Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

Not good:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/land-swap-agreement-clears-major-hurdle-for-mls-stadium-in-detroit?page=2

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2017/10/05/gilbert-and-gores-are-one-step-closer-to-getting-their-detroit-soccer-stadium-and-youre-one-step-closer-to-paying-for-it

The preliminary land swap deal announced by city officials today will require approval from Detroit City Council, the Wayne County Commission, and the Wayne County Land Bank Board.
The county is also still waiting to hear whether the IRS will let it use bond money that was supposed to be spent to construct the jail at its Gratiot location. The county is seeking to use that money for the new jail complex

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/10/05/american-motors-ddot-gilbert-jail-proposal/688929001/

Under the agreement, both the city and county have the ability to conduct a due diligence investigation of properties, along with environmental tests. If the city isn't satisfied with the results, it has the right to receive the fair market value for the property.

But unlike the city, the county has the option to terminate the agreement altogether,  if not satisfied. The agreement also requires that both Evans and Duggan agree to "support and not object to any tax incentive or financial incentives" proposed for the respective properties they relinquished in the deal.

But if the county doesn't reach a development and purchase agreement with Rock Ventures and win the necessary approvals by  Feb. 1, 2018, the land swap agreement could be terminated

Hopefully we can get our funding approved before December, and the Detroit bureaucracy causes delays. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Confused 1

Supporters of Nashville's fairgrounds blasted Mayor Megan Barry's proposal for a $250 million Major League Soccer stadium during a packed meeting Thursday night that showed a lingering mistrust from past fights over the Metro-owned property.  

The occasion — a public comment session provided by the Metro fair board — gave auto racing, state fair and flea market enthusiasts their first chance to publicly weigh in on a plans to build an MLS stadium at the fairgrounds.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/10/05/nashville-fairgounds-mls-stadium-criticized-public-meeting/738257001/

18 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The occasion — a public comment session provided by the Metro fair board — gave auto racing, state fair and flea market enthusiasts their first chance to publicly weigh in on a plans to build an MLS stadium at the fairgrounds

Yep. Old Nashville vs. New Nashville.  It'll be interesting. :)

• Like 2

Metro is already changing some thoughts on the leasing of 10 acres of fairgrounds land to the MLS ownership group:

Less than a week after rolling out its plan, the mayor's office has decided to direct "a significant portion" of tax revenue generated at that private development — which Metro COO Rich Riebeling had previously said would return to the city — to the fairgrounds property.

Here's how Sean Braisted, Barry's spokesman, framed the decision:

"In consulting with Fairgrounds Nashville Executive Director Laura Schloesser, members of the Fair Board, and advocates for the Fairgrounds, the Mayor’s Office agrees that a significant portion of the property tax revenues generated from any commercial development on the +/- 10 acres of underutilized land at the site should go towards investments in the long-term success of the Fairgrounds Nashville and the many events hosted at this location. We are working on language in the resolution to approve the Stadium agreement that would do just that."

Full story here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/10/06/metro-tweaking-mls-stadium-plan-in-response-to.html

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I bet that was an interesting group of people...

I was thinking that too. I would LOVE to know the demographics on those opposed. 

I say TEAR IT DOWN. An old racetrack and a dumpy flea market? Summon the bulldozers please.

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I bet that was an interesting group of people...

Hey man, say what you want about the merits of auto racing, but you can never accuse the fans of not being interesting! :D

19 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Metro is already changing some thoughts on the leasing of 10 acres of fairgrounds land to the MLS ownership group:

Less than a week after rolling out its plan, the mayor's office has decided to direct "a significant portion" of tax revenue generated at that private development — which Metro COO Rich Riebeling had previously said would return to the city — to the fairgrounds property.

Here's how Sean Braisted, Barry's spokesman, framed the decision:

"In consulting with Fairgrounds Nashville Executive Director Laura Schloesser, members of the Fair Board, and advocates for the Fairgrounds, the Mayor’s Office agrees that a significant portion of the property tax revenues generated from any commercial development on the +/- 10 acres of underutilized land at the site should go towards investments in the long-term success of the Fairgrounds Nashville and the many events hosted at this location. We are working on language in the resolution to approve the Stadium agreement that would do just that."

Full story here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/10/06/metro-tweaking-mls-stadium-plan-in-response-to.html

I'm cool with that, seems like a good compromise and a good way to get everyone on the same page. 

• Like 3

Good to hear... hopefully it will answer questions and reaffirm the investment in The Fairgrounds. 

2 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I was thinking that too. I would LOVE to know the demographics on those opposed. 

I say TEAR IT DOWN. An old racetrack and a dumpy flea market? Summon the bulldozers please.

I think the racetrack (and anything old) can be very cool if renovated. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Despite very little funding and deteriorating conditions the track and flea market area have been drawing tens of thousands of fans from inside and outside of Nashville for decades. I think it's shortsighted to tear every bit of it down in order to build a stadium for a league nobody watches because you might have problems with the "demographics" of the fairgrounds loyalists. They can coexist and both sides can be happy. 

I definitely don't think they're going to tear down the track (pretty sure they're going to give them $$ to upgrade, at least a little).  As for the flea market / fair buildings...I hope they tear those down and rebuild, maybe even in a different area of the land.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

This proposal by the Barry administration is far from "giving the finger to the people....". The original proposal was to make millions of investment into the existing facilities, and now the administration has listened to people's concerns and have already amended their proposal to make even more investment into The Fairgrounds. 

I find some of these people against the MLS stadium proposal to be quite unreasonable.

I hope and pray the latest amendment will work out for all sides. 

True, but I was referring more to some of the condescending comments from posters in this forum about those Nashvillians who like flea markets and car races.

• Like 3

I can't believe this is even a discussion right now. A major league sport vs a flea market. Seriously guys? There are a hundred flea markets around the area. They sell old rusty tools and cheaply mad hats at those too. I'm quite sure ' tens of thousands'. And how is anyone giving anyone a finger. I don't even understand that sentence. And as far as a state fair, guess what it will just move to a location if need be, or in the stadium, who cares. Neither of those will bring the cash flow of a major league sport, not in a million years. Also every county has a fair just hit one if their death machines and eat their unhealthy funnel cakes. What is happening in this forum?!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NissanvilleTitans said:

I can't believe this is even a discussion right now. A major league sport vs a flea market. Seriously guys? There are a hundred flea markets around the area. They sell old rusty tools and cheaply mad hats at those too. I'm quite sure ' tens of thousands'. And how is anyone giving anyone a finger. I don't even understand that sentence. And as far as a state fair, guess what it will just move to a location if need be, or in the stadium, who cares. Neither of those will bring the cash flow of a major league sport, not in a million years. Also every county has a fair just hit one if their death machines and eat their unhealthy funnel cakes. What is happening in this forum?!

"Major league sport" 

IMG_1013.GIF

• Haha 1