Nashtitans

Soccer in Nashville

As long as the developer buys the 10 acres and develops it, I don't see why they'd have an issue.  Everything that's being proposed is a HUGE improvement over that eyesore.

• Like 1

Well, the U.S. men's national team failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup with a loss to Trinidad and Tobago tonight, the first time since 1986. MLS has got to be feeling pretty bummed as the excitement around the USMNT during the 2014 World Cup brought a ton of new fans to the sport. It will definitely be a huge blow to their growth over the next 4-year cycle. Dang.

• Sad 1

A telephone poll financed last week by Mayor Barry’s campaign committee, obtained by The Tennessean, found that 55 percent  support and 39 percent oppose building an MLS stadium at the city’s fairgrounds that would be paid for “using mostly private funds, with roughly 20 percent of the costs paid by Metro Nashville Government.”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/10/12/mayor-megan-barry-mass-transit-poll-nashville/758478001/

• Like 4

Nashville could potentially land a women's soccer team, should we get an MLS team. I would imagine MLS would be like the NBA, and effectively grant the cities with men's teams a woman's team. I would imagine women's soccer could be very popular in the US, and could also be another way for Ingram's team to pay off debt on the stadium.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports-business/article/20979234/mls-expansion-could-lead-to-womens-team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

Nashville could potentially land a women's soccer team, should we get an MLS team. I would imagine MLS would be like the NBA, and effectively grant the cities with men's teams a woman's team. I would imagine women's soccer could be very popular in the US, and could also be another way for Ingram's team to pay off debt on the stadium.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports-business/article/20979234/mls-expansion-could-lead-to-womens-team

The women's national team is really popular.  I think women's soccer would probably draw better than women's basketball.

• Like 1

Columbus Crew possibly relocating to Austin if new stadium not approved..

Could it affect Nashville's chance for landing a team?

From Sports Illustrated...

A source with knowledge of the situation says that if Columbus moves, and thus opens up some real estate in the Midwest, it will dramatically increase the chances that Cincinnati and even Detroit get expansion teams and essentially kill the chances of San Antonio. The source said owner Anthony Precourt would only move Columbus to Austin and is not considering a move to Detroit, Cincinnati or anywhere else.

It certainly strengthens Detroit's and Cincinnati's bids, it would seem. However, the MLS powers would have known about this for some time, even as they leaked news about Nashville being a favorite for a franchise.  I would not think this would affect the first round of franchise awards.

Edited by PHofKS
Other sources indicate move dependent on new stadium in Columbus
  • Like 3