Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

I agree completely about the Arena football comparison.  I actually prefer Nashville SC because, and I admit this is a bit of a silly nitpick, but as a longtime fan of European 'football,'  I kind of cringe when I see American clubs try to mimic European club names as if they just think that's what you're supposed to do... "Real Salt Lake?" Seriously?  DC United?  Come on now... and I think we should go with SC over FC because people, of course, call it soccer here and we should embrace that.  That being said, in the end, I would enthusiastically support the club being called Nashville FC over one of those Office dodge ball league sounding names.  lol

I hear ya.    It might also get confused with Nashville Fight Club.  haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

I hear ya.    It might also get confused with Nashville Fight Club.  haha 

I prefer FC.  Someone posted earlier about utilizing the MCFC acronym; although, mimicking Man City, Music City Football Club would be just brilliant when used to informally refer to Nashville FC.  I can live with Nashville SC, but MCFC would be fantastic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

I'm surprised that First Tennessee Park wasn't designed to better accommodate a soccer pitch in the layout of the field walls. Surely Metro and the Sounds anticipated that it would be used for soccer or football eventually, if not for a full-time tenant then at least for the occasional event.

But recall that FTP was designed on the fly and on a shoestring budget.    The planning, budget, design and council approval of the park were rammed through in 2013, and then the design was pared back further due to budget constraints.     The result was a minimalist building and vanilla exterior design, although I do think the field and interior fan spaces and amenities are actually quite nice.  I won't say the planners didn't consider a soccer conversion (because I have no idea), but it almost certainly would have been ruled out on the basis of cost.  

2 hours ago, CenterHill said:

I won't say the planners didn't consider a soccer conversion (because I have no idea), but it almost certainly would have been ruled out on the basis of cost.  

It's not really a conversion, though, nor does it really cost anything. All you have to do is lay a template of a soccer pitch and the associated buffers (for player safety, for bench areas, etc.) over the baseball diamond and make sure the walls and fences down the foul lines and in the outfield don't encroach on that template.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where Detroit, Cincinnati, and Phoenix are in the process? I know Detroit's situation is moving forward with Rock Ventures proposal, but the real question is whether Rock Ventures will have everything a go (i.e. Country approves bond purchase relocation for jail site) before December. 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FrankNash said:

Two very reliable sources have told me that Vanderbilt will support the plan to share a  stadium with the Nashville FC at the fairgrounds.   Expect to hear an announcement from Vanderbilt in the near future.

I'm hearing similar affirmations from my Vandy booster/Commodore Club/trustee connections. 

• Like 3

I'm hearing similar affirmations from my Vandy booster/Commodore Club/trustee connections. 

I'm all for supporting soccer, but I think this would be a huge mistake for Vandy. And I have yet to meet almost any Vandy fans who are happy about the move. I may end up being proven wrong, but IMO this would be a decision for Vandy that's penny wise and pound foolish.
  • Like 2

There are lots of colleges out there with off-campus stadiums including some very storied and successful programs:

Just off the top of my head:

• Miami (FL)
  • South Carolina
  • Washington
  • UCLA
  • Colorado State
  • NCState
  • USF
  • Pittsburgh
  • Memphis
  • San Diego State
  • Northwestern
  • Hawaii

If the only way Nashville can get a MLS team is if Vandy shares the stadium, I'm all for it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

To be honest, if you gave me the choice between invigorating the local economy with out-of-town dollars and having Alabama fans enter the state, or no dollars and no Alabama fans, I mean, it's a tough decision.

Edit: What if they just put their money in an envelope and mailed it to us? I think that's a good compromise.

As an Auburn alumnus,  that's pretty hard not to like. Funny stuff. Some old friends visiting from Atlanta this coming weekend for the game and staying with me. They are Alabama alumni. I'm going to the game in Black & Gold. Praying for a miracle. I love my friends, but dang.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

There are lots of colleges out there with off-campus stadiums including some very storied and successful programs:

Exactly!! And for the record, most - if not all - of those programs are much more successful than Vandy's on-campus stadium. I'm even considering whether alcohol could then be served at a football game, if it were off campus. That might draw a few more folks.....(it'd certainly draw me).

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

To be honest, if you gave me the choice between invigorating the local economy with out-of-town dollars and having Alabama fans enter the state, or no dollars and no Alabama fans, I mean, it's a tough decision.

Edit: What if they just put their money in an envelope and mailed it to us? I think that's a good compromise.

As an Alabama fan, I still think this is hilarious! And to be honest, if I wasn't a Bama fan, I'd feel the same way. We can be insufferable. 

• Like 1