I dream. But I like it!!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Anyone know if this article states anything more than what is in the headline?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/04/05/the-man-bringing-two-u-k-soccerteams-to-nashville.html

I hope he's right; couldn't access the entire article.

I have my tickets for USMNT v Panama and for MCFC v Tottenham...Come on City!  July is going to be crazy.

The Nashville Soccer Club, which will begin play in the USL starting in 2018, is sponsoring an under 23 developmental team to play various regional squads in 2017.

Link.

They will play the regular season games in the Vandy Football Stadium, but the Final Four games will be played in the Vanderbilt Lacrosse/Soccer Field.

Vandy%20womens%20field_zps2skof9tr.jpg

It looks like a good place for the permanent NSC team if seats could be added to the east side bringing the capacity to 5,000+. I suspect they may be aiming to use the football stadium instead.

SB NATION has released it's set of dubious power rankings for the MLS expansion candidates. Nashville is currently ranked 9th.

With the club still a year away from their USL debut that has to be the biggest mark against them. They are one of the clubs looking for public funds but the Nashville mayor is on board. Will the voters be?

Several cities have nice pictures of stadiums, but that's about all. At least Nashville has the land.

MLS%20Stadii_zpsxvuydtc5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville soccer CEO: How Music City can make MLS officials "take notice" this summer:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/04/26/nashville-soccer-ceo-how-music-city-can-make-m.html

Tickets in hand for both these matches; get your tickets!  I believe we will win....our MLS franchise bid!

• Like 3

Vandy is asking supporters if the would be ok with having Vanderbilt Football share a stadium with MLS soccer. Per the Tennessean.

Vanderbilt is asking its fans via a survey if they would attend football games at a “hypothetical stadium” shared with a Major League Soccer franchise.

Nashville is among 12 cities being considered for four MLS expansion franchises, and Mayor Megan Barry has proposed a “private-public partnership” for a new soccer stadium at The Fairgrounds Nashville.

Vanderbilt is polling undergraduates, season-ticket holders, single-game ticket buyers and other selected participants in a survey to “determine interest in holding some future athletics events in a new (MLS) stadium,” including football games, according to a university news release.

Not much is revealed about whether or not the stadium would be on campus. If they can get some commitment from the City and show a substantial private contribution, the proposal becomes more of a reality than just a picture. Then, I suppose, the MLS people can take a stadium plan to the league and say "See. We have more than a pretty rendering, we have an actual partnership with people who will actually help fund the stadium.

I know the MLS prefers a soccer only stadium, but if on-campus, the urban location with the mid-town, big city vibe seems to fit another requirement they have. And The Los Angeles Galaxy will be sharing their 30,000 seat Stub Hub stadium with the relocating NFL Chargers, so sharing is more common than not.

Sounds like this would be a win-win deal if the City is granted a franchise. And the deal would probably move us up the list of applicants significantly. I hope they can work this out. I'm glad to hear both parties are looking in this direction.

• Like 3

The Vanderbilt survey that went out was specifically focused on a shared stadium at the Fairgrounds. It was basically a series of questions asking, "if we give you these great amenities would you be willing to go to games at an off-campus stadium at the Fairgrounds".  Reaction among VU fans is very mixed.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, etimer13 said:

The Vanderbilt survey that went out was specifically focused on a shared stadium at the Fairgrounds. It was basically a series of questions asking, "if we give you these great amenities would you be willing to go to games at an off-campus stadium at the Fairgrounds".  Reaction among VU fans is very mixed.  

Thanks for the clarification. The Tennessean article didn't make that very clear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, etimer13 said:

The survey made it sound like alcohol sales inside the stadium might be limited to a Club area for Vandy games.

Gotcha. That's what they do here in Chattanooga for UTC games but alcohol is sold everywhere for the Chattanooga FC matches. 

Edited by Titans10

33 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Do they not sell alcohol on campus now? If not, why? My public university sold beer at various events on campus. Concerts, football games etc...

No general seat alcohol sales at sporting events; Southeastern Conference policy.

Edited by tragenvol