Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Ooooo-lala:  Lily Aldridge, who played soccer for much of her youth but is best-known as a Victoria's Secret Angel, has been named honorary co-chair of the expanded MLS2Nashville committee, alongside former Tennessee Titan-turned-actor Eddie George.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/05/12/ingram-hagerty-beef-up-nashvilles-mls-push.html

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing how awesomely crazy downtown is right now, I think the soccer club would make a mistake to build a stadium that's not within walking distance of downtown.  I really wish they could work out some kind of deal with the Titans to use some land next to Nissan Stadium.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

We may have moved up another notch on the list.

And San Diego's commission voted 8 to 1 to not put the measure on a ballot for approval. Most commentary indicates this is a huge setback. So....(in no particular order)

• St. Louis ?
  • Charlotte ?
  • San Diego?
  • Sacramento
  • Phoenix
  • Raleigh
  • San Antonio
  • Detroit
  • Cincinnati
  • Indianapolis
  • Tampa
  • Nashville

Of the remaining, I think we're a little ahead of Raleigh, almost even with Indy, Cincy, San Antonio. We're probably a little behind Detroit and Phoenix and way behind Tampa and Sacramento. Our advantages are a solid, strong ownership group, diverse and growing population, a stadium plan (site and funding) coming in to focus, and our TV market (29th).

Nashville is not a long shot, but it is on the outside looking in, hoping Detroit and Phoenix can't get their acts together. However, if Raleigh comes up with a stadium plan, they could move ahead based on the size of the North Carolina market.

And I've read about rumors that the European Leagues may be looking into expansion in the US. Don't laugh, but Nashville would be the 5th largest MSA-ish city in Great Britain...:tw_open_mouth:

• Greater London – 8,173,941
  • West Midlands (B'ham) – 2,736,460
  • Greater Manchester – 2,682,528
  • West Yorkshire (Leeds-Bradford) – 2,226,058
  • Nashville, TN 1.9 million
  • Merseyside (L'pool) – 1,381,189
  • South Yorkshire (Sheffield) – 1,343,601
  • Tyne & Wear (Newcastle) – 1,104,825

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

. We're probably a little behind Detroit and Phoenix and way behind Tampa and Sacramento. Our advantages are a solid, strong ownership group, diverse and growing population, a stadium plan (site and funding) coming in to focus, and our TV market (29th).

Nashville is not a long shot, but it is on the outside looking in,

Agreed.  Not to be a Debbie Downer, but when compared to those five cities, Nashville is the least diverse, has the smallest TV market, and the least developed stadium plan.  Like you said, it is probably going to take one of those four markets having a catastrophic unforeseen failure in their stadium development plan in order for Nashville to have a shot this go-around.  

• Like 2

On 6/5/2017 at 4:11 PM, titanhog said:

After seeing how awesomely crazy downtown is right now, I think the soccer club would make a mistake to build a stadium that's not within walking distance of downtown.  I really wish they could work out some kind of deal with the Titans to use some land next to Nissan Stadium.

The largest parking lot to the East of Nissan Stadium should be left alone for when they build the next stadium.  I believe they should target the TA Nashville/Stadium Inn property or the PSC Metals land.

Putting it anywhere else would be a mistake.

25 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

The largest parking lot to the East of Nissan Stadium should be left alone for when they build the next stadium.  I believe they should target the TA Nashville/Stadium Inn property or the PSC Metals land.

Putting it anywhere else would be a mistake.

I agree.  It needs to be somewhere just across the river.  Sure wish we could get a hold of the scrapyard land.

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

I hate that this is behind the paywall, but the mayor is saying what I've been saying:  "I have to tell you if you were an MLS official and you watched any fan participation for the Predators, I can't believe you wouldn't think this is a place that would be as supportive of a soccer team."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/06/13/why-mayor-barry-thinks-the-predators-success-will.html

Yes, but a lot of that exuberance was produced by having an arena situated near the personality of Lower Broad.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 8:36 AM, tragenvol said:

Wishing the stadium would be in a good place as well.

In other news, only thirteen days until USA v Panama.  See you there.

Does anyone have an idea of how ticket sales are going for the Gold Cup game as well as the Premier League matchup?
I read somewhere that the upper deck sections had to be opened up because of strong ticket sales for the Gold Cup..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Does anyone have an idea of how ticket sales are going for the Gold Cup game as well as the Premier League matchup?
I read somewhere that the upper deck sections had to be opened up because of strong ticket sales for the Gold Cup..

35,000 for CONCACAF.  I don't have any information regarding City v Hotspur ticket sales other than local radio spots touting ticket availability.