Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

I appreciate the sentiment of a Fairgrounds stadium, but I think that it would be a big mistake to not put the stadium downtown for a couple of reasons-

First, stadiums may not generate as much economic growth as we previously thought they did according to some recent studies (here's one link, but there are more if you google: http://news.stanford.edu/2015/07/30/stadium-economics-noll-073015/ ). So while it may have a small effect on the surrounding area, I'm not sure it would spur a complete revitalization that would be worth taking the gamble. Second, while it would be convenient for the stadium to be near to our immigrant populations, I don't think that they need to be sold on soccer like the rest of Nashville may. To put it simply, a downtown location gives a potential MLS club visibility that the Fairgrounds location does not. Finally, I think that after witnessing the Predators historic Stanley Cup run, it became clear how much that downtown's amenities fed into the incredible atmosphere and energy. A fairgrounds stadium could never hope to have that kind of atmosphere without a total upheaval of the surrounding neighborhood. On top of all of these, I feel that proposing a stadium downtown would increase the chances of receiving a bid immensely. In fact if I remember correctly, every MLS expansion stadium from the past ~10 years has included a downtown stadium. I will support a Nashville club no matter where they play, but I think that I would definitely prefer a downtown location for their stadium. 

Edited by henburg
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 10:20 PM, grilled_cheese said:

I checked Ticketbeotch today and there are no seats available in the lower bowl for this game......

For sure this will hit 50K, and the recent record will have been broken...hoping for 60K.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Titans10 said:

"The MLS2Nashville Committee will present their vision for an MLS facility located at the Nashville Fairgrounds," Briley said. "While details on financing and other specifics have not been finalized, this offers the first opportunity for the city and council members to understand the expansion bid and see firsthand what a future home for a professional soccer team might look like in our city."

....sounds like a rendering is finally coming!!!  :tw_cookie:

img

• Like 2

Bummer, looks like Ticketmaster is re-releasing tickets back to the public so the available tickets look to have doubled since titanhog posted. 

Checking a major ticket re sellers site it doesn't look like they have too much more inventory than TM and prices seem to be holding at about face value for the lower bowl while the upper deck values are pretty low $27 on the edges but holding above face for the mid field sections.

I'll be interested to check back around 3pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

Bummer, looks like Ticketmaster is re-releasing tickets back to the public so the available tickets look to have doubled since titanhog posted. 

Checking a major ticket re sellers site it doesn't look like they have too much more inventory than TM and prices seem to be holding at about face value for the lower bowl while the upper deck values are pretty low $27 on the edges but holding above face for the mid field sections.

I'll be interested to check back around 3pm.

so.. what does that mean

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

so.. what does that mean

I enjoy watching ticket pricing for major events and while every event is different you can recognize patterns and correlate them to other things.

Ticketmaster/the venue/whoever is involved in the event usually has tickets that are held back for staff/families/suits/etc and you will usually see those getting tossed back into the general pile for sale if they are not all given away, for whatever reason.  There is a slight chance that these are buybacks getting tossed back in but I highly doubt that.  I was hoping to see those lower bowl seats stay sold but I was expecting some re-releases today.

I bring up the secondary market tickets as that will be an additional indicator of demand for the event.  Lets say the Titans started off really hot this year and everyone went and bought out the rest of the season.  Not only are the tickets via the primary seller sold out but you will see inflated prices on the secondary market.  Now, lets say the Titans lose 5 games in a row and fall out of PO contention.  You will obviously see demand drop, the secondary market flooded with tickets, and the prices will drop because no one wants to go.  I was simply bringing up how strong the prices were on the secondary market to further illustrate demand.  It's a bit different with a permanent team over the course of a season versus a one off game between two foreign clubs but it's fun to track and follow.

I pointed out 3pm because that's probably around the time that people are either leaving, already downtown, and/or likely when Ticketmaster stops selling tickets online.  So, that will probably be our last chance to see what final demand looks like.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

The commentators are complaining about the heat..  Hydration beak coming up, however!!!   :tw_cookie:

Haha!!  If they had played this game any day this past week instead of today, they would have REALLY complained!  Today is like a spring day in comparison.

• Like 1