Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

New England Revolution's makes me laugh. That's so 90s.

So awesome, you mean. All of the original clubs should be required to keep their 90s logos. Same for the clubs ripping off old NASL names. And Miami should be coming back as the Fusion.

I'm also going to post the Nashville Metros crest one last time as an alternative to the NSC Crossfit crest.

Nashville_Metros_logo_2012.png

13 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

All the current teams logos I would think have been through a round or two of updates/refreshes. I know the Portland one has, I saw a article about it the other day that I can’t find now. 

Don't know about that article, but I love this video showing how well it went over with Timbers Army. Just fast forward to about 2:40. It's so funny and puts the reaction to Nashville SC logo in some context.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Yeah the logo looks pretty lifeless on that generic gear.

14 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Let's pray for an incredible stadium and surrounding development, and of course, multiple championships. 

If those leaked jerseys from earlier in this thread are legit I like those a lot.

• Like 1

I don't think it is bad. It def looks much better on the apparel but I don't know what the inspiration behind the design is. I feel like a logo/design shouldn't have to be explained as to why it looks a certain way. When I look at this I don't know why they designed it to look like this, which in my mind is a bit of a failure.

Also, why are some navy/yellow and others black/yellow?

1 minute ago, bigeasy said:

I don't think it is bad. It def looks much better on the apparel but I don't know what the inspiration behind the design is. I feel like a logo/design shouldn't have to be explained as to why it looks a certain way. When I look at this I don't know why they designed it to look like this, which in my mind is a bit of a failure.

Also, why are some navy/yellow and others black/yellow?

Oddly enough, the description on the merchandise calls it "purple".  Are we a gold and purple team?

^^ Purple sucks, and it is a high-bar to overcome for me to buy any merchandise with purple as a primary palette .... joking/not joking.

This guy nails my ambivalence towards the new NSC logo.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/demetriusbell/2019/02/20/major-league-soccer-mls-nashville-sc-logo-branding/#54e2949a778f

Nashville SC Tries To Make Soundwaves With Logo Unveiling

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

After finding themselves at the brink during the early 2000s, Major League Soccer has made plenty of strides since then and it's gotten to the point where the league is healthy, secure and expanding at a steady pace. MLS will be at 27 teams by the time the 2021 season rolls around, with two more teams coming into the league for 2020. One of those teams will be in Nashville, as Nashville Soccer Club will get thing rolling next year. Even though the already-existing Nashville SC in the USL has an identity of their own, the only thing that the USL's Nashville SC and MLS's Nashville SC will share is a color scheme.

Every city that has made the "promotion" from the lower leagues to MLS has done so with a new logo and Nashville is no exception to this rule. The team unveiled their inaugural logo for their arrival in MLS and it's an interesting design, to say the least.

If you're wondering what all of the lines and shapes are supposed to represent, then the club itself was happy to explain. The explanation is actually very simple, as the lines are meant to represent soundwaves. It's clear that the team is trying to invoke the city's rich history of music into their visual identity and it's an idea that has already been touched upon by the Nashville Predators in the NHL. Since refreshing their identity in 2011, the Predators currently utilize a guitar pick for a secondary logo and also have a set of horizontal lines placed within the numbers on the back of their jersey, which are meant to represent guitar strings.

So seeing Nashville SC go down the route of using music as a big part of their visual identity wasn't a huge shock. It's a great idea in theory but the execution may have been a bit off. Going back to the Predators, it was obvious at first glance what their secondary logo and even the lines in their numbers was supposed to represent. The fact that we needed a bit of an explanation from Nashville SC when it came to their logo is a sign that the execution may have come up short.

It's also a bit underwhelming when you compare Nashville's logo to new MLS logos that have been unveiled in recent years. Most of the expansion designs or rebrands have been successful as they've released logos that had a clear purpose and an aesthetic that was easy to point out instead of having to solve a mystery in order to figure out what was going on. You could argue that Atlanta United probably has the weakest crest out of all of the new looks that have been unveiled in recent years but even then, they managed to make lemonade out of the lemons by turning the "Five Stripes" motif into such a strong part of the club's identity.

While it remains to be seen if Nashville SC will do the same, they could have a tough road to climb when it comes to turning this look into something that could be considered timeless. While this isn't an ugly look, I could definitely see Nashville SC going back to the drawing board at some point in the future. Maybe the kits will serve as the saving grace for the club's visual identity but for now, it's a shot that hits the post instead of being a goal. It's close but not quite there.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:39 AM, hirtme said:

Don't know about that article, but I love this video showing how well it went over with Timbers Army. Just fast forward to about 2:40. It's so funny and puts the reaction to Nashville SC logo in some context.

That chant though..... :tw_joy:    "You f***ed up!! You f***ed up!!!"

I didn't think the logo design was THAT bad. But I'm not from Portland, so I can't really comment.

15 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

The social media aspect is getting a little confusing.  Is the MLS and USL teams sharing accounts?   The USL one has the MLS logo but it talking about the current USL friendlies.   Seems to be one/shared FB Page too?   Am I missing something?

Yeah it is confusing. The Nashville SC one has always been about the USL team, but now they have the MLS logo and are tweeting about both. Who knows.

6 minutes ago, henburg said:

The colors are not gold and purple, whatever said that was incorrect. I keep seeing the logo posted in poor quality that makes the blue look more purple, so that may be where the discrepancy came from. 

Oh.... Lol... I have deuteranopia (type of colorblindness), so I have trouble distinguishing between blue and purple