Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

https://www.mls2nashville.com/single-post/2017/06/28/Major-League-Soccer-Commissioner-Don-Garber-to-Visit-Nashville

Let's pray attendance is great, the commissioner comes back impressed, and the meetings go well!

I wish he'd come a few weeks ago during the NHL playoffs -- he really would've been impressed by the way Nashville can get behind its teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Sport Illustrated says that the attrition rate on MLS expansion city applications linked to stadium issues could be high...

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/06/29/sports-illustrated-mls-stadium-requirement-could.html

I have a feeling that if we can start out with a fully funded proposal, we'll stand a very good chance of getting a team.  I think a lot will depend on how much $$ the private group (owners) are willing to put in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

I have a feeling that if we can start out with a fully funded proposal, we'll stand a very good chance of getting a team.

Agreed. I gave this a 20% shot a few months ago. But with the latest developments  (other cities dropping out, Nashville's incredible and highly visible NHL support and N'ville mls stadium funding sources ) - I'd give us better than even, say 60%. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2017 at 9:22 AM, PHofKS said:

Greater London – 8,173,941

• West Midlands (B'ham) – 2,736,460
  • Greater Manchester – 2,682,528
  • West Yorkshire (Leeds-Bradford) – 2,226,058
  • Nashville, TN 1.9 million
  • Merseyside (L'pool) – 1,381,189
  • South Yorkshire (Sheffield) – 1,343,601
  • Tyne & Wear (Newcastle) – 1,104,825

Where is Glasgow? The greater region is 1.7m+ according to Wikipedia.

You have to remember with those numbers in Great Britain is that there are no other major competing sports, like Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, not to mention all of the major collegiate sports. Yes there are some basketball franchises there, but sports is dominated by soccer.

• Like 4

Cricket....there's cricket.  A few years back a buddy and I were in the basement bar of the restaurant across from our hotel just tucked away from the Thames and the heart of London.  The restauranteur offered us primo tickets to cricket's World Cup hosted by England...we politely refused the offer.  He said he understood...as it was a bit like our baseball.

5 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Cricket....there's cricket.  A few years back a buddy and I were in the basement bar of the restaurant across from our hotel just tucked away from the Thames and the heart of London.  The restauranteur offered us primo tickets to cricket's World Cup hosted by England...we politely refused the offer.  He said he understood...as it was a bit like our baseball.

And rugby.  The Brits are nuts for rugby.

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

Fortunately, the proper planning was in place so that all that was impacted were a few seats in an empty stadium, not a car, a house, or people. I'd say we mitigated the risks well.

• Like 2

Nashville Scene's cover story this week is about our chances of landing an MLS franchise:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/news/cover-story/article/20866401/football-town-hockey-town-soccer-city

Also a side-bar story about the other cities we are in competition with:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/news/cover-story/article/20866402/who-is-nashville-competing-with-for-an-mls-team

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 4.51.53 PM.png

• Like 3

On 6/29/2017 at 0:14 PM, markhollin said:

Sport Illustrated says that the attrition rate on MLS expansion city applications linked to stadium issues could be high...

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/06/29/sports-illustrated-mls-stadium-requirement-could.html

Haha! So as of now, the only city which meets that standard is Sacramento. :tw_grin:

Luckily for the other cities who have submitted a bid, Sacramento has just about everything else going against it (small market, flaky owners, another competing team within a relatively short distance, etc.).

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 4:17 PM, PruneTracy said:

Of all the quasi-political discussions we have here, the issue of Scottish clubs in the Premier League is about to be the most out-of-place.

200.gif

My post was in response to following sentence: "Don't laugh, but Nashville would be the 5th largest MSA-ish city in Great Britain... ". The list provided is incorrect as it omits Glasgow. This is what I noted in my post.

10 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

My post was in response to following sentence: "Don't laugh, but Nashville would be the 5th largest MSA-ish city in Great Britain... ". The list provided is incorrect as it omits Glasgow. This is what I noted in my post.

I cut and pasted it as is from wiki. Their list probably should have included Glasgow. My point was and still is that Nashville compares favorably in market size to most British cities. Adding Glasgow doesn't change my point at all.

And I like Glasgow. I haven't been there, but my daughter spent the summer there once on my dime.

• Like 1