Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

"MLS chief Don Garber outlines criteria for next round of league expansion"

Here is the latest from the MLS Commissioner:

There are 22 MLS teams presently, including Minnesota and Atlanta, who start this year. Los Angeles FC starts play the year after, and Miami should begin some time not long after that. That will bring the league to 24 teams.

The league is planning to expand to 28 teams. Prospective cities have until January 31, 2017 to submit bids. Review will take place during the first 6 months of 2017, and teams 25 and 26 will be named some time during the third quarter of 2017. There is currently no timeline for when teams 27 and 28 will be chosen.

New teams will be required to pay the $150 million expansion fee (up from $10 million in 2007).

Ten cities have expressed interest so far, and they are Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

The three criteria for selection are:

1. A committed local ownership
  2. A market with a long history of fan support in a desirable geographic location capable of attracting sponsors and television partners
  3. A comprehensive stadium plan

Sacramento and St. Louis appear to be the furthest along in satisfying the league's criteria, but stay tuned.

Full Article: http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/story/3020615/mls-commissioner-don-garber-details-next-round-of-expansion

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I don't know if we can beat out all of those other cities or not.  You can really knock it down to 9 cities, because there's no way Charlotte AND Raleigh/Durham would both get one.

Agreed. Nor do I think they'll franchise 2 California teams. Additionally, Cincy is mighty close to Columbus - who already have an MLS team. I think the 10 goes to 7, competing for 4 teams. Then again, what do I know? Obviously, we've (in the royal sense) gotta cough up 150mm and have a great stadium plan. Crossing fingers... 

• Like 2

Random question for y'all...I was thinking about the sports in nashville...we have NFL and NHL already. NBA is already in Memphis so the chances of Nashville getting one is slim..so that leaves MLS and MLB.

So here's the question, would you rather have MLB or MLS in Nashville?  MLB is possible, the TB Rays and the Oakland Athletics are looking to relocate somewhere...and we're deep in the discussion of MLS here, so which one would you choose?

I'd say MLS, primarily because I don't think Nashville is anywhere near large enough to have three "big four" pro sports franchises, and baseball requires an especially large market because along with the stadiums being two or three times the capacity of an MLS stadium or NHL arena, there are also two or three times as many home games.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

Random question for y'all...I was thinking about the sports in nashville...we have NFL and NHL already. NBA is already in Memphis so the chances of Nashville getting one is slim..so that leaves MLS and MLB.

So here's the question, would you rather have MLB or MLS in Nashville?  MLB is possible, the TB Rays and the Oakland Athletics are looking to relocate somewhere...and we're deep in the discussion of MLS here, so which one would you choose?

Hard decision.  MLB is bigger now, of course...but I really think MLS could be the sport of the future in the U.S.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Hard decision.  MLB is bigger now, of course...but I really think MLS could be the sport of the future in the U.S.

Very valid point stated here!!! I read articles about baseball being an "old,dying" sport and that people only watch it when it's playoffs time, so I agree. I also read that soccer is the fastest growing sport in the country.

A little more info...

But Garber also added: "Nashville is very early into this. I think we met with them for the first time in the last few months. They're not nearly as advanced as many other markets."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/15/major-league-soccer-chief-nashvilles-a-contender.html

Sounds to me like we better already have a location for the stadium decided upon...as well as how to finance it...laid out...or we're already too late.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'd say MLS, primarily because I don't think Nashville is anywhere near large enough to have three "big four" pro sports franchises, and baseball requires an especially large market because along with the stadiums being two or three times the capacity of an MLS stadium or NHL arena, there are also two or three times as many home games.  

You've gotta factor in population outside of the Nashville metro area as well though. The whole state of Tennessee, Southern Kentucky and Northern Alabama would be the fandom footprint. I absolutely think Nashville is large enough to support MLB and the NBA on top of what they already have. I've mentioned this in another thread and I'm a huge Grizzlies fan, but they should have came to Nashville. Memphis has embraced the Grizzlies fairly well, VERY well around playoff time, but let's be realistic. Memphis has nowhere near the footprint Nashville has and most likely never will. 

8 minutes ago, Tim29tn said:

You've gotta factor in population outside of the Nashville metro area as well though. The whole state of Tennessee, Southern Kentucky and Northern Alabama would be the fandom footprint. I absolutely think Nashville is large enough to support MLB and the NBA on top of what they already have. I've mentioned this in another thread and I'm a huge Grizzlies fan, but they should have came to Nashville. Memphis has embraced the Grizzlies fairly well, VERY well around playoff time, but let's be realistic. Memphis has nowhere near the footprint Nashville has and most likely never will. 

I won't necessarily disagree with this, but other things other than population have to be taken into consideration, which we all know. For the NBA, if Nashville had been a contender for a franchise prior to the Preds and shortly thereafter Titans relocating to Nashville, I would completely agree. Now, not so much. Now, to speak on something that would back up your thought on the Grizz in Nashville, I believe reading that the Grizz 2012 game 6 that they won to advance to the WCF drew a higher TV rating in Nashville than any Preds game had at that time...now that may be simply because Tennesseans are much more familiar with basketball than hockey. 

If you look at the metros that have all big four franchises (and sometimes multiple in one league), they're massive. All big four (I'm sure I'm missing some, but Chicago, Boston, Dallas (Ft. Worth and supposedly all of America for one team), Miami, DC, Philly, Denver, LA, MSP, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose) not only have massive populations, but also the television sets and corporate presence needed for support. 

Could Nashville support both MLB and NBA along with the NFL and NHL? When considering population, television market and corporate presence, I don't think so at all. What's great about the NHL and somewhat the NFL is there's not a natural regional team for people to cheer for (outside of the Cowboys, I guess). With an MLB franchise, are people going to buy season tickets? TV Market share having to compete with STL and ATL would be pretty tough. Would the MLB or NBA expand in markets that they already have locked down? 

In regards to Memphis and the Grizzlies, Memphis is a basketball town through and through. There have been previous ABA teams in Memphis and the idea of professional basketball there has been something that's been around in theory since the 1970's. 

UTGrad, can you (I think it was you) find the data for which metros can legitimately support their franchises that you posted a few years ago? 

In regards to an MLS  franchise, knock San Antonio off of the list for contenders...I doubt it will happen here. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I get weary of people declaring the demise of baseball.  MLB attendance again last year was over 73 million--that is more than the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS, and NASCAR combined. Think about it: 31,131 average between all major league teams...multiplied by a staggering 2,428 games. Granted, the NFL and NBA have higher national TV ratings, but when you tally all the local/regional televised game coverage of MLB teams, the numbers are quite respectable.  Additionally MLB revenues are growing every single year, and are on par with the NFL in total money generated.   

I just dont ever see us getting an MLB team here while the Sounds are in town.
And I dont think you really ever hear stories of minor league teams being replaced by pro teams.

I would have killed for a MLB stadium at the old thermal site, but, we got what we got....and now I would be very happy with an MLS team. Bring me a new tiny state of the art stadium on the east side of the river and lets go.

Hell, call them the Nashville Men in Black after Johnny Cash and have them wear all black uniforms.

• Like 3

Practically every major league baseball team (whether an expansion team or relocated) replaced a franchise in a minor league. Just in the past 55 years or so you had Seattle, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles that had previously had Pacific Coast League teams.  Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas, and Houston that had American Association teams. Atlanta was in the Southern League.  Toronto and Montreal were in the International League. Miami and St. Petersburg were in the Florida State League, as well as Grapefruit League (spring training). 

• Like 1

Having lived in Raleigh during the early 1990s, I can see that area getting a team. It was soccer crazy back then, and it only has one other pro team. Plus, they've got a nice fairgrounds with a renovated public stadium. I'm not familiar with their proposal, but they've got a good market for soccer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I just don't see how we can have everything ready to present by the end of January...specifically the stadium arrangements.

While I agree, the list of people working on this is a lot of heavyweights who if they were really making a push could get this done. 

• Like 2