Soccer in Nashville

Nashtitans

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

The older generation of Nashville are fighting change and that is normal as you get older, but a wise man carefully has to turn the leadership over to the younger folks and allow for change. The Fairgrounds is a dinosaur that's time has come to an end. I would rather see horse racing back at the Fairgrounds which was there before the auto racing. I am sure people tried to fight that too.

try explaining this to my father who has been going to that track since he was a boy, and still goes today.
he has been pissed about this proposal since the start.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bhibbs said:

try explaining this to my father who has been going to that track since he was a boy, and still goes today.
he has been pissed about this proposal since the start.

Since the proposal is to keep all the existing facilities AND make millions of investments into the Fairgrounds AND have the majority of increased tax revenue go back into The Fairgrounds, do you know why he is pissed?

Not a rhetorical question, I honestly don't understand. I could if the proposal was to tear down the racetrack and put the soccer stadium there. 

• Like 4

Just now, nashvylle said:

Since the proposal is to keep all the existing facilities AND make millions of investments into the Fairgrounds AND have the majority of increased tax revenue go back into The Fairgrounds, do you know why he is pissed?

Not a rhetorical question, I honestly don't understand. I could if the proposal was to tear down the racetrack and put the soccer stadium there. 

like Smeags said...it's change.
He also is upset that the fair board would not give the current ownership of the track a longer contract (something that has nothing to do with the proposal)

he just thinks he will be paying for something he doesnt want.

6 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Nothing to explain to the older generation. They either get it or they don't. Some of us embrace change and others resist. Change is the only constant in life to use an old cliché.

"Change." That is really one of the most meaningless words around, frequently used as a political bat. It's used by some as a virtue signal to others, as if it instantly means something better or preferable. If you don't define what you're explicitly attempting to "change", what you're agitating for may be something horrendous and destructive. More often than not, "change" means taking something good and what works and ruining it. <_<

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think change is an amazing thing. From my perspective just with working for multiple Fortune 500 companies, change is what drives innovation, efficiency, and so many other things. Sure it is not always a good thing, but I think steady state is much more destructive than "change".  That being said, they should change soccer.  Such a boring sport to watch     :ph34r:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Praying that Nashville can get one of the first two bids in December, and Detroit later on. 

Talking heads, Tony Meola and Brian Dunseth  on Sirius XM FC's afternoon national show Counterattack, yesterday pretty much said Nashville is a given for one of the four expansion slots.  I will be surprised if not, but first things first...let's hope the City Council passes this measure.

Interestingly enough the other three cities given as expansion winners would be Detroit, Cincinnati (especially given a move to Austin by Columbus) and Tampa Bay.  Where's Sacramento?  

A Columbus Crew move to Austin kills any chance for San Antonio; also interesting....CEO of Columbus Crew ownership group sits on, if not chairs, the MLS expansion committee.

32 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

A needed citation for a general impression about the world gathered through experience? If someone remarks that it’s hot outside do you require them to produce climate graphs proving it? 

He didn't say it was hot outside.  He said more often than not it's hot outside, which is a pretty meaningless statement unless you define what it means to be hot outside.  If you define 'hot' as 62 degrees or warmer, then this is an entirely sensible statement.  However if you define 'hot' as 75 degrees or warmer, then suddenly the statement would be incredibly inaccurate and anyone making such a claim ought to provide evidence to back it up.  

The issue isn't so much citation as making blanket statements that don't actually tell you anything useful without having defined things like what counts as good change, what's bad change, and what's this supposed time period when things were good and working well before change ruined it.

Citations and evidence would come into play only once everyone is on the same page about the parameters of the debate.  That's why everyone was talking past each other over the last few days about the Lifeway building.  It's the difference between saying that some people are happy to see that cross building come down (which is obviously true--of course some people feel that way) and saying that there is some widespread undercurrent of happiness at that cross building coming down (which might require a little evidence to be credible unless one is predisposed to believe it already).

2 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

A needed citation for a general impression about the world gathered through experience? If someone remarks that it’s hot outside do you require them to produce climate graphs proving it? 

If "change" was bad "more often than not," then we could safely extrapolate that humanity is worse off today than it has ever has been. Would you agree with that sentiment?

• Like 1