Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Points above well taken. And maybe I will be proven wrong. But in my opinion the fairgrounds will be a mistake. It certainly will be a way to save money on a new stadium, but again I think that's penny wise and pound foolish.

We moved to Nashville bc my wife works for Vandy. And we have really enjoyed Vandy games. But being on campus is a huge part of the college football experience, at least to me. That's why I really don't care for the whole neutral site thing.

I think there's something about being on campus that is a big atmospheric plus. There are other facilities around for gameday, and you feel connected to the actual university, not just the experience of being at a football game.

Plus, the West End location means you have so much around you, you can be over in Centennial Park, walk to eat on West End, and get a hotel room in walking distance (if you're from out of town).

On the point about space, I don't really get that. There's plenty of space to build a new stadium across Natchez Trace from the REC center, and you preserve your proximity to the football building etc, then you can demolish the existing stadium and use that space for labs, dorms, etc.

Anyway, I just think if they take this route to a cheaper capital outlay in the short run it will be to the detriment of the program for the long term. But who knows ,,, maybe I will be proven wrong!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flatrock said:

I'm even considering whether alcohol could then be served at a football game, if it were off campus. That might draw a few more folks.....(it'd certainly draw me).

Negative Ghost Rider.  Home games for Vandy,  even at an off campus stadium, would not produce alcohol sales.  SEC says no.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Negative Ghost Rider.  Home games for Vandy,  even at an off campus stadium, would not produce alcohol sales.  SEC says no.

Ah, bummer. Well, it was a short lived dream. Thanks for dashing my hopes on the rocks of reality! ACC does it - and I'm envious. :)

• Like 1

Just my two cents...

As a graduate of Memphis, I've been to campus once since I graduated and that was only to show my girlfriend. I've been back to Memphis for 4 football games since I've moved to San Antonio (3 years ago)...if Memphis had an on campus stadium, that would be 4 trips back to campus which would probably better direct my donations for things that I visually see need improving. I currently donate to the general scholarship fund (not to one of the programs from which I graduated). 

If Vandy isn't worried about alumni returning to campus or having say so on stadium operations, then full steam ahead, but I can tell you that I seriously think the UofM would be in a better place both financially and in regards to alumni participation if there were a reason for 35 to 50 thousand people to go to campus 7 times a year. Obviously Vandy is recognized by a majority of people for things not related to sports so it might not impact them in a way it would a public state school, but it's an option worth weighing. Typically, for state schools at least, when teams are playing well, donations and applications for admission go up. School pride goes up and for me, my wallet typically opens up. I'd probably better direct my donations if I knew of a specific academic department or college that needed money for an investment on improving their standing...that typically doesn't happen unless you return to campus, at least from what I've experienced. 

major issue is who operates the stadium. There's nothing worse than being a special need tenant in a stadium where you don't have the final word on game day operations.  Help me out, would Metro operate this stadium? Then again, I guess that all hinges on whether or not Nashville is selected and who the owners are. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, arkitekte said:

There's nothing worse than being a special need tenant in a stadium where you don't have the final word on game day operations.

Ironically, this is the reason Major League Soccer has been pushing soccer-specific stadiums in the first place.

And on that note...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-sp-mls-commissioner-don-garber-soccer-specific-stadiums-20170916-story.html

It seems MLS may be walking back that trend in the wake of the successes in Atlanta and Seattle.

12 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Ironically, this is the reason Major League Soccer has been pushing soccer-specific stadiums in the first place.

And on that note...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/on-the-pitch/os-sp-mls-commissioner-don-garber-soccer-specific-stadiums-20170916-story.html

It seems MLS may be walking back that trend in the wake of the successes in Atlanta and Seattle.

Yes...as they should.  MLS is hopefully trending in the right direction, but they still need to tread lightly on their demands until they rise up to the NFL / NBA / MLB level.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yes...as they should.  MLS is hopefully trending in the right direction, but they still need to tread lightly on their demands until they rise up to the NFL / NBA / MLB level.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but I think that MLS francises having their own stadiums will go a long way in increasing populatiry and making MLS look More "big time".  Sharing stadiums that are obviously the primary tenants gives MLS sort of a second rate feel, at least for me.  Yes, there are professional franchises that share stadiums with college or other pro teams, but for a league that isn't extremely popular, I think anything to make the experience truly unique is needed. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arkitekte said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but I think that MLS francises having their own stadiums will go a long way in increasing populatiry and making MLS look More "big time".  Sharing stadiums that are obviously the primary tenants gives MLS sort of a second rate feel, at least for me.  Yes, there are professional franchises that share stadiums with college or other pro teams, but for a league that isn't extremely popular, I think anything to make the experience truly unique is needed. 

For me the MLS has a second rate feel because it IS a second rate league. That's not to say I wouldn't want a team here (for the city's sake, as for myself soccer is like watching paint dry). But if the MLS decides to hardball over Vandy sharing the stadium, I hope that the powers that be don't decide to throw a ton of public money at them to get them to change their minds. 

• Like 1

They will already have a stake in this because they own the land, and yes you can bet that Metro tax dollars will be involved. Millions have already got a holding place in the budget, but as of yet not voted on. It was at least 50 million but may have been as high as 100 million. I don't remember.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

They will already have a stake in this because they own the land, and yes you can bet that Metro tax dollars will be involved. Millions have already got a holding place in the budget, but as of yet not voted on. It was at least 50 million but may have been as high as 100 million. I don't remember.

$50 million, unless that budget line item has increased.

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

I've already seen one group mentioned on the news state that they are going to fight the public funding portion of this and attempt to rally citizens to push for a referendum before any funds are allocated.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:38 PM, titanhog said:

I've already seen one group mentioned on the news state that they are going to fight the public funding portion of this and attempt to rally citizens to push for a referendum before any funds are allocated.

Two things:  the city council will decide whether or not to have a public referendum; thus, this group is applying applying targeted pressure; and as I understand it, $50 million has already been allocated.   All making for an interesting news day tomorrow.

• Like 2